Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

First of all, please excuse for begining my first post here with a problem (even before introducing me duly - I aknowledge my lack of politeness presently, but I shall introduce myself ASAP).
To make it short, I've had my Touareg R5 TDI for 4 years now, pretty happy with, except for the usual batch of problems - mainly transfer case, alternator coupling gear, and a few minor bugs.

Recently, I decided to give a little more power to my Treg, and read everything that could be read on the various existing systems on the Internet. Then I came across your excellent forum, and read a few positive reviews about the Tunit box. I understand the remaps work better and safer, but I wanted something "removable". So I decided to go for the Tunit box, contacted Dan from Tunit Lancashire, who proposed a reconditionned unit for my Treg. Pretty good transaction and fast shipping.

After trying to install the Tunit box by myself, I realized how difficult it was to remove this ECU connector located behin the cylinder head.
So I decided to have it install by a professional (Car Competition), to be sure things were made the good way.
I had an appointment last week -tuesday), and the install part of it went smooth (10 minutes or so), because the guy had the same Touareg as mine and fitted the same type of box (2 Touaregs in fact).
But the trial part proved to be a real catastrophy: no effect at all on the car's performances (even worse, particularly at low revs), and a very very large amount of black exhaust fumes, whatever the settings of the Tunit box, which astounded the guy who installed the box (a real "gas-works" from his own words!).
He was very puzzled as he had his 2 Touaregs equipped with the same box, and worked perfectly. Actually, he sells quite the same boxes as Tunit (even the leaflet/package/connectors are the same), but with another sticker on it (Austrian provider - Don't remember the name of it, maybe Kubler or something like that), and not the same bhp/torque values for the Touareg (inferior values than the Tunit).
After the test, and as nothing worked, we decided to remove the Tunit box, and he came to the conclusion that the box is not working.

But worst of all, is that now my car keeps going into "Limp home" mode after the Tunit box was removed. Way back home, I had a 60km drive, 1/3 main road and 2/3 motorway, and I had to stop every 4/5 minutes to stop the car and then leave the "Limp home" mode (the car wouldn't exceed 90 km/h - 60 mph).
Another test today and the problem is still present.

I've just returned the Tunit box to Dan who should provide me with total refund, but he doesn't understand what has gone wrong with this box. Maybe I'll have explanations as soon as he gets the box back.

So my question is:
Do you have any idea why the car goes into "Limp home" mode after removing the Tunit box, and will this be a permanent phenomenom? Should have take my car to VW dealer for repair? (the car has been serviced 3 weeks ago and proved to be in perfect condition). Has anyone of you experienced the same with a similar system? After thinking about it, maybe the EGR valve has stuck becoause of the large amount of fumes produced... which would be the least evil.
The only thing I can do is taking the car back to my VW dealer (I don't know how I will explain the problem - talking about the Tunit or ont), but I really am afraid about possible serious consequences on the vehicle.

I really am disappointed, things should have been fine, but this trial has turned into a real nightmare for me, and I hope there won't be any serious consequences. In this case, do I have the least chance to have the repairs of my car supported by Tunit (I have a one year warranty on the box - but I live in France)?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I suspect that your VW dealer will find fault codes caused by the TUNIT box misfuelling the engine [hence the excessive smoke] when he plugs the car into VAG.com which, if nothing mechanical or electrical has gone wrong, he should be able to clear and get everything back to normal. Personally I wouldn't mention the TUNIT box - Tregs get enough glitches anyway!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
obiwan, I had a tunit installed in my manual 2.5tdi, like you say it was a bugger, so I let the professional do it for me. I had absolutely no problems with it, so I can't help you really with your problem.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noobytoogy said:
if nothing mechanical or electrical has gone wrong, he should be able to clear and get everything back to normal. Personally I wouldn't mention the TUNIT box - Tregs get enough glitches anyway!
I wish it happened this way. I do not suspect any mechanical or electrical bug, as we tried the car no more than 10 minutes.
And yes, I won't mention the Tunit!
I'll give a call tomorrow and will cross as many fingers I can!
For the moment, my Treg will keep but its 174 ponies, not a single more!

Thanx for your support.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I'd go for a remap. With most mappers, you can always go back to original spec later if you want, usually for free.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I Had an appointment today at my VW Dealer... I couldn't help mentioning the Tunit (because I can't lie!), so he plugged the vagcom and found various defaults codes indeed (zero default on last service 3 weeks ago). He mentioned one particular default code "turbocharger - low pressure" which annoyed him somehow. Maybe a problem from the turbocharger itself or an associated component (clogged/disconnected/cracked hose, etc).
He cleared the various default codes, but unfortunately, the car still behaves as I described formely.
I'll have to ask for another appointment next week for a complete diagnosis

A real nightmare as I told you! I will report these information to Dan from Tunit Lancashire and will see what he will do/advise (or not!)

Any help appreciated,
Thanx again.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
If there is a turbo problem [split hose, etc] this could be why the Tunit didn't work in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The engine needs to be in a tip top condition before a remap or tunit fitting.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car was serviced 3 weeks ago at the Dealership and found in perfect condition. Zero default code at that time (I have a 6/7 page record detailing each and every item checked).
Perfect drive until the day the Tunit was installed. Problems appeared immediatly after the removal of the Tunit.
I cannot suspect anything else but the Tunit box - as anybody else would logically do!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Fair enough, but your post above said "Maybe a problem from the turbocharger itself or an associated component (clogged/disconnected/cracked hose, etc)."

Fitting a Tunit for 10 minutes isn't going to clog, disconnect or crack the hose, [and 3 weeks have elapsed as well since the report] so maybe it's not quite so logical after all?

Anyway, good luck with fixing the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts