Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to you all from a Newbie. I have just brought a V10, 54 reg with nearly 90,000 miles and having had it for a week I now have an air leak on the front nearside strut. I have narrowed it down to the little brass air valve that goes into the top of the strut with the pinky coloured air hose. Benn down to the VW stealer and have ordered a V7Lo 616 813B Valve. Two points: has anybody changed one in the past, do they unthread from the alloy strut boday easily, (I think not!), secondly, mine had corroded away around the crimped section where road crud had collected and made the alloy fizz away. Probably worth checking yours. They are easy to see just raise the car and have a poke around with a small pointed objetc/ pressure washer to remove the crud from behind. If it goes well I will probably replace both as a precaution.
Second part of the question is when I have replaced it will I have to re-program the suspension or should it all just pump up and level off ?
I too seem to have the airbag light warning, going to delve under the passenger seat tomorrow to see what I can find in the way of loose connections.
Really pleased with the car so far and discovered a bonus: I was going to fit a towbar, but delving into the spare wheel well what did I find but a Westfalia removable one ! The previous owner, (the 2nd) didn't even know about it ...
Finally, ( I promise!), how do I find out if my car has had this legendary update on the software etc ? Is it just a case of going to the dealer, (Breeze in Poole, are they any good with Tregs?), with the chassis number and asking them ?
Thanking you in advance.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Applying some WD40 or other penetrating oil 24 hours before you try to unbolt anything is always a good starting point!

On the updates, I and others have found stickers on the floor panel beside the spare wheel.

The VW dealer can also tell you and they can run off the build sheets, about 6-8 pages, which tell you all the extras the car has.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I fixed the leak last night. Air valve arrived as promised at dealer. JAcked up car, had to do boath sides because of the ARB and set to work. The old fitting was corroded into the alloy strut as an ammorphous mess that I had sprayed with WD40 for two nights previously. I dug as much out as I could with a sharp point and then got some mole grips on the fitting. It broke off... Not unexpectidly I guess. So out came the drill, with a vacuum cleaner to suck up the swarf. drilled out as much of the fitting as I could then using a cold chisel managed toremove the rest. What a result the alloy thread was undamaged!. Popped in the new fitting with a little hydraulic seal, lowered the car, started the engine, all levelled up, no warnings on the dash ! What a result, about a grand for a new strut or ?200 from a breaker, bu tno: ?30 for the little part from a dealer and an evenings work.

·
886 Posts
Great result !

Doesn't sound like a job for the faint hearted though.

Enjoy your Treg.

Cheers

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts