Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum, so i appologies if this info is already out there somewhere.

On the side wall of the tyre look for the words "tyre wear" and a number after it, from what i have seen it is not very big on the very outer edge.

100 is the controle number, so anything above a 100 will wear better, typically 300 or over is not bad, however that isnt much of a point of refernace.

So .. on my bmw i had Falken FK452's which have a Tread Wear of 300, on my Treg the dealer has fitted Bridgston ER30 Turanza which have a rating of 140.

As the tyres are new on my Treg i am going to keep a note of the tread depth wear every month and see how much it goes down wrt to miles and post it on the forum.

I generally only do about forty miles a day on average with a bit in town and a bit on a dual carriage way.

I hope this will be of some help, as i couldnt find anywhere how the number of 100 equated to miles, mostley because there are so many variables, type of car, type of driving etc.

From what i have read on the forum, i am not expecting the Bridgestones to last much more than 10k.

Furion

Current: Touareg 2.5 R5 SE SPORT TDI, smoke Glass, Auto, Parking Sensors, Rear DVD, Leather
Current: BMW 525SE
Gone: BMW 325i Sport
Gone: Audi A4 Avant TDI 130 SE
Gone:BMW 320TD Sport Compact

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Furion,did you have a say in the choice of tyre fitted to your Treg?
I've checked the treadwear rating and it is indeed 140.
I'd be really surprised if you reach 10,000 miles,assuming no uneven wear issues.
The traction rating is only A as well.so you're not sacrificing longevity for grip.

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
Those of us who changed to Hankooks (420 rating from memory) also found that extended tyre life wasn't at the expense of grip or performance either.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
There is a dedicated section on tyres on this Forum with loads of info.

It will pay you to spend a bit of time here to see what others think and have fitted.

viewforum.php?f=43

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nimrod, No i didnt have any say, but i will next time.

A few people have mentioned Hankook, all say pretty well say the Hanks lasted much longer, i will be looking at them in the not to distant future more than likely

Furion

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Furion,good luck with the tyres and let us know how you get on.
If you're new to Touareg you'll get lots of help and advice on here.
The Search facility will help you find the answer to a lot of problems but don't be afraid to ask......someone will always help.
Safe driving

1 - 6 of 6 Posts