Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post here as I’ve just bought a 2016 R line 262. I’m struggling to find an exact match for my set up, which must be quite common. I’ve researched the forum ( which is awesome ) but still unsure…

I want a detachable, invisible when detached, R line compatible, ALKO stabiliser compatible tow bar.

Looks like Westfalia is closest but there’s two types. One says not Alko the other says visible cut !?

anyone know the best option here?

many thanks

ps I know about the fan upgrade from this excellent resource 👍

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi all, my first post here as I’ve just bought a 2016 R line 262. I’m struggling to find an exact match for my set up, which must be quite common. I’ve researched the forum ( which is awesome ) but still unsure…

I want a detachable, invisible when detached, R line compatible, ALKO stabiliser compatible tow bar.

Looks like Westfalia is closest but there’s two types. One says not Alko the other says visible cut !?

many thanks

Got a westfalia on mine and it’s all hidden under the rear bumper with no cutting necessary by the fitters.
Mine was installed by professional retrofits of Nuneaton.

make sure you specify the fridge feed as part of the job.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
It was only the T1 that required a cut unless you bought the replacement lower bumper cover and hatch. I seem to remember T2's having a removable panel anyway and T3/T4 have a huge permanent opening.

Reactions: T4Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Any "swan-neck" detachable will be compatible with the ALKO hitch - and any "bolted ball" type will be compatible IF an Alko-compatible ball is used.

I checked Westfalia and they state "invisible cut" VW Touareg – 321736600001_256 – Westfalia-Automotive
Thanks for taking the time to post the link. Its this PF Jones page that seems to contradict Westfalia's information by stating the bumper cut IS visible on R line and also states it is NOT Alko compatible.. I'm not sure if this is the exact same bar you quoted as I cant see a part number on the PF Jones page, but I expect it is. I agree from my limited knowledge of detachable swan necks, that most if not all are Alko are compatible in so much as they have sufficient 'height' below the ball however I think I've read this is about clearance to the bumper especially when turning sharp. I'm not convinced though as the pics on PF Jones look fine so I'm really not sure why they are quoting its not Alko compatible 🤷‍♂️

PF Jones link

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got a westfalia on mine and it’s all hidden under the rear bumper with no cutting necessary by the fitters.
Mine was installed by professional retrofits of Nuneaton.

make sure you specify the fridge feed as part of the job.
Thanks - I'm not a million miles away from them so may just book in there!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks - I'm not a million miles away from them so may just book in there!
Best price I found and did a great job. check out their website.

If you’ve got an r-line plus then there could well be a clearance issue with the bumper and alko head. Mine is a 2015 r-line and I don’t get any clearance problems.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,991 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post the link. Its this PF Jones page that seems to contradict Westfalia's information by stating the bumper cut IS visible on R line and also states it is NOT Alko compatible.. I'm not sure if this is the exact same bar you quoted as I cant see a part number on the PF Jones page, but I expect it is. I agree from my limited knowledge of detachable swan necks, that most if not all are Alko are compatible in so much as they have sufficient 'height' below the ball however I think I've read this is about clearance to the bumper especially when turning sharp. I'm not convinced though as the pics on PF Jones look fine so I'm really not sure why they are quoting its not Alko compatible 🤷‍♂️

It does ring a bell that there's an issue with bumper clearance rather than ball-neck clearance - it may be a difference between R-Line and SE/Escape.

·
Registered
On order: MY22 Black Edition TSi - towbar, ambient light, BSM, massage seats, TPMS, heated screen
20 Posts
Out of interest, is the factory towbar Alko-compatible?

·
Registered
On order: MY22 Black Edition TSi - towbar, ambient light, BSM, massage seats, TPMS, heated screen
20 Posts
Hopefully the T5 is as well then!

·
Registered
309 Posts
It does ring a bell that there's an issue with bumper clearance rather than ball-neck clearance - it may be a difference between R-Line and SE/Escape.
I did a load of research into this and the r-line plus has a different rear bumper profile to the previous r-line which caused problems with fouling.

On mine the outfit I used sent me pictures of a caravan hooked onto my model demonstrating adequate clearance so I went ahead and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts

many thanks

I have a 2017 R-Line Plus and had this Witter VW46AQ unit fitted at Hedley's Towing Centres in Durham when I bought the car from Pulman VW. They were recommended by Pulman who organised the fitting. It included the full integrated electrics connected via 5 fuses (Nos.1,2,3,4 & 42), total cost was £573. All works perfectly and the car knows when the caravan is connected. They have to remove the original rear crash bar and replace it with a cross beam incorporating the detachable towball mount which is ALKO compatible.

Attachments

Reactions: T4Chris and Cass

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 2017 R-Line Plus and had this Witter VW46AQ unit fitted at Hedley's Towing Centres in Durham when I bought the car from Pulman VW. They were recommended by Pulman who organised the fitting. It included the full integrated electrics connected via 5 fuses (Nos.1,2,3,4 & 42), total cost was £573. All works perfectly and the car knows when the caravan is connected. They have to remove the original rear crash bar and replace it with a cross beam incorporating the detachable towball mount which is ALKO compatible.

Only comment I would have is with the blanking plate Witter provide to cover the fitting when the bars removed. Had the same setup on my old Volvo and wasn't happy with the fitting of it and it never seemed that secure. The Westfalia cover is a much better solution and easier to fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for the help. So to round off the thread, responses and my other research on the topic:

For an R line / Invisible (ish ) / Alko compatible bar there are two options, the Witter and Westfalia. The latter is the preference for most as (1) less bumper cut and less visible when removed (2) Westfalia are the OEM (albeit they're owned by the same parent company ) and (3) Better plastic cap

For an R line PLUS - There is (seemingly) only one option if you want removable/invisible and will tow something with an Alko stabiliser - That is the Witter one in lieu of the difference bumper profile creating clearance issues with others.

And finally if you want a fixed towbar, either Swan neck or flange style there's lots of options and clearance is not a concern.

Thanks again, what a great group. Knowing this exists is a great confidence booster when splashing out into a previously unfamiliar model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you all for the help. So to round off the thread, responses and my other research on the topic:

For an R line / Invisible (ish ) / Alko compatible bar there are two options, the Witter and Westfalia. The latter is the preference for most as (1) less bumper cut and less visible when removed (2) Westfalia are the OEM (albeit they're owned by the same parent company ) and (3) Better plastic cap

For an R line PLUS - There is (seemingly) only one option if you want removable/invisible and will tow something with an Alko stabiliser - That is the Witter one in lieu of the difference bumper profile creating clearance issues with others.

And finally if you want a fixed towbar, either Swan neck or flange style there's lots of options and clearance is not a concern.

Thanks again, what a great group. Knowing this exists is a great confidence booster when splashing out into a previously unfamiliar model.
I'm really happy with the Witter and nothing much is that visible unless you get down on your knees and look under the rear bumper, certainly it's not really noticeable when standing behind the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts