Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on what wheels and tyres will fit our V10's for 'softroad' work - sandy roads, mud, grass, beach - that kind of thing. Nothing too arduous. Have a spare set of 19" rims if I could find good AT style to fit. Need to get something sorted urgently!

56 Touareg V10 Altitude Matte Black
05 Touareg V10 Matte Black
09 Touareg R50 Matte Black - waiting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rich,
Seems that there is an issue finding decent AT tyres for the 19" Rims. We run Toyo Proxies & P Zero's on the 20" rims, which are useless off the black stuff. The search continues.
JB

G

·
I think you may need to be looking for a cheap set of 18's as these seem to be the best choice when fitted with AT tyres. I believe the V10 was originally specced with 18's and one has to think that VW did this for a reason.

·
115 Posts
Hi,

I run a spare set of General Grabbers AT2 on 18" for the winter mud/off road (Paddock Spares usually have the best price). While these aren't available for 19", I'm told that the General Grabber UHP is a perfectly decent on/off road tyre, more biased to on. If you do go for this, its cheaper and easier to find in 285/45/19 rather than the usual 275/45/19 - try Camskill for supply.
Also might be worth considering the Yokohama Advan ST in 19".
Suppliers mentioned assume you are in the UK.
By the way, like the matt look! 8)

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
19" are too big IMHO as others have mentioned.

The thing to be REALLY CAREFUL about is the beach.

These are big heavy cars and I would NEVER take one on a beach EVER! Salt and sand are not good for cars.

I once took a Range Rover Classic on a French beach and got beached! Late in the eveing, no one around, so gather rocks and stones and start to put them behind the wheels for some grip moving a few inches at a time with the tide coming in.

Then, out of the evening gloom came a large French family out for a pre-dinner walk and it took all 20 people to push the car back to hard ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Justin at Monty's Wheels & Tyres in Iver, Bucks have just sorted me out with 4 x brand new 18" Touareg Alloys, fitted with 255/55/18 109H General Grabber AT tyres. At a
great price too.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Care to share the price?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
re the beach: wouldn't ordinarily venture onto the beach. However we do have a Caterpillar on standby should we get our 3500kg rig stuck! Working with a new BMW X something or other - my money is on that getting stuck rather than us!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
v12vantage said:
?870 inc vat, = ?217.50 a corner ready to roll and in just a few hours - splendid service
That's very good. Any pix?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
noobytoogy said:

I once took a Range Rover Classic on a French beach and got beached! Late in the eveing, no one around, so gather rocks and stones and start to put them behind the wheels for some grip moving a few inches at a time with the tide coming in.

Then, out of the evening gloom came a large French family out for a pre-dinner walk and it took all 20 people to push the car back to hard ground.
My Dad,who was a Royal Fusilier infantryman in WW2,said the French were very good at pushing backwards.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Nimrod said:
noobytoogy said:

My Dad,who was a Royal Fusilier infantryman in WW2,said the French were very good at pushing backwards.
Well I can tell you, your Dad was dead right!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts