Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting to the point of needing a new pair of tyres for my treg.Toyo proxes seem to be at a good price and I seem to recal forum members recommending them in the past.
This may seem an odd question but can any forum members tell me if they are a good looking tyre !.To me the look is as important as how long they last.
Thanks.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I just searched google images and there's loads of piccies of different Proxes tyres

This for example is the ST, I think:

What model Proxes have you had the price on?

Chris

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wurzel
Thanks for going to the trouble to look up pics for me.
I had gone on the e-tyres web site and they were proxes s/t. I am thinking about going for continentals now,they are more money but would at least match the front tyres!.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
I think it is generally accepted that there should not be more than 3mm difference between new tyres [which come with 9mm] and existing so it might be worth checking.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding was that as long as you changed the front pair or rear pair it didn't matter if the difference between front and back was more than 3mm but I may be wrong.

·
749 Posts
rob_c said:
My understanding was that as long as you changed the front pair or rear pair it didn't matter if the difference between front and back was more than 3mm but I may be wrong.
No i think it is all four tyres must not have a variance of 2/3mm all round.

It is noted in the handbook.

·
350 Posts
Recommendation from V-dub themselves is 3mm max difference between front and rear to prevent wind up and damage to the transmission as the previous posts said.....

HTH.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit worried now after reading these 2 previous threads.The handbook says tyres should be replaced as front or rear pairs not one at a time so I went ahead and now have a new pair on the rear and a pair on the front that have done about 6k,think I had better check front depths asap.

·
749 Posts
rob_c said:
I'm a bit worried now after reading these 2 previous threads.The handbook says tyres should be replaced as front or rear pairs not one at a time so I went ahead and now have a new pair on the rear and a pair on the front that have done about 6k,think I had better check front depths asap.
Yes thats right you can change in pairs, however the new pair must not have a differance in tread depth of more than 3mm with the pair you didnt change.

if you have only done 6k on the front pair, depending on the tyres you have, you should be ok for a while but worth keeping an eye on the depths.

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have checked the depths and I seem to be ok but will monitor closely,thanks for the clarification Furion.

·
749 Posts
rob_c said:
I have checked the depths and I seem to be ok but will monitor closely,thanks for the clarification Furion.
Its thanks to the peeps on the forum m8, I didn't know myself 3 months ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts