Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone on the site, I have recently bought an '04 2.5 TDI Touareg and we are really pleased with it, it is fantastic to drive, it has 53K and had missed a service so I put it in for a full service. Had 5W30 oil added and all filters done. Asked for overall check, response was A1 condition from my trusted independent garage. The day before service a warning light to check light range kept showing. All lights are fine, zenon lights when first switched on appear to level, just fractionally dimmer on nearside front but everything seems to be as it should. Ind garage said they would talk to VW but I just wondered, does anyone have the same problem, if so, is it just a case of VAG reset? Any help welcomed.

Brilliant website, enjoy reading the threads, look forward to many miles tregging.

John
 

·
Member
Joined
·
56 Posts
hello mate
your treg is not a r5 is it noticed5/30 oil in it .if so the wrong oil is in dont want u to ave the same problems as mine i would check the opec site for the right grade(r5/v10 should only use 0/30) all the best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kaine and Daz. Thanks for your replies. Daz I don't know whether my tregg is an R5, and for the warning about the oil, thank you again, I am going to check ASAP. I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Daz.The oil for my TDI is VW506 01,I know its a 5cyl not the V10.The garage has used 5W 30
I will find out if both are the same (dont think they are,) Looks like its back to the garage
John
 

·
Superman
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Ventury, R5 means straight 5 in reference to the engine configuration (R something in german...) all the Treg 2.5's are R5's... (has a little R5 embissed on the gear knob)

nothing more technical than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hipflyguy.I must sound dumb,thought R5 was another model ,but looked yep five cylinders,
Fantastic car alround,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
daz2162665 said:
hello mate
your treg is not a r5 is it noticed5/30 oil in it .if so the wrong oil is in dont want u to ave the same problems as mine i would check the opec site for the right grade(r5/v10 should only use 0/30) all the best
Hi Daz
Spoke to garage ,informing them it should be 0;30.they went off ,came back with an apologie,there reference guide was wrong,gonna be sorted tomorrow.Cheers mate,if you get any problems with any part of your heating or boiler,give me a shout for free help or advice
 

·
Member
Joined
·
56 Posts
hello john
glad to help.all i do now is check out this great site for information.respect to kaine.keep an eye on the dealers they aint as clued up as u may think.happy driving mate daz
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Hmmmm - I've just checked what they put into my 04 R5

It's Castrol 111(or III) longlife.
That is 5W30 and therefore is not correct for a pre 2006 engine.

It has to be Castrol Longlife II :x
 

·
Member
Joined
·
56 Posts
hello shytot
its getting very interesting mate,how many engines they might have fxxxxd up putting the wrong grade oil in the r5 engine.it absolutely devestated the top end of mine ,(see my thread) i wonder wheather any v10 owners have had any top end damage caused by these muppets.it only took 10 months to wreck mine.if i was u get 506.1(0-30)in your engine as quick as poss or have a ?8000 bill
all the best daz
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
daz2162665 said:
hello shytot
its getting very interesting mate,how many engines they might have fxxxxd up putting the wrong grade oil in the r5 engine.it absolutely devestated the top end of mine ,(see my thread) i wonder wheather any v10 owners have had any top end damage caused by these muppets.it only took 10 months to wreck mine.if i was u get 506.1(0-30)in your engine as quick as poss or have a ?8000 bill
all the best daz
Thanks Daz

I now have written confirmation from both the Service Manager and the Treg Tech that they did put in the right oil.
I mailed them this morning with the VW oil link and had a detailed response within an hour.

It appears that the invoicing system only has 1 oil type programmed in - I guess I've got to trust them.

I have everything in writing but hopefully it will never rear it's head again
 

·
Member
Joined
·
56 Posts
hi shytot
keep that receipt mate thats the only thing that got me out of the sxxt.and thats the only reason my insurance took the claim on all the best daz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Thanks Daz

I now have written confirmation from both the Service Manager and the Treg Tech that they did put in the right oil.
I mailed them this morning with the VW oil link and had a detailed response within an hour.

It appears that the invoicing system only has 1 oil type programmed in - I guess I've got to trust them.

I have everything in writing but hopefully it will never rear it's head again
Shytot - which dealer are you using in South Manchester?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Hi, I have a 54 plate V6, I have experienced the check lights periodically, when the car was in warrenty I took it back to the dealer who changed the bulbs. I now get the lights flickering now and then without the check lights warning coming up, I took it that the bulbs or connections are are a bit iffy. Now I have no warrenty things are in a dont fix it til its totally broke system.
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
AdamYates said:
Thanks Daz

I now have written confirmation from both the Service Manager and the Treg Tech that they did put in the right oil.
I mailed them this morning with the VW oil link and had a detailed response within an hour.

It appears that the invoicing system only has 1 oil type programmed in - I guess I've got to trust them.

I have everything in writing but hopefully it will never rear it's head again
Shytot - which dealer are you using in South Manchester?
Adam - I was using Smith Knight Faye in Stockport

Going over to Gilbert Lawton today to try the alternative.

You recommneded them on another thread so I will hold you personally responsible !!!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tyred said:
Hi, I have a 54 plate V6, I have experienced the check lights periodically, when the car was in warrenty I took it back to the dealer who changed the bulbs. I now get the lights flickering now and then without the check lights warning coming up, I took it that the bulbs or connections are are a bit iffy. Now I have no warrenty things are in a dont fix it til its totally broke system.
Cheers, i think you are right,i disconnected the whole light cluster and cleaned the block connecter,no warnings (so far)
John
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,971 Posts
First port of call with things like this is a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Useful stuff to have the next time you're in Halfords, Maplins or similar. Only cost ?5 max.

FYI, the new WD40 cans now have a flip-up top with the little red tube permanently attached to you can't lose it. However, they don't supply the little elastic band on the can to keep the tube in place anymore - cheap skates!
 

·
Member
Joined
·
83 Posts
Shytot said:
daz2162665 said:
hello shytot
its getting very interesting mate,how many engines they might have fxxxxd up putting the wrong grade oil in the r5 engine.it absolutely devestated the top end of mine ,(see my thread) i wonder wheather any v10 owners have had any top end damage caused by these muppets.it only took 10 months to wreck mine.if i was u get 506.1(0-30)in your engine as quick as poss or have a ?8000 bill
all the best daz
Thanks Daz

I now have written confirmation from both the Service Manager and the Treg Tech that they did put in the right oil.
I mailed them this morning with the VW oil link and had a detailed response within an hour.

It appears that the invoicing system only has 1 oil type programmed in - I guess I've got to trust them.

I have everything in writing but hopefully it will never rear it's head again
Hi

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I have discovered that Gilbert Lawton Altrincham have too put in Castrol Longlife 111 Engine oil which is indeed the wrong oil for an R5. I really won't believe them if they tell me that the invoicing system has only 1 type of oil. I know from experience with this dealer that they have lied to me about work they have done on 2 occasions. Since my service in January I have been back to the dealer 3 times to rectify faults with the service. Shytot have you noticed any problems since?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
i too now have the "check light range" and have noticed that the drivers side light does not dance on turn on properly and it flickers abit too
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top