Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a used Tele Atlas DX 2008/2009 UK + Major Roads Western Europe from Ebay but I have only received one disc labelled UK + Ireland.

Should I have got two discs or does the one disc include everything? Certainly the 2009/2010 set is described as 2 seperate discs?

EDIT: found some other sites which confirmed there should have been two discs. Ebay seller was quite good and gave me a partial refund so will probably buy a France disc separately off Ebay.

·
1,307 Posts
does this map work in the Treg??? if so is it any better than the normal VW ones???

·
749 Posts
stu said:
does this map work in the Treg??? if so is it any better than the normal VW ones???
The 2009 maps are no differant to earlier rn s2 maps, in that the maps are still 2D and you still cannot put in a house number specific location, but a house number range, the 2009 maps alsp have tmc enabled for dynamic routing to avoid traffic hold ups. You can put in a partial post code.eg e14 2 and you are given a selection of road names, if you only had a post code and house number as destination, you are stuffed.

Compared to the systems on the market nowadays the rn s2 and maps are quite back in the day in terms of technology, i still use my TOM TOM as a back up.

I am not sure what you mean by normal VW maps, as the travelpilot dx is the normal rns2 vw disc.

Also i have found the maps to be quite inaccurate at times, and some times miss sat nav says turn left but the map is showing turn right at which point it really gets its knickers in a twist.

I am looking at a Kenwood or the more upto date rn510 which reportedley a lot better.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Works fine (my previous version that came with the car was 2003).
Cant see any difference except that this later version has TMC enabled which so far seems to have worked pretty well.
Was up north in The Lakes last week and it recalculated the route to avoid problems on the M6.
Also, yesterday coming back from Clacton it correctly avoided the M11 and stuck to the A12 (after initially calculating a route that included the M11).

I also have had a few incorrect directions whilst driving around The Lakes.

Also, still not doing full postcodes though only doing AB12 3

·
749 Posts
harry66 said:
Works fine (my previous version that came with the car was 2003).
Cant see any difference except that this later version has TMC enabled which so far seems to have worked pretty well.
Was up north in The Lakes last week and it recalculated the route to avoid problems on the M6.
Also, yesterday coming back from Clacton it correctly avoided the M11 and stuck to the A12 (after initially calculating a route that included the M11).

Also, still not doing full postcodes though only doing AB12 3
I found the tmc hasnt worked very well for me, never seems to avoid traffic, but does tell me there will be some on the way.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
harry66 said:
That could be a bit tricky! Hope you packed your water wings!!

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noobytoogy said:
That could be a bit tricky! Hope you packed your water wings!!
Luckily for me the Lakes are a bit on the large side so even I managed to avoid driving into one.

I spent a few days up north (my wife is from Lancashire) and for some reason this is the first time I decided to drive around The Lakes and Yorkshire Dales. Didnt have to put the 4 wheel drive to much use but somehow felt like the Touareg belonged there (actually the previous registered keeper was in Kendal).

Any southern softies :wink: reading this who have never left the M25 - I thoroughly recommend driving upto the Lakes - and while you are there check out Blackpool for a laugh!

·
1,307 Posts
harry, glad you enjoyed the poor north!!!... i go to the lakes and north york moors quite a bit, never been with Treg yet, but my disco used to be too wide for some of the tracks so looks like the wing mirrors will be getting folded in and the polish brought out after some hedge cutting with the Treg...

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stu said:
harry, glad you enjoyed the poor north!!!... so looks like the wing mirrors will be getting folded in and the polish brought out after some hedge cutting with the Treg...
I have only had the Treg for a few months and we definitely had a few nervous moments along some of those narrow tracks. Was convinced the road was not wide enough when there vans or or small tractors coming towards us - but we got through unscathed.

·
1,307 Posts
good for you i know what you mean, i scratched my disco all down a hedge last time i was in lakes, couldn't get any closer into side as a coach was coming the other way... :shock: :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts