Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Touareg 2014, which ran for almost 45KM and the indicator light shows:

1. The indicator lights show for front or back breaks? or both?
2. How long can i go after the lights shows?
3. the dealership price is very high here in Saudi Arabia, any alternative choices? something that ships internationally?
4. Do i have to change the rotors or can i get away with resurfacing the rotors. This is a practice i see done here in the region, not sure if its done elsewhere.
Thanks
Mohamed

·
Registered
197 Posts
The warning light comes on as soon as one of the pad low level sensors are triggered so it could be any one of the brakes, you will need to do a visual check to see if it's the front or rear that are the most worn. .The wear limit is 2mm of friction material, the sensors are triggered at 4mm friction material remaining, so you probably have a few quite a few KM's before you get to the absolute wear limit.

If there is no wear ridge on the brake disc, (the wear limit is dependant on what size discs you have, for the front, the 330mm diameter discs new are 32mm and the limit is 30mm, the 368mm diameter discs new are 36mm and the limit is 34mm, the rear discs are 330mm diameter and new are 28mm and the limit is 26mm) you will not need to replace/resurface them just put new pads and wear sensors.

This company Brakes | Car Brakes & Brake Parts Online | Euro Car Parts does offer international shipping but how the price compares I wouldn't know when you add in the shipping costs ?

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
As you have already been advised at length on clubtouareg you need to inspect and measure the thickness of your discs to see if they will still be serviceable during the life of another set of pads.

You most definitely cannot turn the discs since, as you can see from the helpful post above, the wear tolerance is very small.

Some people have been able to get two sets of pads to one set of discs but the norm is that the discs and pads are replaced together.

Your wear rate is exceptionally poor.

Most people get 60,000 miles and more out of their brakes, and many get 100,000 miles.

Your high wear rate could be down to your driving style and/or where you drive, but I'd certainly recommend inspecting the brakes very carefully as soon as possible to see what has caused the light to come on.

It could be you have plenty of friction material but one of the wear pads is faulty, or you may have a faulty caliper so, once again, your brakes need a proper inspection to see what's going on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you have already been advised at length on clubtouareg you need to inspect and measure the thickness of your discs to see if they will still be serviceable during the life of another set of pads.

You most definitely cannot turn the discs since, as you can see from the helpful post above, the wear tolerance is very small.

Some people have been able to get two sets of pads to one set of discs but the norm is that the discs and pads are replaced together.

Your wear rate is exceptionally poor.

Most people get 60,000 miles and more out of their brakes, and many get 100,000 miles.

Your high wear rate could be down to your driving style and/or where you drive, but I'd certainly recommend inspecting the brakes very carefully as soon as possible to see what has caused the light to come on.

It could be you have plenty of friction material but one of the wear pads is faulty, or you may have a faulty caliper so, once again, your brakes need a proper inspection to see what's going on.
Thank you very much for that insight.
the break light warning light disappeared now. Which is strange for me.

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
That sounds like you may have a poor connection to one of the wear sensors.

Get the brakes checked over and get a written report on your pad and disc thickness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like you may have a poor conception to one of the wear sensors.

Get the brakes checked over and get a written report on orh pad and disc thickness.
Hello,
Unfortunately, we don't have that here. its either replace or keep.

However, i am trying to get new break pads, do you guys recommend anything? i found here Textar .. not sure if they are a good quality.
thanks
Mohamed

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hello,

However, i am trying to get new break pads, do you guys recommend anything? i found here Textar .. not sure if they are a good quality.
thanks
Mohamed
Textar are good enough for Ireland, not sure about the hotter climate

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
22 Posts
Brake pads that operate at 500C dont really see the difference between 20C in Ireland and 40C in Saudi. Textar are one of the largest actual makers of pads in Europe and a OEM supplier to VAG so their pads should be good

cheers
Rohan

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
Good point!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Brake pads that operate at 500C dont really see the difference between 20C in Ireland and 40C in Saudi. Textar are one of the largest actual makers of pads in Europe and a OEM supplier to VAG so their pads should be good

cheers
Rohan
20C in Ireland???? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I was more alluding to environmental factors like the presence of significant sand in air a ground, good roads, higher speeds and so forth, but I take your point on ambient temperature (y)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

thanks
Mohamed
Salam Mohamed. I just found this post and also on ClubTouareg. I've got a 2009 Touareg with a petrol 3.6L V6.
Last year I was looking to replace the brakes and it seems that Textar is pretty much the only choice for any Touareg here in Bahrain as well, unless you buy from the dealer, that is. I ended up ordering front and rear pads and front discs from a Brembo dealer in Dubai. If you'd like their contact info you can send me a message.

I didn't replace the rear discs as they were still good and also because the Brembo dealer didn't have them at the time, but will definitely replace them at the next brake service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello All,
just to let everyone know, i have replaced my pads this week both rear and front. I surfaced the rotors. So far no issues. but its been only a week.
i realized that the dealer here is ripping me off. The breakpads that came off from my car were Textar (although i replaced them at VW dealer).
I bought the below parts. and i will let you know what happens.
Brake Pad Set, disc brake BREMBO P 85 110
48_P_85_110​
1​
Warning Contact, brake pad wear BREMBO A 00 453
48_A_00_453​
1​
Brake Pad Set, disc brake BREMBO P 65 027
48_P_65_027​
1​
Warning Contact, brake pad wear BREMBO A 00 452
48_A_00_452​
1​

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
There was absolutely no point in so many of us giving you sound advice to stay safe, was there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello,
i understand what many have said, but i also see many cars that did 1 resurface on rotors and they survived.
Many dealers, advise to replace but the rotors can tolerate more.
I will keep all of you updated on what will happen.
thank you

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
There's no point in giving you the correct safe advice if you are going to completely ignore by using an unsafe cheapskate process which may put yourself, your passengers and other road users at risk.

If you can't maintain the car properly, sell it.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
22 Posts
The OP has made a judgment and thats up to him. It is not compulsory or even sensible to follow a lot of advice posted on forums. You do need to know enough to know what is possible or not and what advice from posters or VW to follow and what not

Mehiemeed. if you refaced the disks what was the thickness before and after refacing and how many kms have the disks done, as this will all be valuable information in understanding wear rates and what is practical to do or not.

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's no point in giving you the correct safe advice if you are going to completely ignore by using an unsafe cheapskate process which may put yourself, your passengers and other road users at risk.

If you can't maintain the car properly, sell it.
Hello,
I personally do not agree with term or use cheapskate. I will assume you have my best interest at heart, and i will continue to assume that. However, you do not know what is my current financial situation, nor have much details of the problem to use such a word.
Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello All,

Let me share my point of you here, many OEM's say you have limits, but those limits are very exaugurated. This is my first time in my life to ever surface a rotor. Hence, this is why i came this form to ask these questions.

I bought the rotors new at 67,000KM (they survived for 5 years and 67,000KM). When i went to dealer at 100,000KM they did not say anything about polishing or surfacing the rotors or even changing them. They were within limits.

I see many mechanics resurface rotors during the life time of the rotors (once or twice max). I believe its easier for them to replaced then to surface. However, they resurface anyways.
So my question, What is the harm of surfacing? what can mechanically go wrong? the grip wont hold as strong? the break pads wont hold to the rotors well? should you feel that when and replace them?

Following what the OEM always advise, can limit what we can do and able to do.

Thanks as always ..
Mohamed

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Resurfacing brake disks (rotors) is only needed when the surfaces have some rusting or there is a lip on the outer rim and only where the thickness of disks have not gone below the manufacturers recommended limits. Resurfacing might also be considered to true up discs when replacing worn brake pads, but generally, it’s a practice that is not needed during routine pad changes.

Resurfacing can be done on the car thereby minimising labour costs as a comparison to replacing the discs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Resurfacing brake disks (rotors) is only needed when the surfaces have some rusting or there is a lip on the outer rim and only where the thickness of disks have not gone below the manufacturers recommended limits. Resurfacing might also be considered to true up discs when replacing worn brake pads, but generally, it’s a practice that is not needed during routine pad changes.

Resurfacing can be done on the car thereby minimising labour costs as a comparison to replacing the discs.
Hello,
Here, its not, we remove then, take them to a resurface shop, and they bring them back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts