Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still looking to test drive a treg and have been reading reviews in which it is said that setting off in the 3 litre Tdi is a sluggish affair, with a significant delay in response. One theory out there is that it is deliberately engineered in to prevent too much torque damaging the gearbox ( I find this hard to believe). Another theory I've read is that it is engineered in to reduce emissions. I think Tom said this on Autogefuhl and he seems pretty knowledgeable.

Can anyone comment on 1. is the delay an issue on these cars? and 2. Is it possible to tune this out of the engine? I should stress that when the time comes I don't want to do a remap of the engine, just ensure a smooth and instant response. I wouldn't want a remap in case it affects the warranty etc.

·
Chairman
20,322 Posts
When you get behind the wheel.of a Touareg, reset the gearbox.

Turn thr ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal and turn the ignition off.

This works on T1 to T4, but the box supplier changed on the T5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you get behind the wheel.of a Touareg, reset the gearbox.

Turn thr ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal and turn the ignition off.

This works on T1 to T4, but the box supplier changed on the T5.
Thanks for the reply, what does this do exactly, in terms of resetting the gearbox?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi

In all honesty - I find there is a very very small lag (but 'a sluggish affair' - NO!) when pulling away from stationary (in Drive), but this can be negated by a small rolling start, i.e stop 1 ft before the junction, see your gap, go!

(Now some one is gonna say my clutch/geabox is fooked... :LOL:

I might see how Drive compares to Sport this evening out of curiosity...

If it puts your mind at rest - the very very small lag is quickly made up by the acceleration, so in the grand scheme, its just not a thing

!! Not sure about the other models, but the 7p really moves if you want it to!! No idea about 'tuning it out', its just not anywhere laggy enough to justify imho. Its a 2200 kg car, not a hot hatch with launch control... But, even so - I think it would annihilate most hot hatches. My mate has a Mk4 R32 and I think he's too worried I'd beat him in race to try!!

Follow Mr Nobby T's advice. I have no idea what it does, but it deffo makes a difference in terms of smooth gear changes and it adjusts when gear changes happen in Drive (or at least it did in my first 7p). BTW - When you do the reset - you dont get a chime or a light or anything from the car. Just follow the instructions and it will be all good.

Aint nothing wrong with the acceleration or performance of the 7p, the world moves when you give it some!! By the time the revs are over 2k, the torque is there and things get very fast, very quick. "Sluggish affair" LOL! NO WAY!!

Go and get the keys to one, do the reset, get it up to temp and go and give it a blast - I doubt you will be disappointed!!!

😄👍

·
Chairman
20,322 Posts
The gearbox learns how you or the previous owner drive.

The reset clears that memory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my T3 R-line there is a huge lag if plodding along and then trying to accelerate to overtake. Picks up quickly after the lag, but can be a little disconcerting if there is oncoming traffic. Easily avoided by moving into "sport".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My A4 TFSI also has a little lag when setting off, which is solved by putting it in Sport setting. It's very easy and quick and is just a matter of tipping the gearlever back to go into Sport and then repeat to return to the previous setting. I usually do this on approach to roundabouts. Does the Sport setting also result in a quicker takeoff from rest in the Treg? How easy is it to select and deselect the Sport setting? I'm trying to find the time to arrange a test drive if I can find a potential buy not to far away.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi.

I go into Sport when approaching roundabouts, going round sharper corners and when coming to a stop from speed. Sometimes if I'm driving round the lanes I will use Sport as it reduces the number of gear changes.

Yes, I think selecting Sport results in a quicker take off.

Selecting sport couldn't be easier - just push the gear selector lever back, you're in Sport, pull it back again and for Drive. Push it over to the left and you are manual mode.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm still looking to test drive a treg and have been reading reviews in which it is said that setting off in the 3 litre Tdi is a sluggish affair, with a significant delay in response. One theory out there is that it is deliberately engineered in to prevent too much torque damaging the gearbox ( I find this hard to believe). Another theory I've read is that it is engineered in to reduce emissions. I think Tom said this on Autogefuhl and he seems pretty knowledgeable.

Can anyone comment on 1. is the delay an issue on these cars? and 2. Is it possible to tune this out of the engine? I should stress that when the time comes I don't want to do a remap of the engine, just ensure a smooth and instant response. I wouldn't want a remap in case it affects the warranty etc.
Hi treg999
is the delay an issue ? - Personally I say no - yes there is a slight delay, but I use the paddle shift to bring up the revs and anticipate when I want to accelerate. I feel it very quiet and comfortable but not a sportscar

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think you need the keys to one and to put it thru it's paces.

Until you chimed in about the lag, I never really noticed it and it has never bothered me at all. And I am a picky mofo.

Having owned a few M power cars and liking a bit of performance (in my younger days!), when I first drove Treg and booted it, I honestly couldn't believe how much power and torque the Treg puts out and how for a 2200kg car, it still goes like stink.

It ain't gonna compare to a performance vehicle with launch control or a manual box, but trust me - 7p Tregs freaking move!!

Get they keys, get it to temp, get your right foot down - get a big smile!

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi.

I go into Sport when approaching roundabouts, going round sharper corners and when coming to a stop from speed. Sometimes if I'm driving round the lanes I will use Sport as it reduces the number of gear changes.

Yes, I think selecting Sport results in a quicker take off.

Selecting sport couldn't be easier - just push the gear selector lever back, you're in Sport, pull it back again and for Drive. Push it over to the left and you are manual mode.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Davey, this is another reason to go for a Treg, because I love that feature. I rarely use the flappy paddles but use Sport a lot

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi treg999
is the delay an issue ? - Personally I say no - yes there is a slight delay, but I use the paddle shift to bring up the revs and anticipate when I want to accelerate. I feel it very quiet and comfortable but not a sportscar
And that's the thing but this isn't Treg related. If you're ambling along at 50MPH and are looking to overtake you'd be looking to drop the gears till you find one that's in the power band so when you do plant your foot the engine is primed and ready. Good practice in any vehicle. It's one thing I've always drummed into the older kids too that you must be choosing a suitable gear to overtake safely and quickly.

Just on the standing start. It's quick. ;) The low down gears are great for towing and you'll easily get to 5th before 30ish MPH

·
Registered
191 Posts
100%!

I could be in 6th gear at 50mph in my M3 and acceleration was slow, drop it down into 2nd or 3rd and it would tear your face off! And it was NA, so no turbo lag...

In the Treg, I find that once you are over 2k revs, the torque is there, I reckon the turbo is spooling up at 2k (maybe someone can confirm?) and you are off!

Always gotta be in the right gear for the circumstances!! Thats driving 101. I guess (but actually have no idea) that EV's are the only vehicles which are going to take off at any speed as they dont use gears.

Lag - not worth worrying about,
Performance - like I said before, they freaking move!!
MPG - don't look!

Get the keys to one, get it warm and get it moving, then report back - I honestly don't think you will be disappointed!!!

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts