Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Here's the Daily Telegraph article on Warranty Direct's reliability tables:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-revealed.html

And here's the direct link to the Warranty Direct reliability tables [Suzuki Grand Vitara rates 33 - exceptional! - to the Treg at 194]

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/default.html?apc=3128339010848601

And this is my version of the Touareg page:

Touareg '03 onwards [I have rounded the figures up to make for easier reading]

Reliability Index 194

Average Age 3.7 years

Average Mileage 44305

Time off the Road 3 days

Average Repair Cost £568

Breakdown of claims:

Air Conditioning: nothing registered

Axle & Suspension: 24%

Braking System: 12%

Cooling and Heating System: 12%

Electrical: 24%

Engine: 9%

Fuel System: 2%

Transmission: 9%

·
240 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I have had mine for exactly 3 years and I have had 1 warranty claim (brake sensor light came on). Pretty reliable so far (christ, now I've done it!).

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's easy to say "worth ignoring in my opinion" if you are running a young Treg covered by the VW warranty [the one you actually paid for in the price of the new motor!] and you'll have unloaded it before that warranty expires.

Later owners of older Tregs might find the information useful.

The average repair cost is surprisingly consistent with my experience thus far [but then perhaps the data IS my car!!]

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Well you aren't going to get this info from VW GB, so, no, it's not "complete and comprehensive".

I don't necessarily agree with their final claim but this is WD's intro:

"... based on claims worth millions of pounds from Warranty Direct policies, the Reliability Index is the most comprehensive guide for car reliability in the UK - and, because Warranty Direct is entirely independent, it's also the most trustworthy guide of its kind."

Personally I think it has its place in the "useful" category . . . and might possibly be a rather better indicator than coming on here and asking biased folk like you and me!!

Only joking there of course.

·
22 Posts
Is this document something i should honestly be concerned of? I'm planning on looking at a Altitude this weekend which will come with the remainder of the warranty. June 2011.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it depends if you want to keep the car when it leaves the manufacturer's cover when you will have three choices as with any car of any make:

Do nothing and self insure.

Buy the VW extended warranty, but you must do this before the end of the new car warranty period.

Explore other warranty companies and buy a third party warranty.

As with any insurance, whether you buy or not depends upon how risk averse you are, how deep your pockets are and, in your case since you have cover already until June '11, what your gut feeling is for the vehicle you own.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Nooby - sorry mate, but your posts are making the Touareg sound like an unreliabilty motor and its not - I frequent many forums and the Touareg has hardly any problems in comparison - you should spend some time on the RRS forums where nearly all of them make it into the dealer in their first year for some repair or another.

Squirrel - if this document was something to be worried about, then people like me would not have forked out twice and now be on their second Touareg

·
22 Posts
Fair point Kaine. But correct me if i'm wrong, isn't it still under discussion if you'll be on your third?!

Nooby, i've been looking at Warranty Direct, which seems like a popular one.

Just done an online quote and ?45 a month doesn't seem too bad. Is it worth going with the luxury or major? Or should i ask, what have others gone with?

I see on some posts that it's worth a phone call to see if they come down on the price. What have others managed to get them down to?

·
134 Posts
The thing to remember with any statistics produced by such a company is the size of the base. i.e. what was the number of tregs this was based on? Considering there are few relatively Tregs in the UK there are bound to be even fewer registered with Warranty Direct so these figures for all we know could be based on a handful of cars in which case the data is simply not significant. Might be fine for popular makes and models but not for any car with less than 100 base size. Having been a professional statistician for over 30 years I'm sick of reading these PR surveys designed to get press coverage for the sponsoring company. Rant over!

·
22 Posts
Thanks GeoffH for your wise words. I think i'm going to take your advise and not worry too much about these surveys. For piece of mind, i think i'll take the warranty out with a 3rd party once it's expired. But that wouldn't be until June 2011.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Had ours for *cough* years now, and is *cough Cough* years old, has had some minor niggles, fixed either by me or with VW warranty...

Question you have to ask is: why hasn't it been sold if the Touareg is SO unreliable..?

Said it before, and will say again for Mr. Squirrel's sake... You 'may' get a niggle or two with a pre 2005 car compared to a post 2005 car, since the Treg was a new model in 2003, but even pre 2005 cars should have had all known faults fixed if serviced by a main dealer, as recalls have been done, not necessarily with owners knowledge - but at a time the car has been at a garage - e.g. software upgrades etc.

A 2009 Touareg 2 Altitude... Don't lose much sleep over it if well documented history.

Welcome to the club.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry. Perhaps you'd like to delete my thread.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
I don't think there are any great revelations in the survey data. It seems to confirm my long held opinion that if you run a car of a more complex design with a high level of equipment it's generally going to spend more time being repaired. The more it has the more things to go wrong. If we choose to run a vehicle with a high specification we should make provision for higher maintenance costs and downtime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts