Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Treg has just developed a strange minor fault- when I switch off the engine the wipers move a couple of inches up the screen and stay there.

If I restart the engine they stay in the slightly higher position and if I then flick the lever to give a ?flick-wipe? they just go down back to the normal ?park? position rather than actually wiping the screen.

As a note- the wipers are not switched to the Auto/rain-sensing setting but are in the ?off position? so should be at the very botton of the screen.

When I have used them before in the Auto mode they tended to rest in this higher position whilst on intermittent wipe and then drop to the lower parked position when there was little or no rain- so I am guessing there is an issue with the control unit.

For info- I noticed when I got the car 3 weeks ago that when using the wash-wipe function the wipers sweep automatically but do not give that extra final Flick-wipe after a few seconds so it could be related?.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cas

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
My wipers appear to work exactly as yours, Cas. They jump when I switch off. I haven't really paid much attention to exactly where they jump, but jump they do. Mine stay in the auto position.

And we've exchanged posts on the flick-wipe thing too. If you have got a problem with the parking thing - I don't think it's related to the final flick-wipe thing. Mine only does the extra 'delayed' flick sometimes, only if there's water to be flicked off. The rear wiper does the additional flick all the time, incidentally, in the way you described that you were hoping your front did.

HTH

Chris

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I understand that it is 'normal' for the wipers to move slightly up the screen on shut down.

I have read that stopping the wipers from resting in the same place each time helps to prolong blade life but I believe that the more plausible explanation has to do with winter weather.

Apparently the wipers 'stop' slightly higher up the screen as this helps to reduce the capture of residual water which then turns to ice. With the wipers slightly higher, they defrost quicker (capture more heat from blowers), it is easier to remove excess ice below the wiper blade and the position allows some 'wriggle' room to free the blade when frozen to the screen!

Cheers,
John.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The strange thing is it only does it sometimes.
Tuesday every time I stopped the engine they moved up and when I drove the car and flicked the lever down to give one wipe of the screen they did not wipe and instead just went down a cople of inches.
Yesterday they worked fine then today the first time I stopped the car they popped up and then for the rest of the day they have been fine.
I have asked the dealer to check them next week when I get the Bluetooth Premier kit fitted.

Cas

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Cas said:
I have asked the dealer to check them next week when I get the Bluetooth Premier kit fitted.

Cas
Cas,

Any chance you could get some pics of the Bluetooth Premier Kit install ? Thinking about doing this myself.

During installation would be nice but post install is fine

Cass

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to leave the car with them for the day so I wont be there myself but I will post some pics of it in use afterwards.

I gather it is not quite plug-n-play. The dealer?s Treg Tech is fitting the buttons on the wheel, then an outside company used by the dealer?s sales team is fitting the Premier Kit (crazy I know? but apparently cheaper labour rates than an internal cost-charge for the Treg Tech to do everything) then the Treg Tech will use vag.com to change the settings to enable the buttons and also the phone kit.

You can use the Premier Kit without having the steering wheel button fitted ? when a call comes in the Nav display should show a ?accept/decline? option and you can use the touch screen to dial out or search the phone book- but as the Bluetooth was part of the deal to buy the car I wanted the full-monty.

Apparently the sales team and external company tried unsuccessfully to do the same job on a Golf GTi a few weeks ago without involving Carl (the Treg Tech). They could not get the phone to work even though the Golf already has the phone-button on the steering wheel until Carl had changed the vag.com settings.

Cas

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got my Treg back from the dealer after 2 and ? days in the shop.

They can?t fault/explain the problem with wipers- they agree that they normally do an extra ?flick-wipe? after a short pause after the wash-wipe cycle but don?t know why mine don?t. The dealer principle has an 09 Treg as his car and this does the extra wipe. Re the wipers jumping up intermittently when you switch off the engine- the Dealer Principles car does not do this but they tell me Passats do this to preserve the wiper blades so they think it could be a new feature

Whilst in they did the spoiler recall (you would have though that a 3 week old car would have already had this done but no?).

Also the Bluetooth was finally fitted.

It turns out they did not fit the exact VW item but instead they (via a local In-Car Electronics form) have fitted a Fiscon kit by a German company called Kaufatec that from the user point of view seems to do everything the normal VW Bluetooth system does (it works via the touch screen and also the steering wheel buttons if fitted and plays Phone-music via Bluetooth). I will do a separate post and some pics later.
FYI- I believe the local firm charge about ?450 pound for this- fitted - but without the extra steering wheel buttons (my dealer picked up the bill and added the buttons as part of the deal).

Cas

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
"Whilst in they did the spoiler recall (you would have though that a 3 week old car would have already had this done but no?)."

Take out two or three of the plastic parts that are easy to remove.

Turn them over and see what the date stamp is is to find out roughly when your car was actually made as that may explain why the spoiler still needed fixing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts