Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Help

I am new to this forum and need to change my continental tyres. I currently have a 3.0 TDI V6 Altitude with 275 45 19 tyres and will like to change them to either a 295 30 22 or a 295 40 20, is this ok and or will this invalidate the car warranty.

Thanks for any replies

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I can understand why you want to get away from the Continentals as so many people have reported very high wear rates but why do you want to change the profile?

Also you are asking about different diameter tyres which would require different diameter wheels thereby increasing the cost of the change.

Do you do any off roading - even going into fields for a horse trials or a game fair for example?

Ultra low profiles are OK for road work, but can present problems in terms of comfort [lower profile tyres have less "give" and can be very uncomfortable especially on Britain's cr*ppy road surfaces now] and can let you down [usually in public and thus in extreme embarrassment] even on wet grass.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Noobytoogy

The car is not used off road at all and is mainly driven by my wife, I am looking to change both rim and tyres to low profile purely because they look good on the car. I currently have the 275/45/19 and will like to change to low profile tyres hence I am considering 275/40/20 or the 295/30/22. I was advised that the 295/30/22 might invalidate my warranty is this true ?

The continental tyres only lasted 6 months and cost me ?750 from kwik fit, how I wish I never bought them. The 2 front tyres are already barely legal hence i am looking to replace all 4 tyres instead of only the front 2.

If I go for the 275/40/20 what tyres do you reckon will give the best value for money in terms of wear and tear - Hankook or Toyo ? or any other suggested make

Cheers

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
If I was you I would go for the 275/40/20 as this is a VW option and so will not invalidate your warranty plus the tyres for 20 inches seem to be cheaper (lots more choice/makes available).

I have 19 inch Atheo wheels and for some reason there seems to be less choice of tyre for the 19 inch rims so if/when I get a new Treg I will go for the 20 inch Ayres Rock style- the additional upgrade cost will be recouped after just 2 sets of tyres.

FYI . I put Pirellis on in May 2008 (as they were on the car before and Kwik-Fit were doing a 3-for-4 offer)- I wished I had saved even more money and plumped for the Toyo Proxes. Now after 9000 miles I am down to 3mm so it looks like Toyos next time.

Cas

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
If you want to check the impact of changing your tyre and/or wheel sizes and the effect on overall diameter, width, speedo readings, wheel revolutions per mile, etc., visit here:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you fitted the VW standard 20" Casablanca wheels with the factory supplied 275/40/R20 106Y tyres then your warranty wont be affected, your insurance might need to be notified though, I agree with Nooby, it's a lot of money to pay just for looks, and your car won't do well at all away from Tarmac.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Why not 255/50/19??

Last replacements we fitted in this sizing on 19" Atheos. Ride is good and you'd really be hard pushed to notice higher profile...this size is also VW recognised so no issues there.

Touareg is a 4x4 not a hot hatch so surely priorities are wear and ride??

btw we got Vredsteins after having no success in finding Hankooks. Wear is definitely better than Diamaris/Pirelli fitted previously - done about 18k on them so far and plenty of life left...

·
25 Posts
hi people can any body tell me an alternative to hankook
because i having a job finding any 275 45 19
or can any body tell me where i can find a set of hankook tyres
i live west midland / staffordshire boarder
thanks people

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
my treg said:
hi people can any body tell me an alternative to hankook
because i having a job finding any 275 45 19
or can any body tell me where i can find a set of hankook tyres
i live west midland / staffordshire boarder
thanks people
Event Tyres has Toyo Proxes available in my area.
Members rate Event Tyres highly and Toyo have had a good write up.
Event are mobile tyre fitters btw.

·
25 Posts
might have a look
but your tyre dealers a bit far away lol
but thanks for the help mate

·
25 Posts
thanks mate good web site
can get same tyre a little cheaper up here
lucky me save about ?12 a tyre

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks every one, great website, glad I found this forum. I have decided to go for the 275/40/R20 toyo and will keeps some statistics on wear and tear, thanks to every one for your contributions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts