Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Snap! Just posted an almost identical thread!!

How's the sun tan coming along?

And did you get "Am I Alone in Thinking . . . ?" for Christmas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have pmd you re similar postings!

Temp here last night was 27F !!!!! Freakishly cold for SW FL. But not looking for sympathy.

No, I didn't get "Am I.................?" should i buy it for myself?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
andynpz said:
Have pmd you re similar postings!

Temp here last night was 27F !!!!! Freakishly cold for SW FL. But not looking for sympathy.

No, I didn't get "Am I.................?" should i buy it for myself?
Well, if you like reading the Telegraph and it's letters [and I own up to being featured too!] . . .

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Riddle me this...

On a recent warranty claim WD have refused to pay for:
i. investigative work (A little over 1 hour)
ii. Labour of removal of parts of engine in order to replace parts - as WD say removal of parts was not necessary

I'm getting detail of why VW removed said parts to get to replaced item if it's not required, and have asked for proof of documentation stating this. Also highlighting to me, that a garage should not take on work if they do not have the expertise and experience to work on a machine?

So where do I stand with getting WD to pay for all Including investigative work, and possibly getting VW to remove costs of labour that was not necessarily needed?

Also WTF wont WD pay for investigative work, is a technician supposed to look at a car and just know exactly what's wrong with the car without playing about under the hood?

·
Mechanical Guru
2,879 Posts
Any warranty company or even a private individual should be on the look out for workshops 'talking up the job' in order to get more money. Investigative work isn't easily measurable/provable and as such they will be unwilling to pay for something they cannot quantify. Depending on previous experience it might take one mechanic minutes to make an accurate diagnosis and another hours.

As for removing unnecessary parts I would imagine if the repair procedure in Elsawin VWs service/repair manual is followed then who could argue. If additional parts other than the ones stated in the repair method are removed that's another matter.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
HFG - From the WD policy document (section 4 copied below) it would appear that investigation costs should be covered if the investigation/diagnosis finds a fault which is covered by the policy. It seems fair enough that they don't pay if the faulty part is not covered by them - but this doesn't seem to be the case for your claim.

Could you let us know how you get on pls?

4. Investigation costs

You are responsible for giving the repairer permission
to start any exploratory, investigation or dismantling
work and for paying the costs involved if this work
proves that we are not responsible for the fault.We
will only pay any reasonable exploratory, investigation
or dismantling costs if they are part of a valid claim,
providing the diagnostics and the claim has been
authorised with our Claims Department.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Thank you sir, kind of defeats the object of paying for a warranty if the identification isn't covered.

Just now need to prove that the labour involved in fixing the fault was nesessary.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Elite Member
1,284 Posts
FWIW - when I had my issues with an oil pump, originally VW were charging me to have a look at it, however, when the problem was identified and it was agreed to be fixed at the VW garage, there was no investigation fee on the final bill - just the cost of parts and labour.

In addition, for the WD engineer to approve the work, several parts needed to be removed and I'm sure that to carry out the repair this work was necessary anyway.

It may be worth clarifying these sorts of details before getting too involved.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I hope this helps anyone with a query about WD service:

Complaints Procedure

If you have a complaint about any of our services, please let us know so that we have the opportunity to investigate the problem and put things right.

You should first send your complaint to:

Duncan McClure Fisher [Managing Director]
Warranty Direct Limited
Quadrant House
20 Broad Street Mall
Reading
RG1 7QE

If you are still not satisfied, we will tell you about our procedures and all relevant contact details during each stage of your complaint.

Investigation

A complaint handler will investigate your complaint. They will not have been directly involved in the issue you are complaining about.

Communication

1 If we need to ask you for more information, we will tell you why this is necessary.

2 If we need to take action to settle the problem, we will tell you what action we will take and keep you up to date with any developments.

3 We will give you a clear written explanation for our action. If we need to pay any undisputed amount due under the policy, we will do this quickly and this will not affect your complaint.

4 When we issue our final response, we will give you written details of the next stage of our complaints procedure.

We will keep you informed in line with the following service standards.

1 We will return your phone calls within two working days.

2 When we receive your complaint, we will usually acknowledge this in writing on the same day, but in any case within five working days. The acknowledgement will include the relevant complaint handler's details and a copy of these procedures.

3 Within four weeks of receiving your complaint, they will send you a:
• final response; or
• holding response, which will explain why we cannot yet settle your complaint, and will give you a date by which we will contact you again. You will receive a final response or another holding response within another eight weeks.

4 When we issue our final response, we will give you written details of the next stage of our complaints procedure.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have had mine from new 2004 it is coming up for replacement and it is maintained and yes the early versions were problematic but other than the replacement of the transfer box and tyres under warranty in the first few thousand miles. It has cost me less than couple of thousand including servicing.
It has all the extras and the sat/nav replaced again under warranty. And no I don't have extended warranty a vehicle that used under almost all conditions is reliable if I had warranty extension it would have cost another couple of thousand for what zero.
I have all the service receipts and documentation so the next owner can be assured it is in good condition and should provide another few thousand miles of trouble free motoring.
Most of the perceived problems are the complexity of the vehicle and the general knowledge of the dealers is very poor particularly in the area of diagnosis, the general attitude hook it up to the computer and see which module it is rather than what caused the issue in the first place.
A good example is the the battery and the different lights and symptoms this throws up I could go on non the less the Treg is generally reliable and good a work horse.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
A very valid viewpoint supported by direct experience.

My 70K '03 Treg has had £2K of repairs in 18 months paid for by £1K of Warranty Direct cover, so I'm £1K up which has paid for new discs and pads all round and a new set of tyres. Thank you Warranty Direct!

I know you all think I'm boring about warranty cover but perhaps I haven't explained myself very well, so after this I'll shut up!

For lots of people the Touareg is aspirational so when the second hand values drop to a level where we might be able to afford them, we get very keen on buying one and, as we all tend to do when we buy a car, we try to get the best we can for the money we may not have.

But with the kind of finance deals on offer, it is very easy to put down a relatively small deposit and sign up to a few hundred a month for our new car. However, this does not necessarily mean we've all got the on-going wherewithall to actually run it!

So when I read someone's post asking, for example, whether or not the car will do 29 mpg as opposed to 27 mpg, then in my book - harsh though it may be to say it - they possibly shouldn't be buying the car in the first place as it is clear the car may be stretching their budget.

Other posts give similar clues that people might be stretching themselves and, being a bit of a cautious old f+rt, I am genuinely concerned on their behalf that a would-be buyer may not realise that if [and I have always said if, not when] these complex cars break, they might be looking at a large 4 figure bill they simply cannot afford.

Most of us have been broke at some stage in our lives and have known that dreadful, bowel-emptying feeling when a very large and unexpected bill turns up - taxman, garage or divorce!

So my reason for encouraging people to buy a warranty is not so much the reliability or otherwise of these excellent and very enjoyable cars, but the peace of mind I hope it would deliver an owner should something go badly wrong.

Therefore if you are relatively well off and have no great concerns about a big bill, then please stop for a moment or two and try looking at it from a different perspective and then you might perhaps understand where I have been coming from: I'm not concerned about the car, I'm concerned about the owner.

And if you've got this far, thank you for taking the time to read this post. Cheerio.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Noob's - I know what your getting at - always have - however that fact you talk about it all the time makes you an easy target

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Good post Noobs, just maybe be a little 'softer' with the delivery of this advice on new members.. don't wanna scare them off on first views of buying a Treg.

Nice to see Pilgrim on too!! But trading in..? (now that will be a car to own, won't get much better looked after than one of your cars!) Replaced by another or are you re-branding?

While you're here, or anyone else for that matter... Does anyone know where the knock sensor is on the Treg?
not completely OT - is in relation to my claim being approved as per earlier post in this thread.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I should say I also have been broke and bought bangers just to get me around and had to repair them myself. I don't think is whether you can afford to do without warranty it more to do with does it warrant the risk(sorry about that). In my book yes, however I should add I do have warranty on another car that is not VW.
The consideration is is a couple of years warranty going to buy peace of mind if it does OK but that cost may go to your next vehicle on trade up I think it is a personal issue some vehicles such as exotics yes.
I have not yet decided what next 4x4 will be but I just love the Treg in the current weather, but will shall see I still like the Range Rover but there is one I probably take out an extented warranty if I kept it long enough.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,879 Posts
Hipflyguy said:
While you're here, or anyone else for that matter... Does anyone know where the knock sensor is on the Treg?
not completely OT - is in relation to my claim being approved as per earlier post in this thread.
looking at the manual it appears to be fitted to the rh side of engine block looking fom the front.

·
242 Posts
You have changed Noobs. You are not so hard this time.

However, thanks to your advice and after reading so many post about WD, I decided to join WD ExtraCare for 2 years for 700 pounds total.

Before that, I have asked WD to verify that my Full Service invoice was valid. To avoid doing another full service again in 1 month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts