Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today i couldnt change gear using the tiptronic, (yes i was pushing it the right way)

Doesnt work either way up or down, from 1st it will stay in first, i didnt want to push it and took it out of manual mode at about 2.5k revs .

Tried shifting down from 6th, that didnt work either.

Making a trip to windrush on saturday to have parking sensor sorted out, will get them to have a look then.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Furion

·
318 Posts
I towed my caravan to Devon a few years ago with my V10 and hit some heavy, stop start traffic conditions, during which the car froze in a low gear on the auto side. Shifting across to tiptronic made no difference whatsoever and it wasn't until the car cooled down that it returned to normal. VW ran a diagnostic and never found out what the problem had been....
:
The techie at Plymouth said he'd never heard of a similar problem and could find nothing in their system.

If your auto is working normally, then it's obviously not the same problem - Hope it's an easy fix.

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will let you know Windrush have to say about it on Saturday

I have not been towing anything, or off road, just normal driving in town and motorways, It isnt tempreture related, i tried it first thing today and was still the same. If i leave it to increas revs to above 3.5k and increase speed it does actually change, however it has had snowball effect, so the next gear change is that much further away ... wierd. :x :shock:

Furion

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Have you tried resetting the gearbox?

Turn the ignition on - do NOT start.

Press accelerator right to the floor, hold it there [which is why you must not start the engine!!] and very slowly count to ten.

Release.

Turn ignition off.

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noobytoogy said:
Have you tried resetting the gearbox?

Turn the ignition on - do NOT start.

Press accelerator right to the floor, hold it there [which is why you must not start the engine!!] and very slowly count to ten.

Release.

Turn ignition off.
Yes thats the first thing i did yesteday. Didnt make any differance.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Probably a shot in the dark, but what about putting the gearbox into low ratio, driving a bit then back to High ratio?

It doesn't sound like a software issue if the gearbox won't reset

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mjstubley said:
Probably a shot in the dark, but what about putting the gearbox into low ratio, driving a bit then back to High ratio?

It doesn't sound like a software issue if the gearbox won't reset
I will give it a go .. nothing to lose.

·
24 Posts
Had this problem on my Treg last year. The fault was traced to a fault switch on the circuit board below the gear selector.
The board was replaced under warranty but it seems to be a known problem as the service guy recognised the symptoms straight away.

Tdireg

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Windrush had a look for me, it turns out that if you push the gear stich hard enough it will change gear, so the engineer doesnt think its the circuite board, he is going to look into it and get back to me, he agreed it isnt right.
I will the post updated

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Dal,

Sounds like the same switch fault that Tdireg indicated above, doesn't it? Maybe give the guys at Windrush a heads up on that one to go on with?

Chris

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wurzel said:
Dal,

Sounds like the same switch fault that Tdireg indicated above, doesn't it? Maybe give the guys at Windrush a heads up on that one to go on with?

Chris
Yes I did mention it to Paul, their resident Treg guru is on on Monday and he is going to run it by him, the control unit didn't have any errors logged

Dal

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wurzel said:
Dal,

Chris
Yep you were right

Apparantly the magnets had slipped out of place, took it to Windrush and they changed the circuits board, all covered by warranty . Thanks for your help Chris

Dal

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts

All credit to Tdireg.

Glad it's sorted for you anyway - now you can go back to hooning through the lanes with your tiptronic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts