Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the heavy rains of last November I have been hearing sloshing water coming from the front of my Treg when turning corners. It sounded like quite a large amount of water making it's way from side to side of the vehicle but any search's proved fruitless. Yesterday however, I noticed that the carpet and floor mat in the front passenger footwell was damp and water appears to be dripping down from behind the glove box. A look under the bonnet and I noticed sitting water in under the airbox (I think) by the scuttle at the base of the windscreen.

Tomorrow when I get into work I'm going to get the car into the workshop and see what I can strip out around the glovebox and scuttle to get access with a wet & dry vac and get a de-humidfier into the car for a day or so too.

What I would like to know from you kind gent's is the location of any drainage channels around this area that may be blocked and so could be cleared out with either a length of fishtape or an airline.

Any help will be much appreciated and I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow, possibly with pics.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
If, when you have dried everything out, you get a nasty pong, try using an ozone generator in the car to get rid of it rather than any sprays.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noobytoogy said:
If, when you have dried everything out, you get a nasty pong, try using an ozone generator in the car to get rid of it rather than any sprays.
There's not a great lot of water actually in the cabin though I'll know for certain tomorrow. Hopefully it won't pong too much once dried out.

Just thinking about it, if you are having problems keeping your windows demisted, then you could have damp inside the car too. I'd been having trouble keeping my windows clear the last while and this is probably why.

G

·
Generally there is a drain tube from each side of the bottom of the airbox, sometimes called plenum chamber, which extend into the front wheel arches. A length of stiff wire used judiciously is probably the best tool to push down the blockage.

I think the humid atmosphere is caused as much by the water trapped in the plenum chamber as by the wet carpet.

Good luck, and keep them clear

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Wonder if it is blocked by ice in this cold snap?

Anyone know if engine heat would de-ice this chamber?

And if you are pushing wire up the pipes, I suggest making sure you round off the end so you don't punture or snag anything.

And didn't Kaine or somone post recently about the aircon water drain pipe coming adrift and leaking into the front passenger footwell?

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right!!

Just finished working on the Treg and I've got the problem sorted. I can't believe the amount of water that came out of the bulkhead area, so luckily I've taken a load of pics and a video for your enjoyment and to show what I was up against. The problem is easily enough fixed if your reasonably handy with tools but a workshop is definitly handy.

I'm still in work at the moment but shall upload pics later.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
I've got the popcorn in - where's the vid?

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uploading pics and video now. Hopefully won't be too long

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had this all typed out last night but my compooter played up on me and I lost it, so here goes again.

Got the Treg into the workshop yesterday morning and had a good look around by the passenger footwell and behind the glovebox. Apart from the damp carpet and the bit of trim below the glovebox being wet, there was no obvious entry point for water and all the plastic components behind the dash felt dry.

This is the trim from under the glovebox which has the footwell light mounted on it. The insulation had some water in it so it is now drying out in the hotpress.

So, as there wasn't much water inside the cabin I turned my attention to the engine bay and had a look in the bulkheads by the base of the windscreen.

With the covers removed and looking straight down from above this is what I spied on the passenger side.

So then I started to look for the position of the drainage channels, first checking behind the arches with the car on the ground.

No sign of them in that location so then I jacked the car up, supported it on an axle stand and removed the wheel.

The plastic inner arch then had to be removed from the wheel well. This is held in place by about 15 torx self tapping screws and 2 10mm plastic nuts. Once all the fixings are removed the liner is easily removed from the arch. The liner is all one piece btw. You can just see what we are looking for to the right of the flexible hose in this pic.

In this pic you can see the rubber drainage channel which is really just a rubber grommet with a short funnel (about an inch max) as opposed to a length of pipe running through the vehicle. You can also see that it is clogged with debris and crud. More on that later

By poking my finger up through the grommet I was able to easily clear the blockage and released rather a large amount of water.....

:shock:

So with the water now out of the way I could investigate what the blockage was caused by. The drainage grommet is very easily removed along with a blanking grommet right beside it. I was then able to scrape out all the trapped crud with my finger. Once I'd got as much out as possible I then filled a 3l bottle with fresh water a couple of times and poured it into
the bulkhead from above rinsing out the last of the crud and there was loads of it. A good few years worth of dead leaves and assorted road dirt was accumulated and packed so tightly that it had rendered the compartment water tight. I also suspect the previous owner parked the car close to a lot of tree's or bushes.

This pic show's the two grommets removed and some of the crud is visible.

The drainage grommet removed from the car and before cleaning.

And just a small amount of the crud that was trapped in the bulkhead.

So that was basically the passenger side cleaned out and draining water properly. Re-assembling the car was just a reversal of the dismantling process. With the car back on the ground I decided it would be rude not to look at the drivers side and again I found the exact same thing. Also, when I raised the drivers side even more water came out of the now clear passenger side :shock: .

In all I would estimate that a good 30 - 40l of water was trapped in my vehicle in the front bulkhead. 3 buckets were filled plus whatever amount went over the floor of the workshop. Also the amount of leaves and crud removed from the car would have filled a bucket too. Now, I know this all sounds a bit improbable and exaggerated but you have to remember the Treg is a big motor. With the car back together and driven a short distance on the road, I immediately noticed the steering feeling lighter and the car being a bit more sprightly. In fact the weight difference seems to have been enough to persuade the gearbox to re-program itself as the gearshifts were all over the place for the first 10miles or so.

If you have never done this simple bit of maintenance before, then I would strongly suggest you do. I'm not sure if my case is a one off or if this is a design fault that so much crap can gather in such a young car (just coming up on 6 years old) but I shall be keeping a close eye on this in future.

Just incase none of the above persuades you to get your own car checked out, then maybe this short video will. After doing the passenger side I had a rough idea of what to expect when I removed the bung on the drivers side.........

Oh, and please excuse the dirt of my car at the moment. Haven't had the time to give it a wash since last week

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Bluddy good post! Off to do mine this afternoon. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Superb post KNB - thank you for taking the time and effort to be so helpful to us!

Cheers,

John.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I took the time to take the pictures now

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
If you do not know how to reprogramme the gearbox yourself whenever you want:

Turn the ignition on, but do NOT start the engine.

Press the accelerator to the floor [which is why you do NOT start the car!] and hold it there for 5 seconds [posted times have varied but this is actually straight from a VW Treg Technician!].

Release the accelerator.

Turn the ignition off.

G

·
KNB, that is the absolute best post ever.
I'm sorry that I suggested something so simple as a length of wire :oops:

Reckon your theory about parking under trees holds water............................oh sorry!!

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
I'm taking a leaf of out his book as I've now twigged what the problem is and the pictures helpfully truncate wordy explanations so you can get to the root of it and hopefully stem future inflow without barking up the wrong tree which you parked under in the first place. Take a bow, KNB!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Great writeup thanks. I'd highly recommend doing this.

Did mine this afternoon and was staggered at the amount of crud gathered inside...

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Just tried the drivers side one and have found that there isn't a teat on that side. Poking a finger up the hole I can feel what seems to be a wiring harness blocking the way. Doesn't seem to be any crud/blockages on that side though.

Has anyone else who's done this found the same?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts