Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm posting this in the right place

I am very happy so far with my Treg (2.5L 06 model, 20K miles) - I do about 12K miles/year

I just have one nagging worry, and that is about long term reliablity. Any thoughts on this issue from members here would be interesting.

I am a rural GP - I know precious little about cars, and my main priorities from a motor are that it gets me to work (and to patients homes) whatever the weather, and that it doesnt break down. I also tow a caravan and plan to spend a summer sabbatical next year on the continent with family

My nightmare senario is a breakdown with a prolonged stay in the garage to get some bit shipped and fitted. I nearly bought a landcruiser simply for the reputation for reliablity, but the luxury (and price) of the Treg (1yr old when i got it) swung me to VW. [i specifically avoided the discovery after reading lots about reliability issues]

Maybe you get a jaded view reading the various problems people have had with their cars, and perhaps there are far more owners out there with many tens of thousands of trouble free motoring behind them.

what are peoples thoughts about this - i'm really taking about from 30-40K miles onwards. when i get to that point, given my priorities, should i trade in for a newer model...(or a toyota)

thanks for any advice

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Only time I've had problems is from about 70k miles onwards when major things have started going wrong (valve chest needed replacing, Turbo Intercooler Pipe blew off and Turbo has developed a whistle that will be resolved next week). Of these, the only one that ended up with me stuck at the side of the road was the intercooler pipe, and this is a common problem on diesel VW's

To be honest, I'd have expected the turbo problems by now anyway given the way I drive, and the Valve Chest issue was a known fault where VW contributed 80% of the cost when I was 7,000 miles out of warrenty, which I can't complain about

I've had far bigger problems with much smaller cars, so I'd say don't worry, and enjoy

I make regular trips from Bradford to London, and I have to say that the Treg hasn't missed a beat in 4 years of comfortable, inexpensive (so far) motoring

·
Superman
2,258 Posts

Just creeping towards 45k now, and only 'major' issue which still didn't stop progress of getting A-B was the transfer box and a short on the alternator draining the battery.

Car is used for short journeys mostly around the area, with long ventures to North Yorkshire coast and North Devon coast pretty much every month on average...

Considering I've got one of the first 'guinnea pig' models allowing lucky blighters with post 2005 models having the niggles fixed, I'm sure you should put any woes to rest.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
A rural GP who wants to be sure of getting to his patients?

I'd strongly suggest fitting a set of Vredestein snow tyres. These have more silicone and stay more supple in cold weather to give you more grip as well as a decent tread that will deal with mud as well as snow. Stick with the narrowest tyre size listed for your wheels as narrower tyres cut through snow better. Look in the handbook.

Others have reported good, year round performance and longevity on these tyres with the real benefit of being secure in bad weather when you want confidence in the car's ability to get you where you want to go.

And change the tyres in the winter if the tread depth falls below 4mm. Yes, I know you may be throwing away 1mm or so of good rubber but this is a big heavy car that needs all the help it can get!

As for the turbo pipe, given that it is a known problem, why not fit a new one at 60K regardless?

On the mileage you are doing, you'll be in the dealer's every 6 months anyway so ask for a safety check each time to make sure all is hunky dory.

·
430 Posts
I had a couple of Santa Fe's before the Treg with no problems. The tereg has had a couple of niggles but nothing to write home about. Weighing it all up the overall quality of the Treg beats all else hands down as a rural GP you love the feel of it on all those b roads and lanes and lots of room for all the stuff thatt you guys need to perfom miracles. Go for it!

p.s. I once knew a Doctor who lived at Bedside Manor whats yours called?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Had my treg 5 years 4 months with 60K mls. It has never let me down (touch wood). It has only had the recalls, warranty work, and routine services. Just did a return trip to Aberdeen covering about 850 mls over 6 days, it was one of the most comfortable drives I've ever had.

·
3,680 Posts
noobytoogy said:
A GP who wants to be sure of getting to his patients?
home visits :shock: :shock: more like NHS 24

Just joking.

A Treg is as reliable as any other motor you pay your money and take a chance.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
My parents' doctor was a lovely old Irish chap who enjoyed his wee dram. The local police [for whom he was a police doctor] were known to sometimes stop him, put him in his passenger seat and drive him home!

My folk lived on top of a hill.

One day, part way through the good doctor's visit to my bedridden father, a neighbour came calling. The doc's ancient Land Rover had run away and was now on top of his car lower down the hill!

The dear old doc explained he'd be along in a few minutes when he'd finished with my father.

Apparently he walked down, said he was sorry, climbed in his Landie, fired it up, reversed off the damaged car and called out, "You know where I live, send me the bill!"

Those were the days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts