Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ongoing saga with the worst car I've ever owned in my life. 2004 r5

Since putting in this replacement engine last Feb, the cars had a constant issue of every 2/3 months, having an Injector fail.

Having a spare engine where the injectors where fine before I've been replacing with the spare ones. Granted this may be where my issue lies, but I'm not totally convinced yet given I can't really tell the history of this replacement engine.

So, a year on, 11000 miles in that year, my 5th injector has failed again tonight. So I'm going to need to change out to my last spare. Will have to find somewhere to recon the other ones and plan on changing all 5 at once.

But what exactly could cause Injectors to fail, randomly may I add, it's never been the same one (to be confirmed when I get my laptop on it today or tomorrow, but it's never been one I've already done before) every 2/3 months?

I totally understand it could just be that I'm using injectors off the other engine and had they all been used at the same time, they all would have failed around the same time, but I just don't have confidence in this engine and suspect it might be more that I need to look into

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I don't get fault codes.

I suspect that injector 4 had gone this time, vcds was showing injector 4 at the max 2.99 mg reading. I managed to find 2 Injectors out of my spare that looked to be working y showing mg readings that fluctuated.

However, I have varied readings across the 5 Injectors and no fault codes.

So, going to do a compression test tomorrow.

I know worst case scenario, cylinder and piston etc can be goosed, but what else could cause it if I do have bad compression on 1 of the cylinders that I should look into first?

It may be worth noting I noticed the cam lobe on number 3 is wore down off the rocker wheel, this, I suspect happened when the guy who changed my engine, when he changed the injectors to try resolve an injector fault issue, left 1 of the copper rings In the engine, resulting in obviously that I jector sitting maybe 5mm higher than it should. When that injector failed last year, the top cup was smashed, obviously from excess pressure which in guessing has resulted in this worn lobe.

Im wondering if the cam is maybe part of my long term problem

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts