Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, I have a 2003 (53) 3.2 v6 treg. I have just found alot of water (took two towels to soak up) in the passengers side footwell.

I have changed the pollen filter, as i was told that this might fix the problem. It sadly has not. I have taken out the carpets as far as i can and cant see where the water is coming from.... ie no split pipes etc.....

vw want to charge me 250 plus vat just to look at it then 95 per hour thereafter and they want the car for two days, heaven knows if i went for this option what bill i would end up with!!!

Does anyone know what this problem might be? or how i can fix it myself?

many thanks
andy

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
I only vaguely remeber one previous post about a similar leak - all sorts of suggestions were made about air-con pipes, ect but I think it end up with a faulty sunroof seal or similar...but that is a while ago and I may be wrong

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Archie,as rob has indicated,if you have a sunroof the drain channels could be blocked or the pipe split.
I had this on my last car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry i forgot to mention that I do not have a sunroof. I am at a total loss... I had a look last night and dried the carpets with a hairdryer, had the heating on full blast for ages. so all dry at the moment, but bet by the time i get in the car tonight it will be back again.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Archie

I had exactly the same problem with a B5.5 Passat. It turned out to be a flaw in the plastic pollen filter box not the filter itself. VW changed the box (and carpet under warranty) and the problem was solved. I think the box had a slight crack in it which caused water falling on the grille under the windscreen to bypass the box and drain into the footwell.
As the Touareg has a very similar layout to the B5.5 Passat it might be prudent to check this out yourself before donating ?250 to VW.

DS

·
133 Posts
I had exactly the same trouble on my 55 Altitude.
Turned out to be the drain from the roof rail mounting slot, I don't have a sunroof.
The water had damaged the A pillar airbag and apparently marked the headlining although I had not noticed this.
The fault was repaired and the airbag and headlining changed under G.

Regards

Derek

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the problem in a Galaxy a few years ago & found the drain holes under the bonnet (under the windscreen) were blocked & it got in through the heater matrix & ran down the footwell.
Good hunting.
Mal

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its more likely to be the sunroof or the drain pipe for the aircon .
If the wind screen were replaced, poor bonding will cause it aswell

I don't think its the pollen filter housing as some one had indicated, its 2 completely different cars and design.

D

·
318 Posts
Have you eliminated the weather ?

It cuts your options in half if the water is still reaching the carpet when it's dry outside.

Similar problem in reverse on a works Volvo last year, which was eventually traced to a missing bung in the floor well. this was after weeks of investigation by our workshop team who originally thought it was air con or heating matrix related.

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Not to be dismissive of the tech advice but I have spoken to a bloke who has taken a few of these fine cars to bits up here in Sheffield and he has experienced water getting into the footwells via the ventilation system. I know the Touareg is different to the old Passat but they are made by the same people and old habits die hard. The pollen filter is still over/in the passenger footwell (see link) and if water gets this far (Im told) it can leak past the filter housing. http://www.precisionframe.com/Touareg/pollenfilter.php
Let us know if you find out what is behind the leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts