Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2007 3.6 V6 FSI SE, Coil Springs
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have noticed this noise recently and I am trying to pin point what it is..

If I stick my head in the engine bay it sounds like it's on the drivers side (RHD) and near the bottom of the engine. I can't decide if it's the gear box or transfer case or maybe a noisy chain or something.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Please let me know if that link above is broken.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

· Registered
232 Posts
Don't think it's the chain as that would have more of a rattle than a rumble. Does it happen when both warm and cold?

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it happens hat and cold, sometimes I can't hear it, but I haven't managed to pin point what conditions it doesn't appear at yet. I haven't noticed any drivability issues, yet!.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am starting to think it is something in the gearbox or transfer case.

Coincidentally I didn't notice this noise until after I start hauling a trailer around. An 8ft Ifor Williams with about 1/2" of sticks in it went on a 190-mile trip to the west coast over the new year period. Is it likely that the extra strain on the drive train has caused an issue? the car does have 109k miles on it.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to say when the diff was built! I have had the car for 3 years and have never done it yet, it's on the list for this year along with the gearbox and all the other fluids.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just watched this regarding transmission fluid change, I thought it was pretty informative.
clicky
I will try and do the diffs and transmission at the same time, hopefully sooner rather than later.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Finally got the filter and fluids through to do the Diffs, transfer case and gear box.

Hopefully it will clear up that noise. There are a few new creaks and rattles coming from the Treg these days so it would be nice to start clearing them up.

There is now a bit of a drone that is only apparent when decelerating, it is not present unless the vehicle is moving so I am guess it's a bearing somewhere, I am hoping it's the centre bearing that just needs some more grease in it.
Font Glass Plastic Drink Electric blue

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cass
1 - 8 of 8 Posts