Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to buy a Touareg and I tow a car transporter trailer a fair bit (track days). I've seen a nice 2013 Altitude 3.0 V6 TDI BlueMotion but it has a Panoramic sunroof - and I've read VERY conflicting information on the Internet about whether Touareg's with Pano roofs can be used for towing or not.

The car does not have a towbar fitted - so I'd need to get an aftermarket one.

A well known/reputable towbar supplier/fitting centre I called today told me that they won't sell towers for Touaregs with Pano roofs as they can shatter due to the torsional/twisting forces being transmitted through the chassis.

Googling around, there seems to be conflicting info everywhere about this - with NO definitive info so far as I can see.

What's the truth / where can I find the truth?

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,991 Posts
Over 90% of Touaregs sold in the UK have the panoramic roof as standard - in 6 years of ownership i haven't heard of one shattering - but there's bound to be one.

VW themselves don't stop you ordering a factory-fit towbar and panoramic roof - nor do they reduce the 3,500 kg towing limit. Frankly, if a towbar maker thinks that the forces are transmitted through the chassis enough to cause twisting then I'd avoid fitting their towbar and buy a different make.

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
What weight are you towing?

Have you contacted PF Jones - a supplier quite a few gave used?

Do you know about the cost of uprating the standard 600 watt coolant fan if the car does not have a factory fitted towbar?

And about checking the wattage of the fan if you look at a car with a factory fitted towbar as there were mIss- builds where the correct 850 watt fan was omitted.

Others can advise on the towball weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What weight are you towing?

Have you contacted PF Jones - a supplier quite a few gave used?

Do you know about the cost of uprating the standard 600 watt coolant fan if the car does not have a factory fitted towbar?

And about checking the wattage of the fan if you look at a car with a factory fitted towbar as there were mIss- builds where the correct 850 watt fan was omitted.

Others can advise on the towball weight.
Usually 1,500kgs-2,500kgs.

Yes, it was PF Jones I called who said 'no'.

And yes I've read about the fan upgrade - but also read that its not really necessary. Again, very hard to find a definitive answer...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pano fitted as standard and after market tow bar fitted in 2015. No problems and standard 650w fan fitted.

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
Usually 1,500kgs-2,500kgs.

Yes, it was PF Jones I called who said 'no'.

And yes I've read about the fan upgrade - but also read that its not really necessary. Again, very hard to find a definitive answer...
As far as a definitive answer goes, if you bought one with the 600 fan/factory fitted swivelling towbar and VW haven’t replaced it under warranty, I’d get the selling dealer to indemnify you in writing that if any overheating issue occurs during the warranty period of the car, they will repair it FOC.

Other than that, it seems that some owners haven’t been too bothered about the upgrade/misbuild issue and VW have long since changed their attitude to goodwill exchanges and the published specification to the factory towbar/fan.

You can take your chances with retro-fitted towbars with the 600 fan but if your car overheats you really have no comeback and certainly none if you bought privately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as a definitive answer goes, if you bought one with the 600 fan/factory fitted swivelling towbar and VW haven’t replaced it under warranty, I’d get the selling dealer to indemnify you in writing that if any overheating issue occurs during the warranty period of the car, they will repair it FOC.

Other than that, it seems that some owners haven’t been too bothered about the upgrade/misbuild issue and VW have long since changed their attitude to goodwill exchanges and the published specification to the factory towbar/fan.

You can take your chances with retro-fitted towbars with the 600 fan but if your car overheats you really have no comeback and certainly none if you bought privately.
As I said, the car Im looking at does not have a towbar fitted, and is therefore unlikely to have an upgraded fan either.

The lack of any kind of definitive answer is troubling. Maybe I should look elsewhere... BMW X5, Land Rover Discovery, Audi Q7, etc...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you have a definitive answer, as previously stated - a high percentage of Treg were supplied with pano roof and factory installed towbar. If this were a big problem, there would be more reports and all owners with pano roofs would be experiencing the same thing... and no doubt VW would have either stopped supplying pano glass / towbars equipped vehicles?

There will always be 'one' who has a bad experience... but how much stock do you put in one or two reports. Did you find any reports of pano glass exploding on this forum? Pls link to wherever you did, I am curious...

I would be more concerned by having the correct fan fitted... Cass make a good point about having the fan checked / replaced, or getting written indemnity from the supplying dealer.

Have you called VW?

·
Mechanical Guru
2,970 Posts
I've read VERY conflicting information on the Internet about whether Touareg's with Pano roofs can be used for towing or not.
Would greatly appreciate if you could post some links to what you have read?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would greatly appreciate if you could post some links to what you have read?
Too many to copy/paste links from all the forums and websites I've searched in over the past couple of weeks... I've Googled around pretty extensively.

·
Registered
146 Posts

yields -

no reports

make some good points about structure and rigidity

I'm not seeing what you are seeing mate. Really curious to read the thread you have seen!

·
Registered
146 Posts
"Too many to copy/paste links from all the forums and websites I've searched in over the past couple of weeks... I've Googled around pretty extensively."

I cant find one!

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
34 Posts
So much BS written and said by so many people ( including dealers and towbar sellers) with no knowledge of structural mechanics and what the VW engineers did or did not do when they installed a sunroof.

I guess you just make your own decision in the end :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... the definitive answer is in fact "No".

I took your advice and called Volkswagen UK this morning to ask, and provided the vehicle details (2103 Touareg V6 TDI Altitude BlueMotion with panoramic sunroof).

Their Tech Department advised that no Touareg fitted with a panoramic sunroof should be used for towing as the structural stiffness of the body shell is not the same as one without a pano roof, and that (and I quote verbatim) "it is definitely not recommended to fit a tow bar to this vehicle Sir".

I'll look elsewhere for a family barge/tow vehicle now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have just spoken with VW CS (had to talk to them about another matter, thought id raise this as I am curious!) who advised the following -

"no problem towing at all (the chap put me on hold whilst he checked) either with factory fitted or aftermarket supplied and installed by a reputable manufacturer."

So, I am not sure who you spoke to mate, but VW CS just contradicted whoever advised you.

And I still cant find ANY reports of pano breaking whilst towing...

I think this guy is pulling our chains! LOL!!!

:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
now, please quote verbatim -

a) who advised you of this, a dealer? a supplier? VW CS?
b) link to online reports of pano roofs breaking whilst towing

thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
Well... the definitive answer is in fact "No".

I took your advice and called Volkswagen UK this morning to ask, and provided the vehicle details (2103 Touareg V6 TDI Altitude BlueMotion with panoramic sunroof).

Their Tech Department advised that no Touareg fitted with a panoramic sunroof should be used for towing as the structural stiffness of the body shell is not the same as one without a pano roof, and that (and I quote verbatim) "it is definitely not recommended to fit a tow bar to this vehicle Sir".

I'll look elsewhere for a family barge/tow vehicle now.
Quite frankly that’s ridiculous. No manufacturer would sell a car that can’t do what it is intended for and I’ve never read of any Treg with a Pano Roof not being able to tow with either the factory or an aftermarket towbar 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Davey2021

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,991 Posts
Quite frankly that’s ridiculous. No manufacturer would sell a car that can’t do what it is intended for and I’ve never read of any Treg with a Pano Roof not being able to tow with either the factory or an aftermarket towbar 🤷‍♂️
IF it were true that Touaregs with panoramic sunroofs shouldn't tow then the EU Type Approval would show 0kg as the towing limit - as one or two other cars have despite their siblings having respectable towing limits, eg some BMW M-models.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I call BS on the OP statements - nothing stacks up!

States reports of failure are online, yet cant/wont post links (nobody else has found em tmk), so - FALSE

States aftermarket manufacturer says they cant/wont fit to a Treg (despite other have the same fitted) so, i called PF Jones, who said they will fit a tow bar to my 2017 with pano and would fit the same product to a 2013 altitude, so - FALSE

Says VW say Touareg with pano roof cant tow - FALSE

Everything stated by OP is false.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts