Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I know. I know bloody tyres again - I have seen so much previously, I'm confused

Is there anybody out there that can give me a definitive on tyres - I need 275/45/19's for a 3.0 Alt. I am currently running on Bridgestone Duelers and I have to say I am fairly happy with them (although I have only got 18k out of them - that still seems to be more than some and i dont hang around)

It seems a lazy way of researching but I;m hoping to catch someone whos just been throuigh a tyre change and has got good tyres cheap!

Thanks in anticipation

John

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
It depends what you really want out of the tyre.

Personally I see little point in having a highly capable offroader that can't cross a muddy field or deal with 4 inches of snow and the incline out of my drive onto the local main road a mile away, so my next choice is an all-rounder, year rounder - the General Grabber UHP.

Reasonably priced, quite good wear rating, a decent tread, quiet [so I am reliably informed] and about ?100 a corner fully fitted at my home by, yes, Event Tyres [I admit their Henley depot is just across the fields from my home but they will still insist on sending the van over!].

Actually I'd love to fit these:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2427967

...but they are really OTT!

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Maxime said:
Try http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/ I have just had my tyres changed today. Good competitive prices and very good service. I had the Toyo AT fitted on 18''
Maxime
Maxime,if the UK tyre compounds are the same as US,that tyre has a wear rating of 500.ie should be extremely hardwearing.
Hankook Ventus RH06,which many people rave about,has a wear rating of 420.
Maxime,does the tyre seem quiet on the road?

·
17 Posts
new to this forum, hsd my 2.5 altitude for 3 weeks now and love it...

it has done 20,000 miles and still has 5-6 mls of tread all round on toyo 275/45 19;s great tyres for the money, ?100 a corner cant be bad?...very little road noise, and eye catching rotational tread pattern

could do much worse than toyo's

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - some good responses so far

I might look at Event - the website says it will fit in Cheshire - Does anybody know how good the wheel balancing machine is - I know even some high st operations struggle to adequately balance the Tregs huge wheels ?

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
Not heard of any balacing problems with Event.

Suggest you pick the phone up and talk to them.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I used Event some time ago for a Mercedes- they came down to my home in Burton on Trent and did a great job (not a mark on the wheels)- I would recomend them

Cas

·
178 Posts
Hi Nimrod,
The Toyo AT has a tread wear of 500 written on the side wall. I took the car out for a spin and did not notice much difference in terms of tyre noise compared to the Pirelli Pzero. If anything, it was the clattering of the 2.5 engine that I could hear!!!
Maxime

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Thanks Maxime.
A noisy clatter is a friendly clatter

Event is getting such a good review that I'm going to give them a go when my tyres are due.
Prices are good and at least you can "supervise"on your own drive
i've had tyres fitted before and had to watch at a distance when the dreaded BIG hammer comes out.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done a bit of research over the last week and the general concensus based on value for money, wear, grip, noise etc is the General Grabbers UHP.

Event Tyres can do four for about ? 562 ish

If anybody thinks I'm making a big mistake STOP ME NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!

Cheers

Shipscat

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Shipscat,
I've been researching tyres as well as I'm not far off the treadwear markers.
I haven't checked prices lately but I've come to the conclusion that i'm going to use Event and fit Grabbers too.
Researching US sites tells me that they are quiet,should be high mileage and adequate for our roads.
However,the thing that decided me was I can watch the fitter like a hawk,I've had too many wheels mucked up in the past by big hammers and weights in the most noticeable positions.

·
178 Posts
It is good that we are all trying different brands and types so that, in one to three years we call all evaluate the wear / mileage we get out of them. Nimrod, with regards to fitting, you can see everything that the fitter does (Event Tyres). I wonder whether a dedicated thread can be created so that everyone can log in the Tyre make, Type (Road based, AT, etc), type of motoring and mileage obtained, noise level, so that members can have some idea what to opt for.
Maxime

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
I think it is time someone had a little chat with Event to see if we can get some more discount!

I went to their yard near Henley as its just across the fields from me, but it is only a distribution centre for their vans.

It seems a truck delivers the tyres in the early hours, and in the morning the fitters load up what they need for the day from that delivery.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had the Grabbers fitted by Event - have to say excellent service. Courteous, punctual and good job at competitive price

Highly recommended

Tyres look 'mean' as well

·
114 Posts
shipscat said:
Just had the Grabbers fitted by Event - have to say excellent service. Courteous, punctual and good job at competitive price

Highly recommended

Kindly let us know how you get on with these tyres, once they've settled in. I'm thinking of getting these soon-ish. Ta.

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
shipscat said:

Highly recommended

Could you post pix pls?

·
93 Posts
hi guys i have read this with interest.

i also have a 3.0L with the 275x45x19

i see a good choice is the general grabber

However this choice and some of the alternative are not rated as XL like the pirellis that are fitted as standard

surely VW fitted these for a reason.

Could i have some informed comments please - not speculation - sorry dont mean to be rude.

just want this to be a fact based answer rather than "I THINK". Do we have any experts out there

I accept we dont need "Y" rated tyres but the load issue bugs me

regards all

1 - 20 of 42 Posts