Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

having browsed the various pages i have just sorted out my tyres today, toyos from event-tyres.

I knew the day was off to a bad start when the guy asked me which "one" i wanted replaced :shock:

i said, all of them but if you like you can charge me for one!

turns out the computer said "no" when i input the request for 4 but nonetheless he made a start and whilst he was sorting out a colleague dropped off the other three tyres.

i asked him about tracking and he said that although the old ones wore evenly that it was still advisable to check ....

oh and i forgot to add that the price had gone up from that on the website too - costing an extra ?30 which is not much when compared to a set of tyres it would have paid for the tracking!

then comes problem 2

no one in Basingstoke can check the tracking!! either their equipment is too small (not something usually owned up to so freely :roll: ) or VW have not published the data for national security reasons.

it seems that VW think we are all setting up our own workshops and tinkering with the tracking for fun and they wont tell us the settings.

Martins of Basingstoke refuse to disclose, as they "only ever do full geometry" and why not? after all why pay ?30-40 to check tracking when you can pay ?300 for a totally unwarranted job!

needless to say i let them know my feelings and was promised an immediate call back from Andrew Lean the manager, not the service manager, best to go to the top (methinks).

anyway that was at 4pm and since then i have chewed off Gareth at VW luxury support for telling me that martins can do what they like as they are an independent company and it might not be legal to tell me the information.

Hell's teeth (as my french teacher used to say) i am an IFA & Wealth Manager not a grease monkey (no offence intended) do they think i want to set up my own franchise or something?

anyway, after a few more phone calls, many turned down, it seems that ATS have the right stuff and i will be off to see them tomorrow.... fingers crossed.

this whole saga really irks me, i always believe in letting each professional do their thing hence i have always had VW look after all of my VWs in the past. what do they have to lose from this (apart from mine and my family's custom - well thats 3 fewer VWs for Martins of Basingstoke to worry about - things werent like this when Barbara was still there!

so experiences so far for this year's tyre change:

1) it seems that almost everyone agrees not to change size and event-tyres said it would be dodgy to ditch the 275/45/19s
2) don't rely on the price until the tyres turn up
3) don't rely on local dealers helping you because "morally they should"
4) VW luxury support - well the VW bit is right (unless Porsche go full on and change that), luxury - well yes as it relates to the car - support .......mmmmmh

5) so much for the VAT saving the tyres went up in price 5% no saving there mr broon (after all we all know that darling is a puppet and broon is still holding the purse strings)

all this and i have the service and mot to look forward to in march..... any advance warning of pitfalls would be greatly and warmly welcomed. my touareg will be 5yrs old in march - anything to be aware of ? still low mileage so not expecting many things to have worn out.

rant over, must get back to work now!

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
lovely Rant there Darren.....

Have you tried Micheldever, I've not tried them for allignment, but have for new tyres, such a professional bunch they must either do it, or know a place that can.... They've a lorry/van division so muct have the equipment to cope. And not far from you if your Basingstoke based... Poor soul.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
It might also be worth getting a quote from a few other VW dealers- my local VW dealer did the full 4 wheel alignment for ?75 last April- bargin

Cas

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Like many others who used event-tyres, I was very pleased with them and you should have got extra discount for buying 4 tyres which shows on the website prices - yes, I know you had problems with the tyre numbers!

I think its worth giving event a ring, complain about the price rise, and ask if you got the 4 tyre discount.

I looked up your tyre - Toyo Proxes ST - and size and 4 are quoted at ?631 tonight.

Was this what you were expecting to pay or is this more than you expected?

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
event were initially quoting ?603 on friday which was when i booked.

Martins eventually called back at 5.30pm (that was my immediate call back) needless to say the data is top secret and if they told me they would have to kill me, thus negating the need for the info anyway but then they said if you dont like it you can go to micheldever tyres!!

i would have gone to micheldever but they were much more expensive and only offered me michelin diamaris as they are "the best you can get" but thats what i have just worn through in 7000 miles !

i have used headley tyres in the past as their prices have been better but i didnt fancy losing half the day allowing for travel , possible waiting time and return journey and at least with event-tyres i could still carry on working at home without any interruption of service to my clients!

finally i got a reply from VW, i call it a reply but you tell me what you think

"Good Afternoon Mr Smith,

I have discussed your issue with our Technical Department regarding tracking data and your request for it to be supplied.

There are may be a selection of tracking setting that could be applicable to your vehicle, we are unsure of what the independent retailers Kwik Fit have done regarding your tracking currently nor can we verify an independents work. We will not be able to provide you tracking information over the phone as we do not know how the information will be used, regardless of intention.

I have obtained the website for you, where we have facility setup to supply this information. This site contains technical details like tracking settings and other relating technical information for vehicles within our range.
This information can be obtained via the site www.erwin.volkswagen.de.
This is where all technical data regarding our vehicles are kept and there are disclaimers relating to the information used from our site that need to be accepted before access to this information is provided.

An account will need to be setup and there will be a charge for the information we provide, once an account has been setup you then be able to gain access to the details you require for your vehicle.

Regards

Gareth Brenchley
Luxury Car Support Centre Advisor
Volkswagen Customer Services

Telephone: 0800 032 2278
Fax: 0844 844 0507
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: www.volkswagen.co.uk

bearing in mind that the call was logged with my registration a lot of this reply is waffle, not to mention the dreadful use of grammar.

But you never know, we might all benefit from setting up an account with them.

·
3,680 Posts
well if it was me I would be taking my T. to get a proper full 4 wheel alignment done. Not saying that ATS do have the right kit but if it just the bog standard stuff like Budget Kwik Fit use then I would avoid. Lucky for me I have garage just along the road that has all the correct settings and use the recommend ballast and all that stuff. Just my 2p.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=57

I quote :

"A proper, 4-way alignment check covers:

Tracking
Camber
Castor
Axle alignment

Equipment link www.alignmycar.co.uk This site has a centre locator. Just key in your town and postcode and it finds the nearest centre to you that uses its equipment.

Link Micheldever Tyres, Micheldever Station, Andover, Hants,Two state of the art pitted multi-angle laser alignment bays. Unfortunately the website www.micheldevertyres.com tells you nothing about this.

Chiltern Tyre & Exhaust, Unit 7 Walter Lawrence Estate, Brewers Hill Road, Dunstable LU6 1BD Tel 01582 609600. They use a lift.

www.merityre.co.uk Abingdon, Andover, Bagshot, Bookham, Chertsey, Farnham, Frimley, Hazlemere, High Wycombe, Kingston upon Thames, Leatherhead, Little Chalfont, Marlow, Southfields, Sunbury, Thame, Wandsworth, Witney, Woking,

Linkwww.hglmotors.co.uk/4wheel.htm HGL Motors
100 Sculcoates Lane, Hull, East Yorkshire HU5 1EE, Tel: 01482 443320"

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Darren

"event were initially quoting ?603 on friday which was when i booked."

Ring event-tyres up - they gave you a quote and they should stick to it. And I'd mention this site where they've had a lot of good reports.

·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a quick update, i went into ATS as planned and they checked over the tracking, said that all was fine (which was good as it matched with what event-tyres said) and what's more they didn't charge a penny!

i'll definitely keep them in mind for future reference!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It may be of interest to owners to learn that VW only cover alignment problems under warranty up to 6250 miles. This seems a rather short period in which to identify problems on an issue which will take time to show itself via tyre wear.

Having monitored excessive wear and detailed checks showed increased wear and 'feathering' on the inside fronts, the wheels were rotated at circa 6.4k. By 7k the same symptoms were appearing and I contacted my dealer to have the problem investigated. it was surprising to be advised that it was outwith warranty at this point. This restriction was certainly news to me and I cannot find any stated restirctions on this area apart from 'wear & tear' exclusions.

The dealer and Luxury Cars did however jointly agreed to check the alignment FOC.This showed that the alignment was out in a number of areas, Castor, Camber and instead of being toe-in, was running toe-out. These measurements are apparently consistent with the wear trend being experienced on the tyres, and I wouldn't have expected it to be out on an '08 car with such low mileage.

Having seen the results, I can inderstand VW's point made above re the numerous setting associated with the 4-wheel drive system in having tolerances for each wheel both individually and also combined measurements for Castor / Camber/ Toe etc., quite comprehensive and not just a simple "xxmm" toe-in dimension.

Given the TREG's abilities as demonstrated by the Unlimited Team both on track and off-road, the earlier TV ads of an 'airbourne' TREG and the impressive DAKAR Rally participation, it does make you wonder why the warranty does not
cover a bit more that 6k of normal road going use without going out of spec.

Anyhow fair play to the dealer and Lux Cars in this instance.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Hi. I've used nottingham 4 wheel alignment. They are a good bunch, and I think they charged me around ?36. They have their own website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts