Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
What's the truth / where can I find the truth?
[/QUOTE]

you will find the truth in the comments in this thread my friend.

it always pays to do your homework and to deal in facts, not feelings or hearsay.

all the best with aquiring a new vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Wow - this is like poking a hornet's nest!

It was Volkswagen UK that I called, their main Customer Enquiries number per here Contact us | Customer Service | Volkswagen UK and spoke to an "Ibrahim" in Customer Services

I gave him the specific details for the car I'm thinking of buying and he went off (twice) to check with VW's Technical Department.

The answer he gave me is what I posted here...

And as for dealing in "facts', not feelings or hearsay" that's precisely what Ive done. A lot of the comments on here are just that - anecdotes. I'm spending £15k on a car and want to be sure it's capable of doing what I want it to do. I don't want "Well I fitted one to mine mate and it was ok" nonsense...

I hadn't thought about calling VW themselves as I thought they a) either wouldn't be able to provide info on an older car or b) I'd just get fobbed off with some stupid nonsense. But per an earlier suggestion on this thread I called them, and that's the answer they gave.

Anyway, so far as Touareg's with Pano roofs go, I'm out.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,988 Posts
Still no links to Touaregs with shattered panoramic sunroofs due to towing.

Many of us have spent a lot more than £15k, dismiss our towing experience as nonsense if you wish, it's your loss not ours.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Many of us have spent a lot more than £15k, dismiss our towing experience as nonsense if you wish, it's your loss not ours.
Well said!

VW dismissed the idea a Treg with pano roof cant tow either with factory fitted or after market towbar.

The supplier the OP contacted of after market tow bars dismissed the idea that Treg with pano roofs cant beused for towing.

No links to broken pano roff on Treg used for towing has been posted.

Its not that you kicked a hornets nest, its that you make a bunch of statements that are not corroborated.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

I'm not dismissing anyone's experiences - but as stated at the start of this thread I wanted to get definitive info, not owner's anecdotes.

I was advised to contact PF Jones - so I did, and they said "No".

I was further advised to contact VW themselves - so I did, and they said "No".

I'm not sure what you or anyone knows (or thinks) that's better than the manufacturer themselves, backed up with the same info from a recognised/leading towbar company, but for me, that's enough.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The towing capacity is listed on the V5. Mine says 3500kg and I have a panoramic roof. I trust this rather than some lad in the office who knows nothing and has to ask another other lad who also knows nothing who say no just to cover themselves because they don't know.

A friend of mine has a factory fitted tow bar on his Touareg Rline which also has the pan roof. Same towing capacity 3500kg.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,988 Posts
I'm not dismissing anyone's experiences - but as stated at the start of this thread I wanted to get definitive info, not owner's anecdotes.

I'm not sure what you or anyone knows (or thinks) that's better than the manufacturer themselves, backed up with the same info from a recognised/leading towbar company, but for me, that's enough.
Good luck with your towcar search - be aware that the BMW X5 needs a factory hitch to tow 3,500 kg, an after-market hitch is limited to 1,900 kg - LR had a massive recall on factory hitches on Discovery and we all know their general reliability reputation is pants - many versions of the Audi Q7 are limited to 2,800 kg towing weight.

·
Registered
145 Posts

The really odd thing is tho, I spoke to the same people and companies that you have and they told me the EXACT OPPOSITE.

You are still to send a link to any info you have read about...

Still think this is some kinda windup! LOL!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Been reading this avidly :ROFLMAO:
All smells a bit fishy to me. Luckily I can open my panoramic sunroof to air the place whilst I step out to admire my factory fitted tow bar and wonder at it's 3500kg towing capacity :sneaky:

Reactions: Black Grouse

·
Registered
165 Posts
I asked Witter,

this was the reply.

"Thank you for your enquiry, we do not list any issues having a towbar on your vehicle with the pan roof, please follow the link below should you wish to place an order for the fitting, the vin plate on your vehicle will confirm the towing capacity usually 3500kg"

As thought its an urban myth.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the whole thing is absolute rubbish and posted to start a bit of a slanging match to be honest. Irrespective of the statements made thousands tow happily and without incident using cars with pano roofs.

The OP states they are looking to acquire a towing vehicle but ‘have seen’ something about not towing with a pano roof, claims that cannot be backed up or verified. If the OP is that concerned then go get something else to tow with, but not with a panoramic roof, simples. Maybe Massey Ferguson have something suitable?

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
This is the funniest read I have seen in a while :giggle:

Tune in next week folks for "somebody somewhere once said after market heated floor mats made me impotent"

Its a fact (y)

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is the funniest read I have seen in a while :giggle:

Tune in next week folks for "somebody somewhere once said after market heated floor mats made me impotent"

Its a fact (y)
DISCLAIMER - Only if your balls reach the floor

Reactions: Davey2021

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wind up merchant 😐
Hardly any suv nowadays that don’t have a pano roof or estate cars for that matter, think his roof is not structurally sound 😂😂

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered a brand new via VW dealer a 2017 Touareg with pano roof and integrated / detachable tow bar. Absolute BS on can’t be towing with a pano roof. Ran it for 2yrs also towing double horses in horse boxes and towing the odd track car (my lotus). The only advisory VW and forums gave was to have the updated cooling for those hotter / long driving days in Europe. Mine had this but living in scotland the need vs likelihood of a hot day were slim 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
19 Posts
As I am also looking for a tow vehicle I found this thread pretty interesting..................!
As regards the fan upgrade - does anyone know a ball park cost figure if a vehicle I find needs it and, what is the simplest way to know - can you just find the info under the bonnet on the fan blades etc?

cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
As regards the fan upgrade - does anyone know a ball park cost figure if a vehicle I find needs it and, what is the simplest way to know - can you just find the info under the bonnet on the fan blades etc?

cheers
https://www.lllparts.co.uk/en/product/seat-7p6121203c-radiator-fan-with-fan-ring/mpn/7p6121203c this is for a 2013 7P5 model, If it wasn't specced with a factory towbar it will not have the 850w fan and even some that were specced slipped through with the 600w and for a time VW did offer a FOC replacement, there is a sticker on the end of the fan motor that you can see by sticking a camera phone down and grabbing a photo, Not sure what the info is for the earlier (Pre 2010) or the latest versions

·
Registered
307 Posts
As I am also looking for a tow vehicle I found this thread pretty interesting..................!

cheers
New 850w fan in 2019 was £850 and should take a garage no more than an hour to fit. Mine took 30 minutes and price is what I paid for an OEM fan. Beware of those you could get off flea bay as most are not 850w.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts