Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought seeing that I have just got the treg and read how important it is to have correct pressures for this vehicle, I proceeded to the garage to check them.

Tyre size is 235/65R17 103v and pressures are 35psi front and 36psi back unladen. 36psi front and 44psi back laden.

What I came across was 46psi front and 45psi back and thought wtf? Obviously some nobber has just put any old psi in.

I had to let out air to the corrects pressures but it felt weird letting air out as appose to putting it in. weird I know, but as every man in the land there is that sense of fullfillment after blowing your tyres up.

What I was wondering is I noticed that there is cracking of the tyres between the treads. Doesnt look too bad but still it is there. Is this caused through the over inflation of the tyres, and is it a major problem or will it be ok now I've righted the problem?

·
317 Posts
In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't say the tyre would be damaged by the levels of over inflation mentioned. It's not far off the fully ladened requirements afterall.

Cracking, I would say would be down to age of tyres and long periods of inactivity. Can't comment on level of deterioration but I would say keep an eye on them and the first signs of things getting any worse or loss of bits from the tread and change them.

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Socks! You are a very helpful member!

Its only done 7.5k miles on a 57 (07) plate so its well under the miles so maybe as you say it was laid up for a while.

Do you think I was right to let out the pressure....or of left it the way it was?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
High'n'dry said:
Thanks Socks! You are a very helpful member!

Its only done 7.5k miles on a 57 (07) plate so its well under the miles so maybe as you say it was laid up for a while.

Do you think I was right to let out the pressure....or of left it the way it was?
If by letting the air out the tyres are now at their correct pressure then you've done the right thing

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Thinking about your cuts.
Bear in mind these tyres are a soft compound and do pick up cuts easily from stone chips.
Mine have minor surface cuts.
Obviously deep cuts have to be investigated.

·
106 Posts
I was again reminded today by my VW service department that the presures should be 45psi.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Recommended tyre pressures (and sizes) can easily be found - look at the sticker on the inside of the front door pillar.

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chrisbin said:
Recommended tyre pressures (and sizes) can easily be found - look at the sticker on the inside of the front door pillar.
Yes, but mine is on the drivers door and that is he data I followed.

I was again reminded today by my VW service department that the presures should be 45psi.
Is that for my size of tyre though?
:

Im gonna phone VW dealer service today, will let you know

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 275/40/20 tyres on and when I recently got the car back from VW I found that they had overinflated them compared to the pressures shown on the plate by the drivers door!

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
see.....

im starting to see a pattern now! maybe the supplied info is flawed or the psi rates they give are for off roading..I personally think so, but why are professionals over inflating tyre?

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just phoned VW and was told that they could not give me technical advice over the phone....

Theyre only tyre pressures ffs....why do people make life harder than it need be!

A manager is going to call me back...lol

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok the manger just called, this is his advice:

Unladen
34.9psi rear
37.7psi front

Laden
43.5psi all round.

as mentioned, sticker on car is =

unladen
36psi rear
35psi front

laden
44psi rear
36psi front

So there is clearly a wrong advice given out. Something so simple as tyre pressures..It makes you wonder does it not! :roll:

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
On my '53 3.2, I run at 36 psi all round on 255/60/17s just as I did on 235/65/17s.

Makers' tyre pressures are recommended values but can be adjusted to taste as long as you don't significantly impact the handling of the vehicle to cause serious under or oversteer.

Running at the pressures you originally found will cause the centre of the tyres to wear very quickly so, if you are not running with a fully laden car or at continuous high speed on the autobahns, I think the lower pressures are correct.

I do most of my mileage on my own, unladen, and I carry 80kgs of lead under the rear seat as ballast which improves the rear axle ride. It makes a big difference and the car is more comfortable, though my new Grabber UHPs have also made a HUGE difference and completely transformed the car.

G

·
noobytoogy said:
I carry 80kgs of lead under the rear seat as ballast
You're kidding :shock:

You are wasting fuel.

You are risking nasty injuries if it breaks loose in a sudden stop or accident.

Cheers, Andy

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Don't worry, I'm not daft having seen an Alsation left loose on a back seat break the necks of its husband and wife owners in the front of their old 3.8 Jag many years ago, and seeing a valve from a tank being carried on a lorry fly off and go through the windscreen of a car travelling in the opposite direction taking the head off the mother whose baby was on the back seat, and seeing a child killed on Christmas Eve one year when a brewery driver put a full keg of beer on the passenger seat of his cab instead of the flat bed and the bouncing blew the bung causing him to hit a car travelling in the opposite direction.

Having run a fleet of trucks where an insecure load meant instant dismissal for drivers [no appeal, just a P45 - aah, those were the days!], you can rest assured that the 80kg is well secured but can be removed in less than 2 minutes if I want to load the car up for any reason.

I've done this before with other cars that have benefited from a bit of weight over the rear axle to improve the ride and/or balance of the car.

And as for wasting fuel, c'mon that's a joke on a 2.5 tonne car that's only doing 11-13 mpg on most of my short distance, low mileage. Your fuel tank from empty to full is not far off that weight, or a passenger, so the difference isn't worth trying to calculate and if you did, it would probably only amount to a rapid launch seeing off some annoying little toerag at the lights in his 1.2 Vauxhall Boom Box!

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
noobytoogy said:
I do most of my mileage on my own, unladen, and I carry 80kgs of lead under the rear seat as ballast which improves the rear axle ride. It makes a big difference and the car is more comfortable, though my new Grabber UHPs have also made a HUGE difference and completely transformed the car.
Does your local church have a leaky roof?

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Nimrod said:
noobytoogy said:
No - I just bought too much ballast for my boat!!

·
317 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Nimrod said:
noobytoogy said:
No - I just bought too much ballast for my boat!!
Noobs,

I think you may have stumbled on a way of beating the depreciation problem. I reckon thats about ?160.00 worth of lead.

Sling some more in....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts