Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I need some new tyres but haven't got a clue what the differences are! I hardly ever go off road and do quite a bit of motorway and town driving.

Event-Tyres are doing a good deal on this one: BRIDGESTONE DUELER D840

Is it any good? ...any other recommendations?

Thanks
Darren

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Hi Darren,

In my opinion (and that of many here) you can't go wrong with a set of General Grabber UHP tyres!
  • They are reasonably hard wearing
    They are priced competitively
    They grip well on and off road in the wet and the dry
    They are fairly quiet
    And.........they look good too!!

Cheers,
john

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent thanks, they're even cheaper too.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has these....

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Darren

There's loads of comments on here about these tyres and others too which have bee provided by lots of people, sometimes several times!

All you have to do is spend a bit of time using the search function or look in the Tyres section [where you posted] and read up on the posts there. Just scroll down and you'll see what I mean.

Give yourself half an hour or so and you'll soon have a good idea what will suit you.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Bridgestone Duellers standard on my 2009 Treg from new. Got to say they are quiet, doing the job and wearing reasonably well so far (5000k). Always been kind to my tyres, so interesting to see how a big , heavy 4x4 abuses them

Cass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
noobytoogy said:
Darren

There's loads of comments on here about these tyres and others too which have bee provided by lots of people, sometimes several times!

All you have to do is spend a bit of time using the search function or look in the Tyres section [where you posted] and read up on the posts there. Just scroll down and you'll see what I mean.

Give yourself half an hour or so and you'll soon have a good idea what will suit you.
Thanks noobytoogy, I've had a good search and found the info you mentioned. I'm still finding my way around the site but its certainly proving very useful indeed! ....I intend to purchase the Grabber tyres ASAP.

Thanks again,
Darren

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Glad you didn't take offence! There's loads of stuff on here on all sorts of issues but sometimes it takes a bit perseverance to find it.

Don't forget people come here for help with problems so you're likely see far more of those which can make you wonder about the Treg's reliability, but I think in general, most people are pleased with their choice of car.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Don't forget the Hankook Ventus RH06's are friggin brilliant too. 100-140 a corner, and longevity has been proven by drivers on here.

·
29 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forum today and wanted to thank everyone for gaining an insight to your experience of the Touareg and in particular Tyre choice. I had to replace all 4 Continental's last year at a cost of over ?800 locally in Belfast. I've just called for a quoye now for two fronts (always went with manufacturers choice in the past) and been told its going to cost ?453 - YES FOR TWO! Not a runner.. going to call around now and see if I can source the Hankooks. The Conti's lasted well on the first set but since then less and less mileage...

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Mac,
if you can't find Hankooks,sometimes they are on back order,then i recommend General Grabber UHP.
Quite a few of us have them and ,I think,everyone is happy.
Good all round tyre,off road is excellent and it's quiet.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
UHPs are also very comfortable due to having slightly softer sidewalls I think but with no apparent difference in cornering or turn in but these days I don't hoon cars like I used to!

·
29 Posts
Thanks guys, think I've just found a supplier for the UHP's so will call them in the morning and if they can sort me out

·
29 Posts
OK so two UHP's ordered this morning from a local outfit in Belfast, ?300 fully fitted. May not be as cheap as say suppliers in England but a hell of a lot cheaper than the Conti's at ?463 from Magowan Tyres !! I promise to post a reply to this after I cover 10,000 miles in them .. I do about 25k a year..

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Don't forget if replacing only 2 tyres - it;s recommended that there is no more than 3mm tread difference between them and your 2 other part worn tyres :!:

Cass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts