Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 2004 TDI a month ago at an auction and went to pick it up yesterday. I drive it 30 miles on back roads at 40-45mph and stop for lunch. I get on the highway and 10 to 15 minutes later the temp gauge is at 250 and the overheat warning comes on so I pull over and shut it down. Oil temp has been 230-240F, oil level is full, air temp is 80F and I've been doing 65 all the way. It's not steaming/boiling over or leaking coolant and the fans are on. Ten minutes later I get back on the road putting the heat on full blast and with the temp gauge straight up at 200F but it slowly creeps up in 15 minutes to 250F so I pull over again for 10 minutes before resuming. Go through this 2 more times but now when I pull over I run over some broken glass on the shoulder and now one tire is flat. I've had it and call AAA to tow it the rest of the way home.

I have it home now (at my mothers house in Florida) and checked the coolant level which is normal. Then I got the truck scanned and it has code P0599 THERMOSTAT HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH stored. I'll have to check what that covers but what I gathered so far is that the thermostat acts like it's set at 230F all the time. Anyone know where the thermostat is located and how hard it is to replace?

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Found this on the web (W8 forum, so should be relevant) I used the code you posted:

"The Bentley manual says that the SAE OBDII Code P0599 on the W8 (BDP) is... you're gonna hate this... Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High.

Diagnosis involves removing the upper and lower intake manifold to get to the thermostat, measuring the resistance of the thermostat heater coil, and checking the wiring between it and the ECU for continuity, shorts, open circuits, and the like.

The problem could be the thermostat, wiring, or the ECU. Or... could maybe also be one of the two temp sensors."

And a HUGE welcome to you from here over the pond...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should be happy its not the waterpump which as someone else said, requires the engine to come out to replace it. So the V10 TDI would have the same location for the thermostat as the W8?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts