Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I brought my first Treg a couple of weeks ago (54 plate R5 tdi) and i am over the moon with it, but i have noticed a constant noise on the rear end over the last few weeks. I have just replace all the disks and so checked the wheel bearings for play along with the drive shaft but both seem ok. I have removed all the wheels, belenced them and put front to back but the noise is still there...aarrggg..
The noise sounds like a bearing as it starts at low speed then it gets louder and faster with speed, but doesnt go off when breaking or cornering and there are no vibrations through the pedals or through the car.
Please can somone shed some light on this as its getting rid of the few hairs ive got left on my head...
Cheers
Slaky:headbang:

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
What mileage do you have ?

Have you checked the centre prop shaft bearing, can fail suddenly after 50k +, check for play in shaft.

What about the diff ?

Cass

·
1,307 Posts
i agree with Cass, either that or a diff issue??

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for getting back to me,
I have checked the drive shaft along with my mate who is a time served Landrover mechanic and he says the drive shaft is ok and that there is no play in it. The Treg has done 57k with a full Vdub history, i couldnt turn it down as i managed to get it at 10500k off a family freind who had owned it as his company car, compared to the 2700 Merc ML i owned before it drives like a Roller.....lol..I think that the sound is starting to become louder on cornering so im now questioning the wheel bearings, i checked the shafts from the Diff to the hub and there doesnt seem to be any play in those either....the only plus point is that the sound drowns the wife out......
Cheers
Slaky:icon_mad:

·
68 Posts
do you have the same tyres all round as i had a similar noise until i changed the tyres and its much better its a stab in the dark but worth a look eh.
cheers
dec

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
Roof bars??

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
yes I have got the same gyres on all round, I did think of that but the guy that I got it off said he had never heard the noise. I have not got any roof bars fitted so that is an easy one. Cheers though chaps for the ideas, I have been tempted
to get some other tyres to try off a freind but didn't want to if I can help it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have the same problem, mine is a V6 TDI on a 55 plate with 85000 miles on the clock and the noise has gotten louder over the past couple of months, just changed discs and pads all round and had a thorough check of wheel bearings etc but can't find anything wrong?

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Mentioned in an earlier post but could this be a warning of prop shaft failure?

One of the contributors has said that the prop shaft has been checked for play and was fine, I'm wondering if there is an issue when the rubber bush in the bearing gets warm and possibly softens. In doing so the shaft may have some un supported movement and create the whining sound before total bearing failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could it be due to a slightly bulged tyre?

I've had this on a couple of cars, which sounded to me like a wheel bearing, but it turned out to be a bulge, roughly 2 to 3mm high over about 100mm on the tread of the tyre.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Could it be due to a slightly bulged tyre?

I've had this on a couple of cars, which sounded to me like a wheel bearing, but it turned out to be a bulge, roughly 2 to 3mm high over about 100mm on the tread of the tyre.
This is an avenue worth exploring..

I had a very similar issue on my TT. whining noise from the rear end that got higher in pitch as road speed increased. I was convinced it was a bearing fault but it actually turned out to be both rear tyres wearing flats on the inside of the tread.
The mechanic explained that by running a bare hand over the tread of the tyre you could actually feel the very subtle flats that had worn (bit like a twenty or so sided polygon).
Two new tyres later and it was all cured and back to normal. It never recurred either so i don't know what caused it initially.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
If you rub your hand over the tyre one way it may feel smooth, but if you rub it the other way you may feel the flats or castellations - they can be quite pronounced on a tyre that is not correctly tracked - so if you do this, rub your tyres in both directions [and prepare your defence when someone reports you for feeling up your car!]

·
Registered
37 Posts
iv had this a sort of dry noise like the brakes binding slightly having taken it to a few places there all saying its the tyres mine has this cupping of the tread cant feel it rubbing your palm over it one way but can the other way but as there only half worn im loath to change them (falkens by the way half worn in only 10k
)iv had a 4 wheel alignment done wich may help as it was out at all 4 wheels the guy who done this said this is common in fact he hasent had a car that didnt need some adjustment and they come from the factory just somewhere near

·
Elite Member
1,921 Posts
Be aware that even if you have now sorted the alignment, the uneven tyre wear may well keep happening as the wear pattern has now been established.

I had the same issue and although the alignment was sorted, the tyres kept on wearing unevenly. Once I got new tyres the problem never returned.

DS

·
6,288 Posts
If your tyres are not directional doing the front to back then cross over should take off the feathering during the next period.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts