Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.0 tdi R Line. Canyon grey/ black. Every option except heated rear seats and engine pre heat.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towards the end of a long run home yesterday( 2016 R Line) tpms warning light flashed at me. Tyre pressure screen showed no reading for front right tyre. So stopped thinking I had a flat. But that tyre pressure normal and on restarting no tpms warning and screen showing correct pressure. New Sensors changed a few hundred miles ago when new 18” wheels and Cross Climates fitted. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Towards the end of a long run home yesterday( 2016 R Line) tpms warning light flashed at me. Tyre pressure screen showed no reading for front right tyre. So stopped thinking I had a flat. But that tyre pressure normal and on restarting no tpms warning and screen showing correct pressure. New Sensors changed a few hundred miles ago when new 18” wheels and Cross Climates fitted. Any ideas ?
Some non OEM aftermarket sensors have a lower output signal so sometimes the actual pressure doesn't show. It shouldn't though flash up as a low pressure warning. Wait and see if it does it again. An intermittent loss is usually a low battery but as yours are newish then unlikely unless faulty. Run a VCDS and see what is shows. There is a setting in the cluster for tyre pressure loads or something similar see what it is set to.

·
Registered
2016 3.0 tdi R Line. Canyon grey/ black. Every option except heated rear seats and engine pre heat.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fir this. The new sensors were the correct vw ones though from eBay. My understanding is that the batteries only engage when the wheel is turning so even if they were old stock , the batteries should be ok. Will see if it happens again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks fir this. The new sensors were the correct vw ones though from eBay. My understanding is that the batteries only engage when the wheel is turning so even if they were old stock , the batteries should be ok. Will see if it happens again.
Did you get these from a link I posted on here mate? If so, I think they may be duds! I had the exact same as you, front right intermittently working on and off the last week or so, thought it could just be a one off.
Fitted my other set of wheels today which had 4 of those fitted in March and worked perfectly when removed and all 4 have stopped working. I’m fuming! They look absolutely identical to the OEM ones, I can’t find any giveaways at all but fear they may be extremely convincing knock-offs! Ordered some aftermarket ones this evening to try as heard good things about these, I’ll let you know if they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you get these from a link I posted on here mate? If so, I think they may be duds! I had the exact same as you, front right intermittently working on and off the last week or so, thought it could just be a one off.
Fitted my other set of wheels today which had 4 of those fitted in March and worked perfectly when removed and all 4 have stopped working. I’m fuming! They look absolutely identical to the OEM ones, I can’t find any giveaways at all but fear they may be extremely convincing knock-offs! Ordered some aftermarket ones this evening to try as heard good things about these, I’ll let you know if they work.

The Hamatons are excellent. Good value & good quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes,I did get them after you posted your link. Have you tried getting your money back from the eBay chap? Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve contacted the eBay seller and he will give me a refund on all 4 when I return them. I’ll just have to swallow the labours cost. So let me know how you get on with the Hammatons ( though the link you posted seems to be for gen 3 Treg) and I’ll then order a set as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are getting fitted on Thursday so I will let you know mate, that’s good of the ebay seller! Yeah the Hamaton’s say 2014 onwards so I presume T4 and T5 use the same frequency

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
They are getting fitted on Thursday so I will let you know mate, that’s good of the ebay seller! Yeah the Hamaton’s say 2014 onwards so I presume T4 and T5 use the same frequency

That may or may not be a valid assumption for T5 - the oldest of which are only 3 years old so probably not needed replacement TPMS sensors yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How did you get on with the replacement tpms sensors?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I’ll hold off ordering them until you give them the green light then!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hamatons tpms fitted on Sat and all seems good now. oem VW set from ebay in August being sent back fir a refund.

·
Super Moderator
15,867 Posts
Hamatons tpms fitted on Sat and all seems good now. oem VW set from ebay in August being sent back fir a refund.
Good to hear - I’m going to get my Taragonna alloys refurbished soon and will be replacing the OEM TPMS sensors as they are now over 8 years old 👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts