Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i don't know if anyone has tripped over this before, but i have just found it on my travels!!..

instead of buying an adaptor cable so you can watch a DVD while driving, obviously not the driver, but passengers.

before moving off, put the DVD in, then as it starts up, press the "i" button top right followed by the "tone" button. if you get a beep when you press the tone button instead of the tone menu it has worked.

you can now drive off with the DVD playing. there seems to be some glitches depending which version firmware you are running, in that some of the older versions turn it off if you adjust the volume settings and you would have to redo the procedure, newer versions seem to be ok!!

well have a go and see what you come up with next time you are out and about, yet another little gem that the RNS 510 has hidden away!!!...

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaine, i know that all Treg owners are responsible citizens and would never watch or try and watch a film whilst driving!!!
would be handy for those stop start traffic jams though.. :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I would 'imagine' the volume control issue to be a bit of a pain, plus the fact the video image is smaller (i.e. not full screen) when in this mode, may make some people unwilling to try it

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I strenuously urge both of you (and any others reading this) not to do it again! Even though I know you didn't look ... :wink:

The most important tools to you as drivers are your eyes - and they should be firmly fixed on whatever they need to be fixed on whilst negotiating the next hazard. All this nonsense about mobile phones, eating, smoking etc. whilst driving pales into insignificance next to the danger of having your visual attention drawn away from where it should be. Even for a second or two. And the danger is that, if the movie attracts your attention (during a particularly gripping scene), you'll look for longer than you intended anyway. So your half or one second snatch becomes two seconds ... or three.

Instead, just listen to the soundtrack as you drive - you'll be amazed how enjoyable it is on its own.

Don't do it! Please. For me.

Chris

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Oh, I don't know.

Watching - yet again - Sharon Stone slowly cross her legs as I mow down some of Oxford's bluddy cyclists would be performing a public service!

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and i've not even tried it yet, just thought i'd get someone else to try it first to see if it works!!!...

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi all, just tried this out today for first time. i get a full screen like normal!!

the volume is the issue as it turned the screen off when i turned it up on the move, the sound remained but the screen blacked out and the VIM message appeared. On a plus though, if you set at deccent volume before you start and or rely on the speed sensing thingy (that's a tech term..
) to turn the volume up as you accelerate you should be ok.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
You're a very bad man. It'll end in tears - don't come crying to me!

Chris

P.S. Seriously, don't do it!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Not wanting to sound a killjoy but it is an offence ...

Recall the accident on the M6 when an entire family was killed by a lorry driver watching a film on his laptop ...

Could I suggest it may be worth removing this thread ?

Haven't and won't try it so don't know if it works ...

Domo

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, lets get this all in context!!..i am not by any matter of means stupid and do not and would never watch a film or the tv when driving the car!!! this whole thread is about passing on useful information to other people that it may save them a few pounds on the price of a cable for the push of a couple of buttons!! It will let their passengers enjoy a film while the car is in motion.

It is not about me watching films while driving the car, if you think it is you are the stupid one!!

Kaine, i hope that you and your team of forum moderators can see this and leave it on view for all to see!!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Stu,

I said my piece in my first post. Whilst I really, really don't want you to kill yourself, I meant it all light-heartedly! My second post was just pure banter. I'm not your mother; you can do what you like. Sorry if I've annoyed you, matey.

Chris

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris, it's not you that's got my back up it's Domo!!! I know you were only messing and took your and other peoples comments as they were meant.

As i have said, if someone thinks that i promote driving whilst not giving my full attention to the road they are saddly mistaken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts