Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

Which tyres for my Altitude?

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Topcat 
#1 ·
Hi

I replaced the tyres on our treg last February and am astonished that after only 11,000 miles they are spent?!?!?!?

I currently have the Pirrelli Rosso's but at ?250 a corner am thinking about something that will wear a little longer - does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

#2 ·
Lots and lots of posts on tyre choices, if you want a good read, check the search function up on the right... (search on the following tyre brands)

But consensus is General Grabber UHP's, Hankook Ventus come top, Grabbers being the choice of the Touareg Unlimited guys for offroad grip and all round use.

Personally running Hankooks, and they're brilliant for traction, smoother ride, and wearing very well.

I'll never use another set of Pirelli's or Michelin's on the Treg, although they're very grippy, didn't make it past 10k on each set, so at 11k, you've done well..!!

#3 ·
just had the general grabbers fitted, cant answer the mileage yet but some on here suggesting 30k. They have been brill on the 9" to 1' of snow we have had. not slipped once and no need to engage low range at all. had hankooks on a previous vehicle and got 60k out of them so either should see you fine

#4 ·
I have to agree with Clarkyi. Before putting Grabber UHPs on our Altitude I have stuck with "major" (tyre) brands.
However we now have the Grabbers on the TReg and it has transformed the handling and improved the ride comfort.
Went out yesterday in the snow - we have about a foot of snow here near Oxford Airport. TReg has been totally safe and secure in the conditions.

#11 ·
Alright guys! I'm now in need of some new tyres for the front! The tyre to have a couple of years back were the hankooks but in two years and 8000 miles later I expected a bit more mileage out of them ( thats with the mrs driving it carting the kids around so not exactly any harsh driving going on) so what are you guys getting out of these General grabbers uhps ?
Cheers topcat

#5 ·
A few years ago after a heavy fall, I woke my young sons up and we went tobogganing at 3 am on the steep A44 in the middle of Woodstock near London Oxford Airport [it's recently been renamed!]!

#8 ·
Very cold steel!

The road is a V shaped valley in the town and usually becomes impassable with anything over 3 inches of snow as there is not a lot of traffic on it now since the M40 opened apart from some Evesham hauliers getting fruit and veg to Covent Garden at around 11 pm and once the first lorry gets stranded in the bottom, that's it until around noon the next day!

#9 ·
noobytoogy said:
A few years ago after a heavy fall, I woke my young sons up and we went tobogganing at 3 am on the steep A44 in the middle of Woodstock near London Oxford Airport [it's recently been renamed!]!
Wow! Tobogganing in the TReg?

I heard the same thing about the "London"-Oxford Airport thing. Made the news as London is quite a long way from Kidlington.

#10 ·
No Treg then - a 7 series sufficed for the daily trip to Heathrow and was a car I wish I had never sold!

#14 ·
Unlikely to have had any significant bearing TC - abnormal tyre wear is not unknown with the Treg and with anything around 8k you should be talking to your dealer to see if they can get VW to replace them with a small contribution from yourself. That way you may get a set of subsidised new boots but not necessarily the branded tyres of your choice.

Cass

#18 ·
I think Hankooks very good value in miles of wear and terms of ride. Hankoooks are a harder compound therefore the wear characteristics give more miles and less scrub factor. The ride is slightly harder however I find them good alround tyre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.