Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the lucky few to go to Millbrook on Saturday to try out the Touareg 3 on some of the Milbrook tracks. It was excellent, in particular when the driver alloted to us, (at my request), drove us round the alpine track at speeds ever so slightly above those I am used to and showed the true potential of the vehicle, it was astonishing. Whilst there I met up with a few members and realise I could do with a bit of advise. I have a Touareg Tdi Sport 4+ years old with 85k on the clock and can't afford to upgrade so will be keeping it for the foreseable future. One of the members I met said that they were able to get the maps updated and also talked about chipping? to improve performanec/economy. Also the black plastic buttons on either side of the map screen are peeling in places, can anyone advise what may be worth considering and where to go to get things done? Apologies if I have put this in the wrong section.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Glad you finally found your way 'home'

Also glad you enjoyed the Millbrook day, would love to see the alpine circuit in anger.

Referencing mapping the ECU, Simon at E-Maps is highly recommended, should be able to up the BHP and/or make it more economical (Depending how heavy your foot is)

I'm looking into new buttons too, so if I find anything I'll share it here.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
tuser , had the mapping on my 05 R5 tdi auto molested on saturday & its totally transformed , best way i can describe it is drive around with the handbreak half on then have a go with handbrake off , it really is that noticeable , i went with ben at http://www.masperformance.co.uk/ & won,t hesitate to have hime round for my next car

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Also glad you enjoyed the Millbrook day, would love to see the alpine circuit in anger.

Referencing mapping the ECU, Simon at E-Maps is highly recommended, should be able to up the BHP and/or make it more economical (Depending how heavy your foot is)

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your help.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tuser , had the mapping on my 05 R5 tdi auto molested on saturday & its totally transformed , best way i can describe it is drive around with the handbreak half on then have a go with handbrake off , it really is that noticeable , i went with ben at http://www.masperformance.co.uk/ & won,t hesitate to have hime round for my next car
Thanks for your help as well!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Simon did my 5 series and I'll definitely be getting him to do my Treg (when I get it back!).

·
1,307 Posts
here is another option on the tuning front, both Packa and myself are running these boxes and i think it is fantastic and superb value for money.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
here is another option on the tuning front, both Packa and myself are running these boxes and i think it is fantastic and superb value for money.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/
I'm sure they are good but they're dearer than Simon charges for a full on remap. They're less torque too (535Nm v 600Nm). Strangely, Diesel Performance also have the standard torque down as 450Nm when it's actually 500Nm.

·
1,307 Posts
http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/6693-diesel-tuning/page__hl__packa__st__20

i don't actually know what you guys are getting with your remaps, but i am more than happy with my box!!

as you can see if you look at the rolling road chart the Treg is producing 287bhp and 472lbft(over 600 nm) of torque without adding any boost into the equation. with the boost you are looking at 300bhp maybe more when the maps are ironed out.

the advantage of this box to me is that it connects and disconnects in a couple of minutes and also has four maps on it not just one, there fore i can alter the way the car performs again within a couple of minutes.

would someone like to put up some hard figures from a remap please. i am interested as to what figures everyone else is getting.

here is a link to a torque conversion to help get from lbft to nm

http://www.boltscience.co.uk/pages/convert.htm

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
While a tuning module may not be quite as refined as a remap the massive plus is that you can transfer it to a similar replacement vehicle or sell it on and recover a good percentage of your investment back.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Trouble is, unless you put the 2 vehicles on the same rolling road on the same day you can't compare them as different roads read different amounts. Wonder why they quote much lower numbers on their website than you're getting?
As I say, I'm sure the box is fine, I just prefer the remap (and I have had a tuning box in the past).

Have you declared your box on your insurance (you don't need to answer that for obvious reasons)? If you haven't and you have a big accident (god forbid) it will be very simple for an insurance investigator to see the box and void your insurance. A remap is practically invisible.

As for the different maps, I'm guessing that once you've had a little play around you'll stick with the same one all the time anyway.

At the end of the day, they are different routes to practically the same thing (a remapper would be able to tell you why they're not the same but I'm not qualified to go into that). If the box works the way you want it to then that's all that matters and from the sounds of it you're certainly enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
While a tuning module may not be quite as refined as a remap the massive plus is that you can transfer it to a similar replacement vehicle or sell it on and recover a good percentage of your investment back.
That's true. My remap went with my 530D when I part-ex'd it for the Treg.

·
1,307 Posts
i agree each to their own and there are pros and cons with everything.

just to maybe answer a question the maps are custom written for the Treg not standard ones..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts