Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
elo treggies....

Coming up to 70k on my 2nd Treg - contis are coming to the end of life. I fancy either General Grabbers UHPs or Hankooks for their renowned long life. Heard good things about Event tyres on here and am thinking about giving them a call for a home visit. Any recent experiences of Event tyres? Hankook versus General Grabbers what with the winter coming any thoughts treggies? any other sensible suggestions for alternatives?

·
106 Posts
I have found Nexen Roadian to be very hard wearing (30k miles, as opposed to 10k with factory fitted Pirellis). They grip well too. They might be slightly noisier, but I'm not sure about that - it's not a major difference.

http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show= ... ile=255/55

I think they have a wear rating of 400 (and I think that means 4X better than a standard tyre)

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Winter = Vredestein. More sipes and more silicone therefore more grip in ice and snow below 7 deg C as the tyre remains flexible. Other www recommendations rate it as an all year round tyre with good wear.

And yes, Event are very good.

Here's a pic from the other supplier mentioned on here, Camskill:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s1516p6016

·
749 Posts
Used Event recently, had 4 grabbers fitted, recomend both. wear rating for grabbers is 320, only done a few hundred miles on them so not in a postion to give a longterm review. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk might be some assistance in helping you decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

I just wanted to add my recent tyre changing experiencew. I had Event Tyres change all four tyres on my Touareg. The Job they did was superb, very impressed with level of service. After much consideration, I ended up replacing the original Brigestone Dueler HPs as they drove well and lasted 25,000miles before I changed them with just over 2mm left.

Hope this is of use.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Clarkyi,
You've driven Touareg Unlimited cars with Grabbers and seen what they're capable of,that's why i went for them.
Hankook would also be a good choice if you want longevity and do big miles.
i'd go for Grabbers again,they're v quiet as well.

·
40 Posts
I went for the hankook been out in snow and ice all weekend realy grip well so they get the thumbs up from me only just fitted them bought from camskill at ?107.00 per corner not bad for 275/45/20's got my own changer so no fitting charge and they are reputed to wear well

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have gone for Grabbers, being fitted next week by Event I hope they turn outr to be as good as everyone states under ?650 for the four even comng outside of their area to fit for a little extra built into price.

Thanks for all your advice treggies

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
15 inches of snow and ice - no problems on UHPs.

G

·
I went for a drive last night up Glen Nevis at the foot of Ben nevis and although the snow was not that perticularly thick is was definitely icy and the road is like a rollercoaster track weaving and diving. The UHP grabbers that were fitted to my car a couple of weeks ago performed brilliantly. I have not tried any other tyre besides the ones that came with the car but the UHP's are just everything I could want. Not even the slightest grip loss. Also tonight I drove up a very steep snow covered dirst track and the car went up it like the snow was not even there, or the dirt for that matter.......Grab some grabbers ......

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Ultrawong said:
I went for a drive last night up Glen Nevis at the foot of Ben nevis and although the snow was not that perticularly thick is was definitely icy and the road is like a rollercoaster track weaving and diving. The UHP grabbers that were fitted to my car a couple of weeks ago performed brilliantly. I have not tried any other tyre besides the ones that came with the car but the UHP's are just everything I could want. Not even the slightest grip loss. Also tonight I drove up a very steep snow covered dirst track and the car went up it like the snow was not even there, or the dirt for that matter.......Grab some grabbers ......
To all those non Grabber users.....don't say we didn't tell you!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
And tonight no problems on compacted sheet ice in heavy rain [and thunder and lightning!], just a need to be sensible and use tiptronic to adjust speed gently.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Even experienced drivers come unstuck.

Sadly two people died on this coach in Cornwall last night.

I just hope the police car didn't hit anyone as it arrived on scene out of control.

Coach crash.jpg[/attachment:wdahche1]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts