Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just wanted to say I swapped my wheels over at the weekend and while they were off I had a quick look at the brakes. Printed on the back of the front pads, just visible above the caliper, was the word "Pagid". I don't know if they are the original pads or if they also have VW printed on them but will update once I change them. For now, I'm pleased I ordered the Pagid discs and pads.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Something that has just come to mind - would people change all discs/pads at the same time or do one axle at a time and then leave a week or so between doing each axle so that the new pads/discs have time to bed in before doing the second axle?
Just thinking there will most likely be reduced braking effect for a little while as the pads/discs bed in and that would be doubly so if all were done at once.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
Good point - rarely done tho' as I expect garages may price the all four job a bit cheaper than front, wait a bit then rear.

When all four have been done on mine it hasn't bothered me taking it easy for a couple of days until things bedded in.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
if you do a full disc,pad & sensor change on a V6 treg smarty for under £500 you should give yourself a large pat on the back & maybe even treat yourself to a mars bar
top job & i wish i was mechanically minded
my project this week is all new handrails & spindles on stairs & landing which iv'e had in garage for 2 years , seemed a good time to start over the weekend with carrera in dock for brake job

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
my project this week is all new handrails & spindles on stairs & landing which iv'e had in garage for 2 years
You should be alright...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
... if you just take it one step at a time

·
Super Moderator
15,625 Posts
if you do a full disc,pad & sensor change on a V6 treg smarty for under £500 you should give yourself a large pat on the back & maybe even treat yourself to a mars bar
top job & i wish i was mechanically minded
my project this week is all new handrails & spindles on stairs & landing which iv'e had in garage for 2 years , seemed a good time to start over the weekend with carrera in dock for brake job
Wilco - you have got it all wrong

You buy an old Carrera to do the work yourself and never do a DIY job with less than 3 years planning (out of warranty so needs even more careful consideration)

Cass

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
£463 was the total cost in the end. Hopefully I'll do it soon. Certainly sooner than the noticeboard my wife bought about a year ago to go on the wall of her home office. It's still on the floor on the landing!

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As I started the thread - I'd best give an update as to my experience!
)

I managed to get discs, pads and sensors all rounde from www.brakesint.co.uk for £318

Fitted at the local garage for 190

All in £508, and didnt even need to get my hands dirty! Result!

Bad news is that I also had to spend £700 on tyres, my tax is due, oh and the fornt right suspension spring has snapped too! Brilliant timing!!!! :eek:s

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've done my front discs, pads and sensors and they were pretty easy and straightforward (once I had all the right tools!).
Only slight hitches were that one of the pads was stuck in the caliper on one side so took a while to get it out and then one of the pad retaining pins on the other side wouldn't come out. Some WD40, time to let it soak in and then a bigger hammer sorted it though!

The rear is another matter though. I've finally got the right size spline bits for the parking brake adjustment access screw (M5) and the caliper retaining bolts (M16) BUT I can't shift the caliper retaining bolts. There's not much room to get a long bar on and they're proper tight. Need an air tool I think, which I don't have.
I'll either have to find someone that has one I can borrow or give up and get a garage to do it for me

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
The rear is another matter though. I've finally got the right size spline bits for the parking brake adjustment access screw (M5) and the caliper retaining bolts (M16) BUT I can't shift the caliper retaining bolts. There's not much room to get a long bar on and they're proper tight. Need an air tool I think, which I don't have.
I'll either have to find someone that has one I can borrow or give up and get a garage to do it for me
The trick is to remove the caliper from the bracket first (7mm allen key on ATE brakes) and then the bracket bolts are far more accessible.
An extension bar on the bottom bolt and the breaker bar through the V of the wishbone works a treat. Top one is easy enough.
Tha'ts what I have been doing this morning. Although I fitted new rear discs around 6000 miles ago the winter weather and general lack of used meant that they were F*****d.
So a new pair gone on.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Simo
your searching seems to have paid off so well done.

I have ran with EBC on a former car and they were not that good to be honest.
Very dusty and soon reached brake fade

the pagid replacements were far more successful.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The trick is to remove the caliper from the bracket first (7mm allen key on ATE brakes) and then the bracket bolts are far more accessible.
An extension bar on the bottom bolt and the breaker bar through the V of the wishbone works a treat. Top one is easy enough.
Tha'ts what I have been doing this morning. Although I fitted new rear discs around 6000 miles ago the winter weather and general lack of used meant that they were F*****d.
So a new pair gone on.
The Brembo brakes are different and it is the caliper I am trying to get off. Father in law has air gun so might have to take it over there. Either that or I'm thinking putting the rear wheels up on ramps might give me the extra height to get the long bar on without it hitting the ground. Just need to find the time to do it what with work, 2 young kids and a triathlon to train for!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
With the help of my local tyre place (thanks Watling Tyres, Swanley for lending me your ramp) and eventually their air gun as well I finally managed to get the rear caliper bolts undone. Now I just need to do the discs and pads. Very impressed with the Pagid front discs and pads. Great bite and feel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone tried AutoDoc. Its a german firm,so delivery is about one to two weeks. Ive used them quite a bit,and thy have a good selection. With good prices,Delivery is free if the Order is £130 + ( this needs to be verified) All deliverie's are tracked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
AUTODOC app is great .
Maybe 4 or 5 days to arrive but worth the wait, massive selection and great prices.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts