Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
156 Posts
Edit: As this is an old thread and many VW Touareg owners are confused about the correct oil to use in their VW Touareg:

THIS IS STILL THE DEFINITIVE LIST OF THE CORRECT OIL FOR THE VW TOUAREG:

4639FE8D-9FC2-4FB3-8A88-A3434569B191.jpeg
The Moderating Team
08/02/2020
----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that these pages will be useful to all you Toureg owners.

We have listed VW oils by their specs to make selection easier.

Check your handbook and then look up what we have that meets the correct specification here.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-689-vw.aspx

All the best for 2009

Cheers
Guy

Attachments

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
s4treg said:
Unfortunately Opie are NOT acurrate with their Spec's, as many know the R5 2.5 TDi's require 506.01 otherwise longterm damage can be caused to timing gears.

I've previously emailled opie and they come back with 507.00, this is what their site also recommends but this is the WRONG oil for this engine as confirmed by an email from VOLKSWAGEN UK's Tech dept.!!

Opie might want to take note and recifiy it on their site
We are currently rebuilding our database and this has been taken into account.

This thread merely asks you to look at your handbook and then use the VW Oil Specs page on our website to match an appropriate VW Approved oil.................something different to our recommendation database.

Cheers
Simon

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Simon

Are you able to explain something that has puzzled me on the various threads about 506 or 507, please?

Why won't a well developed hi-tech oil that is a replacement for a previous well devleoped hi-tech oil properly lubricate ALL parts of an engine in just the same way as before and why is a particular component prone to more wear as a result of using the latest oil rather than its predecessor?

Cheers!

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
s4treg said:
Thats what i was implying, your database at this point in time is INCORRECT :roll: . ( R5 owners please take note )
We will change out database straight asap.

Cheers

Guy

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noobytoogy said:
Simon

Are you able to explain something that has puzzled me on the various threads about 506 or 507, please?

Why won't a well developed hi-tech oil that is a replacement for a previous well devleoped hi-tech oil properly lubricate ALL parts of an engine in just the same way as before and why is a particular component prone to more wear as a result of using the latest oil rather than its predecessor?

Cheers!
Not too sure, I am going to look into it. I would guess it has something to do with the low saps content of the 507.00 for the DPF units over the VW506.01.

Cheers

Guy

G

·
Noobs, I found this on a Castrol website

ZDDP additive (zinc dialkyldilithiophosphate) provides a high level of anti-wear protection, but it's phosphorous content is harmful to catalytic converters and other emission equipment eg DPFs

I therefore surmise that the injection pump drive from the camshaft on a 2.5 or 5.0 will benefit from ZDDP to reduce wear, so use 506.01.

But the later engines have benefitted from the latest surface hardening technology, so can get by with more friendly additives, so 507 oil will have less ZDDP so as to be suitable for emission equipment.

makes sense to me

Cheers, Andy

·
114 Posts
As I previously mentioned the drop-down on the Opie Oil website for V8 Touareg's is wrong - it states 4.0 litre engine size but the V8 is a 4.2 litre. Does this error mean the oil choice is wrong too?

·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The oil is correct, interesting point though as the database used is something called OATS and they hold the database of oem oil reccs. I will have to get in touch with them, if you check the Castrol website http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.d ... Id=7044829 They have the same error as the data is provided by the same people....

Cheers

Guy

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
I found this link when googling this evening - it seems to explain the 506 / 506.1 / 507 story.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/comm ... vicing.pdf

VW look lik ehtey are working with Castrol and Castrol SLX III is their preferred oil.
However the "what is long life oil?" question on page 2 confirms the non use of the 507 spec oil for R5s and 5l V10's.

The page is a link on the VW UK website.
In the FAQs section under the servicing section.

·
1,307 Posts
hi guys, i was just wondering if anyone can confirm something for me please.

i have a 1.4 tdi skoda it's got the pd engine in it and i am going to be serviceing it in the next few days.

first time i have done it myself and just wanted to confirm that i require oil to spec 505.01????

thanks for any help...

·
1,307 Posts
thanks for that Guy....top man..

·
38 Posts
Shytot said:
I found this link when googling this evening - it seems to explain the 506 / 506.1 / 507 story.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/comm ... vicing.pdf

VW look lik ehtey are working with Castrol and Castrol SLX III is their preferred oil.
However the "what is long life oil?" question on page 2 confirms the non use of the 507 spec oil for R5s and 5l V10's.

The page is a link on the VW UK website.
In the FAQs section under the servicing section.
This only seems to apply to PRE 2006 R5 and V10 engines -

From the VW document -
"Important note
In order to maximise the life of the DPF, all DPF equipped Volkswagen vehicles (except pre 2006 R5 and V10 engines) must use an engine oil meeting the new 507 00 specification even when on Time and Distance servicing regime."

This is what it says in my handbook(2007) - VW507 spec

"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts