Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, My Treg is on 88K miles now and I've started to notice a rattle. Coming down a hill, no throttle and then light throttle at the bottom to carry momentum. When I press the go pedal gently I get the rattle that sounds like a cold engine start before the oil has circulated for a sec or two then it dissappears.

Called my local garage and he's suggesting that it could be the timing chain and that it's an engine out job.
So...
  • Any other thoughts as to what it might be?
  • I've seen a couple of videos that show a Q7 chain and tensioners being changed without removing the engine - any experience from those here?
  • If it is the chain and if the engine does need dropped how much am I looking? Seen some wildly varying prices!
  • Final thought - the chain (belt as described in the warranty) is covered under the warranty that runs out in a few weeks as long as it's been done when needed previously. From what I understand this should never need done but I need to check the service book - anyone any experience?

Thanks all

·
Registered
299 Posts
A mechanic has diagnosed a major engine fault without seeing the vehicle or even hearing the noise? Timing chains at 88k is unlikely unless you have missed oil changes.

My Touareg made a horrid rattle at certain engine revs. It turned out to be the exhaust heat shield vibrating on the underside which was fixed by bending it back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was based on the (probably!} crap description given above! 🤣It's away for an MOT on Tuesday so he's gonna have a look then and we'll hopefully get a better idea.

Another mechanic friend I called has also suggested that I shouldn't be putting the gearbox into neutral when cruising downhill as it may damage the torque converter.

An I the only muppet to have done this?

Reactions: Davey2021

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi

Hope you haven't been making a habit of that?! 😝

"...sounds like a cold engine start before the oil has circulated for a sec or two..."

Page 425 of user manual -

"Never let the vehicle coast or roll down a hill in Neutral (N), especially when the engine is not running. The transmission will not be lubricated and will be damaged."

Traveling down a hill, I find that Drive tends to go down too many gears, so I come out of Drive and into M and stick it in a high gear. Gearbox wont let you go high enough to stall...

All the best

·
Chairman
20,402 Posts
I hope you are the only muppet that does this!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah it was based on the (probably!} crap description given above! 🤣It's away for an MOT on Tuesday so he's gonna have a look then and we'll hopefully get a better idea.

Another mechanic friend I called has also suggested that I shouldn't be putting the gearbox into neutral when cruising downhill as it may damage the torque converter.

An I the only muppet to have done this?
yes you are

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so putting aside the bad driving practices that I have now stopped I'm now wondering if the gearbox is where I should be looking and not the timing chain at all... Hopefully more to come on this on Tuesday when it's in getting MOT'd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts