Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best place to buy new discs/pads online?

Looking for good quality spares (branded ideally) and obviously the cheapest price!
)

Cheers

Simo

(VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI, 57 plate)

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
have used these simo http://www.murraysdirect.co.uk/?gclid=CMfbotn22qcCFcJP4QodTFPJ9A for service parts for my VW,s , proper parts & best prices
think you better be sat down though when you get the figure , my techie chap did a full set of discs & pads for a forum member near me (Mike 101) & if i remember rightly the parts to him trade was around £600 , although the guy had been quoted £1200 incl fitting at main dealer
around £750 all done rings a bell

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wilko, will check them out.

Yep bracing myself for the total cost! I've got 4 new tyres to buy too!!! :eek:s

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
bad timing for you mate , time to dig deep eh ?
got my carrera in at the mo for a brake overhaul , i,m up to £730 in parts alone
good job i don,t play golf or follow footy or something would have to give
let us know how you get on , if you get a price from a good indy your VW dealer may price-match ?

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I've had parts before (not for my Touareg yet) from DSGWagen.
It might be worth giving them a call on 01302 364141.
You never know, they may be able to track the discs down for you

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm also looking for discs and pads. I've got a 3.0 TDI 2007/07 with Brembo calipers.
Thought it would make sense to get Brembo discs and pads but I'm struggling to find anywhere that's got them.
Anyone any ideas?
Or alternative good quality/make? Or discounted genuine VW parts? Who makes the genuine VW parts? Just the parts from VW are £765 for discs, pads and sensors all round.
Brakes International look quite cheap but never heard of the manufacturers they use.
I've always found in the past that it's very hard to beat the performance of OE pads and discs, which I guess is part of the reason they are so expensive.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts

·
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
might be worth while scanning a few pages here on ebay!! might save some money!! and fitting discs and pads is not a hard job.

the only special tool you will need really is the torx socket to undo the caliper bolts.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=vw+touareg+brakes&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Thanks Stu but the problem seems to be that there are different discs, pads, calipers for different models. Some 3.0 TDI's even have different brakes from others of the same vintage.
Either they don't have the right ones for my car or they don't provide enough details for me to know if they are right. In a lot of cases they say they are suitable for a 3.0 TDI but they aren't the same as mine.

From what I can gather my brakes are Brembo calipers with 2 retaining pins and so the discs are 330mm front and rear. There are 308mm and 350mm discs available and pads with only one retaining pin for Brembos and also ATE brake systems. Trying to track down the right parts and get a price is proving a complete nightmare.

Thought I'd go onto the EBC site to see what they have and it gets worse! I've put my registration number in and you'd think that it would then be simple. However, they show 4 different types of front disc in 2 different sizes (but don't say what size each one is!) and then they do Redstuff or Yellowstuff pads in 3 different types for the front. Rears are slightly easier as there's only one pad type but there are still 4 discs listed.
Help! I can work out the pads as there's only one type with 2 retaining pins - it's the discs that are the problem.

Which ones do I need? How do I find out? Also, the discs and front pads are slightly cheaper than getting them from VW but the rears are dearer!

Anyone got experience of EBC? My only experience is on a motorbike using their HH brake pads which work very well the harder you use them but are naff when stone cold.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Try looking on the Mintex website as well.

In the boot of your car take a note of the codes shown on a white sticker in the spare wheel well. I think yours will say 1LE somewhere and this can be matched to the codes on the Mintex catalog.
I had a quick look and it seems to show the 330mm front disc as MDC 1610 and pads as MDB 2739.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
Don't forget there is a pair of brake shoes inside the drum within each rear disc for your parking brake. You may need to change these too.

·
20 Posts
http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d3082.html

Used them few times very fast delivery helpfull if you phone not had any probs with quality

there delivery firm gives a 1 hour slot when wil be delivered and always on time

prices are very good

by the way recomend buying new sensor wires for pads as you can brake them on removal

also i had large syringe to lower brake fluid

there are different sizes disks so measure before buying website has all sizes listed

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Anyone got experience of EBC? My only experience is on a motorbike using their HH brake pads which work very well the harder you use them but are naff when stone cold.

Thanks.
Yes on my old BMW X5, I had EBC discs and green stuff pads. They were rubbish to be fair, the pads were quite a hard compound and had warped the discs within a few months.
I then migrated to Mintex and they had better grip and no warping.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Still getting nowhere fast.
Went on Mintex site and it only lists the right front and not the left front (they are different part numbers on VW and Brembo parts list).
My bigger problem is that I have part numbers for Brembo discs and pads (which would be my preference) but I can't actually find any for sale anywhere. Not even on www.apbrakediscs.co.uk.
Same with Mintex, can only find prices/availability for rear discs and front pads, nothing else.
With Brembo it's actually even worse because the front disc part numbers I have are listed on some sites as rear discs on other Touareg models but that can't be right as the rears have brake shoes inside. Which one is right though?

EBC and BrakePartsSuperstore have all parts listed and prices but do I go Redstuff or Yellowstuff pads re EBC and the Superstore are non-branded, very cheap and I like to know what I'm getting.

EBC are current favourites (Redstuff) but all discs, pads and sensors come to £646.35 compare to VW at £765.19. Superstore comes out at £340 but really not sure. I really want better performance from my brakes than the original (worn) discs/pads are currently giving me. I don't hang around and have had brake fade after a couple of hard brakes into roundabouts from speed. For not much more than the Redstuff I could get Yellowstuff instead although these are more geared towards fast road/track days. The blurb does say they are unusual in that they work from cold and so are suitable for everyday road use still.

Decisions, decisions - open to input and any other options!

Oh, there's also 2 sizes of handbrake shoe listed - anyone know how to tell which ones fit mine without taking everything off first to check?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes on my old BMW X5, I had EBC discs and green stuff pads. They were rubbish to be fair, the pads were quite a hard compound and had warped the discs within a few months.
I then migrated to Mintex and they had better grip and no warping.
Doesn't instill confidence. Although, to be fair, looking on the EBC website it does say that Greenstuff pads are generally recommended for cars producing up to 200bhp and/or not 4WD.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
still struggling smarty ? recommended on the porsche forum i used http://www.ppcgb.com/ for my carrera brake overhaul & couldn't fault them for service or price ,
VW is definitely listed on their adverts so worth a try

·
Mechanical Guru
2,869 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks guys.
Wilko - ppcgb.com list EBC brakes but (along with other sites) don't list the correct ones for my car. They list the right pads but not the right discs and the prices are a bit all over the place. For example, compared to EBC Direct they are slightly cheaper for the pads but the discs are about twice the price! Something strange there. I'm sure a phone call would sort it though.

Chaser - Eurocarparts do Pagid discs and pads at slightly less than EBC discs and pads so this looks like a good bet. They don't list pad wear sensors though - where's the best place to get these? Would it matter what make I got?
Also, annoyingly they have a LH front disc but not a RH front disc.

The frustrating thing is even on sites that ask you to put your registration number in they still don't get the right pads/discs on one axle or the other.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,869 Posts
TBH your better speaking to you local branch for availability, it shouldn't be too long till they re-stock. Pagid should do pads with sensors included, they do in the smaller size for the R5.
I prefer Pagid over EBC, the latter tend to trash the disc in no time.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just checked Eurocarparts again and they're doing 20% off service parts if you spend over £30. Think I'll just about be going over the £30 mark
Just need them to source the wear sensors too as the Pagid pads for the 3.0 don't come with them like the 2.5 - only preparation for wear indicators.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll report back on how easy (or not!) they are to fit and how they perform. Might leave them a little while though. I was told they'll need replacing soon a year ago so hopefully they'll last a while longer. I need to put my summer wheels back on now so I'd rather be prepared to do the brakes at the same time if I feel they're needed. Pads are probably OK given the wear sensors haven't prompted to change them but the discs are lipped a fair bit.

Total cost of discs and pads all round (after 20% discount) should be £425.75 delivered, not including wear sensors.

Edit: Update - they can get the wear sensors so total cost including them is £458.57 after discount.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts