Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Folks!!

Probably not the best moment to try and get some help from you guys given that Kaine is in the midst of a sterling effort to update the forum but...........I have a problem!!

On Thursday morning I started my V10 to head off to work - it was very cold so, as normal, it took a few seconds for the glow-plugs to warm up but it fired up no problem. I spent a moment waiting for the windscreen to clear and sorted out some music on the MP3 before reversing out of my drive into the road.
As I shifted from 'R' to 'D' the engine cut out and would not re-start.

All I got when trying to re-start was a sharp 'click' type noise - no turning over, no starter motor or anything.

Put my hazzard lights on, shifted into 'N' and tried to push the beast back off the road onto my driveway - 2.5 tones aint easy (even on the flat) and when one wheel started to rub the kerb, it was impossible!
Cut a very long story short - with help from two neighbours and a good samaritan, we got the V10 back onto the drive and I dashed off to work on my bike.

I figured that the battery must've been too weak to keep the engine running - been sat around for days in the freezing cold over the 'festering' period!
That evening, after work, I removed the 'second' battery from the bootspace and hooked it up to charge in the warmth indoors - by morning it was indicating as being fully re-charged but I left it on 'trickle charge' for the rest of yesterday.

Today I re-fitted it and 'no joy' - just the same sharp 'click' noise.

I thought maybe the battery was knackered, so I got a new Bosch one from Halfords and fitted that - again, 'no joy' - just the same sharp 'click' noise.

Headlights wouldn't come on though either, so, I thought maybe it is the battery under the front passenger seat that is weak - swapped that one over (with the original re-charged battery) - again, 'no joy' - just the same sharp 'click' noise.

Headlights now work though!!

It is as though there is plenty of battery power, and the sharp 'click' sounds as if something would love to get started but can't!
In the old days I would be looking for a sticking starter motor to give it a tap with a hammer!

Anybody got any ideas what I should be looking at next? - failing your help I will just have to bite the bullet and make an expensive 'phone call!!

Any thoughts or ideas will be gratefully received!!

Cheers,

John.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kaine,

I fitted a brand new battery in the luggage compartment - the engine starting battery.

This didn't solve the problem, so I swapped the battery under the front passenger seat for another re-charged battery - this didn't solve the problem either.

All the electrics appear to be working fine just get a single 'click' when I try to start the damn thing!

Any ideas?

Cheers,
John.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I may be pointing you in completely the wrong direction but given that this happened when you moved the gear lever I wonder if the mechanism that prevents you starting the car in gear has failed or slipped as I think there may be magnets or trip switches or somesuch that tells the electronics if the gear lever is in the right place from what others have reported on here.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Nooby!

Like you, I'm begining to think that it is going to be something completely unrelated to battery problems!
It will probably end up being something to do with sensors and/or protection mechanisms preventing the car starting - I just wish it would tell me what it is!!

I have just been out to try and start up (ever hopeful!) and aside from a single click nothing happens but I do now have a fault message showing on the dashboard display: "Fault Running Gear Workshop" with a picture showing an outline of the car with up and down arrows.
This would seem to indicate some sort of problem with the air suspension but I also gather it is a fault warning that can sometimes be erroneously generated by battery problems!

I'm at a bit of a loss now really!

Cheers,
John.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
If the car clicks then some power is getting through but weather it is enough I am not sure.

Could be starter motor or even ringgear.
Can you see the starter at all from any angle( may be a stupid question when the engine bay is full of v10 )

if so it is always worth the old fashioned tap with a hammer or a long metal bar.

Coming back to the power thing though, does anyone have flow diagram of the wiring on these babies.
It may have a relay somewhere that has failed.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buzzard,

The click sounds more like a heavy-duty relay switch.

I have had a look under the bonnet and even with the engine covers removed I cannot see anything that even vaguely resembles an 'old fashioned' starter motor. The trouble is, everything is packed so tightly together on the V10 that unless it's up on a lift - it is very difficult to see what is what!

I guess these days a little knowledge is worse than none at all!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hi I don't know if this will help... The symptoms are relevant to battery issues but the start sequence will only invoke the the secondary battery if the key is turned to the left and held for a few seconds then to the normal start and held for around 5 seconds whilst keeping the foot on the brake pedal.

In the case of the V10 the glow plug in the low temperatures will often take up to twenty seconds to fire up the engine and one has to keep your foot on the brake pedal for the whole of the time to the starting of the engine.
Sorry if you are already aware of the above...

Good luck

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your helpful advice - I have tried all your suggestions but unfortunately nothing has worked!

There is plenty of power coming from the batteries - everything lights up like Blackpool illuminations now, but all I get is the dreaded 'click' and then the "Fault Running Gear Workshop" message on the dashboard display!

I have been at work all day but have now decided to take the day off tomorrow to get the damn thing sorted out.

I have got AA Homestart so will get them out and at least they will hopefully be able to take the Treg to the local stealers if they can't get it started.
The car is under warrantee and I would've called in the AA Homestart people earlier but didn't know where the warrantee company would want the car taken to for repairs.

Will AA Homestart take it to the garage of my choice or does it have to be the nearest one?

Many thanks,

John.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
okrang said:
Will AA Homestart take it to the garage of my choice or does it have to be the nearest one?
Just had ours taken 30ish miles instead of 15 to dealer of our choice with homestart, so just say where you want it taken to, and smile sweetly.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HFG,

That's good!

Cheers,
John.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
AA - deliver to garage of choice.

Does your warrantee cover main dealer labour?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Nooby,

Last year I had my keyless entry and start system replaced by Vindis VW, that was all paid for under warranty, so I guess it does cover main dealer labour rates.

The garage I bought the Treg from second-hand also sold me the warranty - they handled the claim for me and will be dealing with the car this time too - I spoke to them on the 'phone today.

Cheers,
John.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Easy tiger!

You trying to wind up the BFG with your "warrantee"?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wurzel said:
Easy tiger!

You trying to wind up the BFG with your "warrantee"?
I thought it was the BQF!!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Oh yeah, that's him.

I'm going to go and daub his front door with "Pedant" and "Dirty Apostrophile"

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Tee hee!!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Hi buzzard,

No news yet I'm afraid!

I had to wait three days before I could get it flat bed trucked over to the garage - AA Relay Homestart service was suspended for 72 hours to allow the recovery service to prioritise snow-stranded motorists. Fair enough really!
AA engineer didn't have much of an idea - the first thing he said to me was: " I don't know much about these things I'm afraid"!

I might get some sort of diagnosis tomorrow but am not holding my breath!

Reassuringly, all concerned seem perfectly happy that whatever it is, it is covered under the warranty (almost spelt it wrong again!) that I took out when I purchased it - so that's a relief!

I have a courtesy car from the people I bought the V10 from ( Cambridge Car Company) - a V6 Renault Laguna! It's quite a fun car to drive actually - especially in the present weather conditions!!

I will keep you updated!

Cheers,
John.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts