Melted before 70K00.00%
blitzed under 80K00.00%
managed up to 90K00.00%
Still rockin over the big 100K00.00%

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am weighing up all of the pro's and con's of the V6 & V10 and going from one twin turbo vehicle that has had to have them replaced I am interested in the longevity of the turbos on the V10 and the V6 diesels.

Would also be interested in If and When a remap was introduced.

Thanks.
Paul.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Same as most cars, turbos are dependant on usage and being treated well, I always warm my engine and allow a cooling period before switching off, my car has covered just under 18k miles with a re map at 15k. I will never use cheap oil. My re map was a custom jobby that allowed a bit of economy as well as performance.

The twin turbo arrangement is to allow 2 smaller and lighter turbines to spin up to positive boost lower down the rev range to give good low down torque from relatively low exhaust pressure. The V6 can manage this from a single unit as the power figures required aren't so high...

To be honest I hardly ever use full boost so I don't expect any real danger of premature wear etc.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Linn for the reply.

was beginning to think no-one would answer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No probs, I hope I was helpful, what car needed replacement blowers? It's pretty unusual nowadays, I can think back to old abused Cosworths and the like that have been overboosted and abused due to lack of owner sympathy or funds to look after a motor??

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
not happened to me so couldn't answer - however I see PBCTREG has just posted in the General Section that his turbo has failed at 44k

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a turbo fail on an RS Turbo back in 1991, I had it heavily modified and basically cooked it, depending on the model, most turbos rely on a very thin film of oil for its main bearing, this is crucial to the units life, temperatures can get really high on petrol cars due to the high revs and increased gas temp/flow. There used to be a gizmo called a "Turbo timer" back in the day and I think these are still sold, they allow you to park up and walk away from the car after a fast drive and leave the engine running to allow cooler oil to circulate around the turbo, they worked as well ! They are secure too so no one can steal the car while the engine is still running. Cosworth owners loved these things.

Also its very important to keep your oil clean, I know that oil has got better over the years but as a member of the RS owners club us guys would use QXR/Mobil One every 3,000 miles. If the bearing gets scored from dirty oil then its a matter of a few miles before failure, the turbo impeller takes some stick and the blades are balanced to over 100,000 rpm, and fragments of metal can come away from the blades over time unbalancing the whole unit and waering it out faster.

Most diesel cars stress their turbos a lot less than petrol cars but all the same principles apply.
Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts