Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well - it's happened to me now. :angry2: Noticed some "skipping" on full lock at low speeds during wet weather / when on loose surfaces a couple of months ago. Then, at about 7k miles thought the inside edge of front n/s tyre was definitely showing more wear than the others. At 7,500 miles rang Hadwins @ Lindale and they had the car in 3 days later for a full check in order to report to VW.

3 weeks later they have had my baby in for 2 days and their intentions were:
1) Full alignment check
2) ECU interrogation
3) Replace all 4 tyres

They reported that VW's position was "up to 12,000 miles this will be a warranty matter, but they would only pay for 50% of the 4 tyres replaced". Not too put out with that as I have had nearly 9k miles out of them before getting this work done. They were going to replace tyres like for like with Turanzas, but I declined and asked for Hankooks. They agreed, but when they looked in to it the declared them to be a little MORE expensive than the Bridgestones. I pointed out where I could source them from and at what price. Hadwins, bless, went off to look a little harder & finally got a price a lot less than they initially quoted, but more than best internet search price (but included fitting & balance, of course)

Anyway, took the Beast in yesterday. Got a 55 reg Passat loaner. They called me today to say my car was ready for collection. The outcome was:
FULL ALIGNMENT CHECK - all readings "green", i.e. within tolerances - but their master technician did say all the readings were at the limit of the acceptable tolerances and VW were now sticklers for them to be slap in the middle and spot on - so adjustments made.
ECU INTERROGATION - software found to be "old" version. Latest version downloaded.
TYRES - 4 nice new Hankooks fitted.

All the papers are being sent to VW to get warranty payment. When that is done I will get an invoice for my share of the tyres - anticipated to be about ?240 - ?250 (Approx ?104 per tyre + fitting & balance + VAT)

Hadwins were very good.
They were in the hands of VW :winkcool: who processed paperwork at a reasonable pace and I have the tyres on that I was going to fit before next winter, with half of them paid for too. :clap:

I am about to invest in a tyre tread depth gauge to check that when I do the pressures, to keep a closer watch on things until I am satisfied nothing is still amiss.

Rob

·
3,680 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tyre problem but good to hear that it's all been sorted hassle free.

Keep a close eye on it just in case the ECU upgrade has not sorted the problem ours returned within 2 weeks.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Glad to see you have the problem sorted

Wish VW were as understanding when I had the same issue

Still - current set of tyres are still going strong after 21k (just hit 36.5k) so I can't grumble too much

Add in the saving of having brakes that last 36.5k and it's Happy Days :clap:

I was not, however, thinking this at the time I was trying to get the issue sorted :bashwall:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Rob, as a matter of interest, when was your Treg delivered, and have you had any alignment done previously?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Rob - my understanding, as previously posted, is that 10k miles is the trigger point. Under this if there is uneven tyre wear then you can expect replacement tyres and full alignment check and only pay 50%.

However

if there is something that needs replacing....like a stepper motor for example....then it should all be done for free under warranty......

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Rob,

Glad they've sorted things for you.

Interesting to note that VW now want all the readings 'spot on' - obviously they have decided neither they nor the owner need the hassle of continued problems, so well done to someobody for that :clap:

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Mark II said:
Interesting to note that VW now want all the readings 'spot on' - obviously they have decided neither they nor the owner need the hassle of continued problems, so well done to someobody for that :clap:
its a nice story. My Treg was delivered back to me with some settings slightly out, however was told that was fine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ShropshireTREG said:
its a nice story. My Treg was delivered back to me with some settings slightly out, however was told that was fine.
Hi Kaine,

I agree it could just be a story, to placate a concerned owner but :think: why would they bother to mention it unless someone 'on high' had decreed to 'get it right' - surely otherwise they'd just say the car was adjusted to 'within acceptable tolerances'.

The problem with the latter of course, is that if the tolerance is +/-0.5Deg then one side of the car could be +0.5Deg whilst the other is -0.5Deg - technically it's still within tolerance but it wouldn't respond the same as if all settings were spot on.

Once I had a car where the steering would self-centre sharply when turning right but had to be assisted when turning left - which was very
. The castor settings were found to be slightly off (in opposite ways) but once they were spot on all was fine.

·
136 Posts
Anyway, took the Beast in yesterday. Got a 55 reg Passat loaner. They called me today to say my car was ready for collection. The outcome was:
FULL ALIGNMENT CHECK - all readings "green", i.e. within tolerances - but their master technician did say all the readings were at the limit of the acceptable tolerances and VW were now sticklers for them to be slap in the middle and spot on - so adjustments made.
ECU INTERROGATION - software found to be "old" version. Latest version downloaded.
TYRES - 4 nice new Hankooks fitted.

Hi Rob.

Sounds to me like a good result :clap:

Be interested to know if you find the Hankooks noisier that the otehr tyres.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
as a matter of interest, did you get the alignment print out? I have mine from last year - it would be interesting to see if the limits are still the same?

Kaine

for reference;

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi folks, thanks for all the repies. Been off-line for a week to to a complete hardware crash...needed a new base unit and had no back-ups done! :bashwall: Fortunately dealer managed to "ghost" most of dead hard drive.

Anyway -
Delivery - Car was a May '05 order, June/July build & September delivery. No previous alignment checks to my knowledge.

Hankooks - no discernable difference in road noise. Have done about 1500 miles since having them fited, lanes & motorways.

Keep an eye on things - Bought a tyre depth gauge to moniter that at same time as pressure checks. Have noticed a slight "juddering" when in reverse sometimes. :think: Might mention that soon.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts