Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I did this job this morning and took some photos so thought I'd share. Took 2.5 hours
Treg was seeping oil from this seal, when driving the coupling was flicking oil on the exhaust.
Things you will need:

1/ A big breakfast.... Drive coupling nut is tight!
2/ 36 mm socket and breaker bar
3/ A new Seal
4/ Home made tool for locking the drive coupling while undoing and tightening the attaching nut
5/ Threadlocker loctite

Start by marking and taking the driveshaft off at the transfer case, I dropped the rear gearbox support beam to get the driveshaft out of the way instead of dropping all the plastics and taking the whole shaft out. I drained the oil from the TC and then supported the gearbox with a jack.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Rim Wood

Next I made up a locking tool from a piece of 50x 10mm plate (about 400 long). Drilled two holes at same thread spacing as the coupling (copy drill off load spreading washer from coupling). Then find something solid to let the tool rest on, In my case it lined up on the gearbox mount for undoing and the chassis rail for tightening. Fit 2 of the driveshaft bolts and tighten.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design Bumper

Next drive a small flat screwdriver into the crimped over nut (2 places) where it locks the nut onto the output shaft. Then undo the nut... This is where the big breakfast is needed.... The 36mm nut is also locked with loctite..... stinking tight.
Mark the coupling and shaft (to make sure it goes back in the same place) Then remove the o-ring under the nut and the coupling will slide off (Its not an interference fit).

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

This exposes the seal. There are slight recesses in the top and bottom of the seal flange allowing a flat blade screwdriver to get under the seal lip and lever out the old seal.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Next clean up the output shaft threads and seal surfaces. I polished the couplings chromed seal surfaces as there was a bit of dirt/rust. The OEM seal comes pre lubed with seal grease. I added high temp RTV to the seal lip so there was no chance of a leak. Tap the new seal into place, I replaced the o-ring that seals between the coupling and shaft and used more RTV on this. I never want to go here again so do it right the first time.
I reused the old nut, feel free to buy a new one (waste of money) I added threadlocker to the nut and tightened till my teeth were creaking.... I couldn't find the correct torque but as its a shouldered shaft, the nut is clamping the coupling back onto the bearing and the shaft..... too much is ok (its a big thread!).
The nut crimp locations had just gone past the crimping slots so I crimped these using a bent 1/8" punch.

Refit the Driveshaft, cross-member and Refill with oil, Refill with oil and oh yeah, Refill with oil!

Font Transparency Computer component Label
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

The old seals "v" was worn. My Treg is a 2004 R5 with 150,000 ks. I think it has done a fair bit off-road as my next job is a wheel bearing... Gulp.
Hope someone finds this useful. Seal cost me $15 USD and $100 NZD for VW transfer case oil. Probably 1k at the dealers.

Attachments

·
6,288 Posts
Great write up Mike, I have stickied it and moved it so it remains in both transmissions and how to's..

Are the spline bolts M10 or M12?

I like little design feature with the o-ring, you don't get that on a land rover

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
You missed out item 6:

cold beer when finished!

Excellent write up - I always enjoy anything that starts with a good breakfast!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same leak currently on an 04 V6 3.2 Petrol.
Not sure you're still around.
Did you do the job on a lift or on the ground with jacks or air suspension in extra offroad mode?
I'm more worried about not being able to crack that 36mm nut open on the ground. I can always take the Treg to a friend with a lift. and is that a standard nut or triple square 36mm nut?

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Having the same leak currently on an 04 V6 3.2 Petrol.
Not sure you're still around.
Did you do the job on a lift or on the ground with jacks or air suspension in extra offroad mode?
I'm more worried about not being able to crack that 36mm nut open on the ground. I can always take the Treg to a friend with a lift. and is that a standard nut or triple square 36mm nut?
OP hasn’t been around since October 2013 so I doubt you will get a response from him 🤔

1 - 7 of 7 Posts