Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I have a battery problem on my V10 every so often.

My habit is to use keyless start. The starter will exhibit all the signs of a flat battery. I insert the key in the ignition and turn to start and the engine starts without any problem or hint of a flat battery.

I come back to the car and start using the key. I get the same problem and solution, vise versa.

Also the keyless entry has ceased to function. Related problems??

I have repeatedly trickle charged the battery (ies) using the posts in the engine compartment.

This is not the first time this has happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Hi
This mostly occurs when the battery is on the way out, ie does not hold charge to full capacity. I found with my vehicle the keyless will work after doing along run than after that it will work for a while. Also sometimes the the kessy unit will go to sleep, this can be woken up by holding the key in the door lock in the open position for a few seconds, don't forget to insert the key in the ignition afterwards. Not doing so will set off the alarm.

Are there any other symptoms such as a shut down of other functions such as heated seats or sat/nav? Sometimes the kessy unit is the first function to be shutdown when the battery is on the way out.The AGM battery is good for three to four years after that it can be a bit unpredictable.

The kessy unit is a unit that, is after some years, does fail it also can be the antenne that fail.

Good luck
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New battery fitted under the seat. All solved apart from keyless entry. Any fixes?

I would love to get the designer in my sights tho. Make him swap 50 batteries. That'd teach him. What a stupid design!!

JH
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,970 Posts
hardwire said:
New battery fitted under the seat. All solved apart from keyless entry. Any fixes?

I would love to get the designer in my sights tho. Make him swap 50 batteries. That'd teach him. What a stupid design!!

JH
Totally agree.

There should be a list of simple jobs, spark plug change, wiper change, oil change, battery change - all the kid of jobs people can safely do themselves and when the car is in prototype, the designer should be put in a workshop with a basic set of tools and do all the tasks himself within allotted times.

If he can't do the time or the job or comes out with blood on his knuckles, then it's back to the drawing board!

As if he fails a second time, he's taken outside and shot!!
 
G

·
In my personally opinion what you'll then get is inexperienced and unqualified people working on stuff they do not know about.
Like you said 'Nooby', in your previous post(s) about you being uncertain if you could fit your Brake Discs properly, leave it to those whom are qualified and know how to see the job safely and competently through from beginning to end.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
749 Posts
bnl said:
In my personally opinion what you'll then get is inexperienced and unqualified people working on stuff they do not know about.
Like you said 'Nooby', in your previous post(s) about you being uncertain if you could fit your Brake Discs properly, leave it to those whom are qualified and know how to see the job through from beginning to end
I agree to a point BNL, but i think some basic maint tasks, wipers battery bulbs etc should be user friendly.

The other side of the coin is that there is money to be earned in service, and people who would buy a new Touareg would be able to afford the service items etc, the thing that isnt taken into account i feel is the 2nd user and thereafter at which point things like changing the battery, brake pads become items one may want to attempt.
 
G

·
furion said:
bnl said:
In my personally opinion what you'll then get is inexperienced and unqualified people working on stuff they do not know about.
Like you said 'Nooby', in your previous post(s) about you being uncertain if you could fit your Brake Discs properly, leave it to those whom are qualified and know how to see the job through from beginning to end
I agree to a point BNL, but i think some basic maint tasks, wipers battery bulbs etc should be user friendly.

The other side of the coin is that there is money to be earned in service, and people who would buy a new Touareg would be able to afford the service items etc, the thing that isnt taken into account i feel is the 2nd user and thereafter at which point things like changing the battery, brake pads become items one may want to attempt.
What you need to consider is how much damage you can do if you say fit a battery incorrectly, at the very least you could blow one of the 10, ECU's on a Touareg, ( VERY EXPENSIVE )
at worst set the car on fire if you fail to make sure the positive terminal is protected from earthing out.

One story i know off concerns an incorrectly fitted wiperblade which came off the arm and narrowly missed a Pedestrians eye.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm afraid you've missed the point. Bad design is bad design. I merely wanted to say that designers should be made aware of the problems their lazy and thoughtless packaging makes in the real world, even to driving VW mechanics crazy. It also increase the price of working on these carsa (not just VW) due to the extra labour time needed to work around these stupidities.

Here in the wilds of Spain, VW service is patchy and the standard appalling at times. I have been royaly ripped off by these experts a few times. Jobs must be done in a timely fashion and cars kept on the road. This means going to the local mechanic in a pinch. Changing a battery should not be a specialist job.

Finally, if someone enjoys DIY let them get on with it.
 
G

·
hardwire said:
I'm afraid you've missed the point. Bad design is bad design. I merely wanted to say that designers should be made aware of the problems their lazy and thoughtless packaging makes in the real world, even to driving VW mechanics crazy. It also increase the price of working on these carsa (not just VW) due to the extra labour time needed to work around these stupidities.

Here in the wilds of Spain, VW service is patchy and the standard appalling at times. I have been royaly ripped off by these experts a few times. Jobs must be done in a timely fashion and cars kept on the road. This means going to the local mechanic in a pinch. Changing a battery should not be a specialist job.

Finally, if someone enjoys DIY let them get on with it.
Need not tell me about bad design i've been working on cars professionally since the early 1980's, you just learn to get around it. Getting back to the battery problem with the Touareg, there just inst enough room under the bonnet on the higher end Touaregs, to make putting the battery there feasible. There's neither any room under the boot floor where it could go either, so often, there is a reason

If you really feel that badly about the 'Design Features' of the Touareg, go buy something else - Simple
 

·
Member
Joined
·
62 Posts
ToyBoy said:
@ hardwire

bnl said:
There's neither any room under the boot floor where it could go either, so often, there is a reason
Beg to differ as my V10 has a feckin' huge battery under my spare
But also has another battery just as big under your passenger seat
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top