Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 57 V6 Tdi seems to be leaking water...or is it?

I'm finding a varying amount under the engine, on the passenger side. I had a look underneath and there seems to be some sort of metal overflow pipe that I assume this is coming from.

Now, I know any sort of puddle can't be a good thing, but has anyone had this before? Or know what this overflow is for?

Cheers

Simo

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Is the coolant level in the coolant header tank dropping?

The pipe you see sticking down under the passenger side is the breather/exhaust for the Auxiliary Heater which comes on when the ambient temperature is low to warm the engine up fast- I doubt this is the source- my guess is that it is just pure water (from condensation) from the Air Conditioning unit.
Try and collect some of the water in a tray overnight to see if it is clear (coolant will be pink-ish).

There is usually some water under the car after running the air-con but my second Treg had an unusual problem- the air-con seemed to freeze up after about 2 hours continuous driving restricting the air-flow into the cabin and then when parked it thawed causing an absolute lake around the car.
How big a puddle do you get?

Cas

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
As cas states.

If the fluid level in the coolant system is not moving then it will be water from the aircon system.
This freezes as you drive then thaws when you stop.....hence the puddle of clean fresh water.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Look under cars in a car park on a very hot day and you'll see water under lots of them - it is indeed the aircon system and nothing at all to worry about.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Yep.Nothing to worry about
It's like the frost in a freezer.
Switch it off and it melts.
Many years ago i took a very early XJ6 to France and in every village was besieged by natives saying my rad was cracked.
Bless'em!
Mange tout.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent - thanks guys - much appreciated.

Thought I'd check with you first. Bit twitchy as I've just had a water leak on our Mini Copper S that almost cost and engine rebuild!!

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts