Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

Well, the Diamaris are on the wear markers and I can't wait any longer. I'm not about to spend ?1000 on more Diamaris or PZeros so was about to get some Proxes ST. Snag is, I'm a bit concerned that they are 275/40/20 106W instead of the OE 106Y.

The cheapest 106Y s I can find are Yokohama Advan ST (?160 each) which look great but I can't find any info on their wear rating and I'm worried they'll be too soft. Can't be any worse than Diamaris surely?

Has anyone got any advice on the speed rating issue or on the relative merits of the Yokohamas? Or any better suggestions for Ayers Rock tyres that won't wear out in a fortnight or empty my wallet?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Yoko 275/40R/20 treadwear rating of 320.
Traction rating AA
All assuming US compounds are the same as UK.
Pretty good.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
G

·
I have Hankook Ventus ST 106W on my 20's. They have a wear rating of 420 and seem very able on the back roads of Northants

I am guessing you are good to go with a W rating as this covers upto 168mph whereas a Y is 186.

I am fairly new to the forum but from research it does look like the Hankooks have a bit of a following on here

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

AA and 320 for the Yokos seems fine to me. There aren't that many AA tyres in that size. PZero Rossos are 220 and Grabber UHPs are 360 (W rated); I presume the Diamaris will be about the same as the PZeros so the Yokos should wear better?

I don't want to change sizes but thanks for that US tyre website; it's pretty good for the reviews and the Yokos came out well though I couldn't find Proxes.

I've now found the Yoko Advan STs for ?140 delivered or ?150 fitted. Proxes are ?124 fitted but they are W rated not Y so seems like the Yokos are the way to go.

Cheers for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hankooks are ?127 fitted so similar to the Proxes. I presume that harder wearing will mean less grip so it's just a case of deciding on a compromise. Any thoughts on whether Y rated are worth an extra ?20 each over W? And any ideas on how 420 rating versus 320 would translate to mileage?

·
27 Posts
I had the proxes fitted on my last treg (19" atheo wheels) and they were o.k...
Got the hankook ventus st's on my 20" ayres rock's, think they hold the road well, look good and are easily as good as the proxes in the wet.
Changed my bridgestones at 13,000 miles, but the hankooks look hardly worn after the 10,000 miles ive done on them.
Paid around ?100 each fitted, from event tyres.....

Stan.c........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They seem to have a great reputation but Event tyres don't fit in my area (Cheltenham) though to be honest the prices are easily matched elsewhere. To be fair they are competitive (ish) on Hancooks at ?135 fitted but some of the other prices are way off. Proxes at ?182, Diamaris at ?290!!!! Even with the discount for 4 it would cost over ?1100 for Diamaris which is just silly.

Shame as I could get them to come to work and fit but I can do better for price elsewhere. Tyretraders.com seems good on price if anyone else is looking. Proxes at ?143 for example. If you're doing 4 at once, ?39 per tyre soon adds up!

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Best price for Hankooks is usually from camskill, just need to find someone to either price match or fit them.

Hankooks have a great reputation for sensible cost:wear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered a set of Hankooks from Tyretraders.com for ?500 fitted. Yokos were an extra ?100 and since the Hankooks seem to have such a good reputation, I reckoned they were worth a go for ?100 saving and a higher wear rating.

Camskill were too expensive unfortunately and I couldn't get near Stans price of ?100 a corner, Events prices have gone up I think!

Thanks for the advice all, ended up with neither of my original options!!

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Given the wear ratings, I think the Hankooks will probably outlast the Grabber UHPs, but no one has reported on how good the former are - or not - off road.

Another Tregger reported that the Grabber UHPs and ATs are fitted to the Tourareg Unlimited cars that are used to show the marque off both off and on road, and this was the deciding reason I fitted the UHPs together with talking to a UHP booted Range Rover owner who drives to Russia every month come wind, rain, shine or snow.

I've had no problems - not even fiddling with the gizmo knob - on steep wet grass, mud, tracks and so on including visiting a keeper's cottage yesterday that was buried deep in the woods along a very, very muddy track, and accessing a house two miles off a main road during the recent very deep snow where only a 4wd John Deere tractor had gone before.

So if anyone can comment upon the Hankooks' off-road ability . . . .

·
27 Posts
Just checked... mine were actually ?408.. for 4 inc fitting etc ...
Had them fitted 6 months ago, so price must have gone up....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts