Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone had to have the timing chain replaced on a V6 petrol Touareg? My car has 60k miles and has started misfiring sometimes on start-up. The fault codes point to the timing chain being stretched. My local dealer has seen this fault twice. The bad news is that it will require the engine out and gearbox split, as the chain is at the rear of the engine.
This sounds expensive.

Monty

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
If you haven't already, get yourself a warranty though on some you'll have to wait 90 days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked into a warranty, but I understand that it will only payout if the chain actually breaks, (and maybe causing more serious damage, although covered) I don't know how bad the misfiring or other problems will get before something finally breaks, knowing my luck several miles from home on wet night!
Thanks for the advise though.

Monty

·
47 Posts
Evening All,

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but My 2003 3.2's engine light has come on (intermittently), and after a new set of coilpacks I'm told that diagnostics say my timing chain has stretched, at only 57k miles! Repair cost in excess of £2k....

As a motorcyclist I'm very familiar with chain driven engines, and even Hondas don't shag their camchains at 50k miles, and they're titchy little hyvo things revving to 12000rpm! The primary chain in the Touareg is a [email protected] great thing that wouldn't look out of place on a combine harvester, so the likelihood of it stretching to the extent that the tensioner can't cope is improbable in the extreme. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? It MUST be some faulty sensor I reckon, but which? Any input gratefully received as always! Obviously the dealers are no use whatsoever as usual.....

Supermoto

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Elsewhere I have seen something about replacing the chain's hydraulic tensioner first.

There are quite a few threads on this subject around the www

I'd recommend setting aside a couple of hours and doing some searches and especially so on the 3.2 engine as this is used elsewhere by VW/Audi/VAG

One of the problems in trying to use the search facility on here is that any word has to be to 4 characters or more so Google may be your best bet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Evening All,

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but My 2003 3.2's engine light has come on (intermittently), and after a new set of coilpacks I'm told that diagnostics say my timing chain has stretched, at only 57k miles! Repair cost in excess of £2k....

As a motorcyclist I'm very familiar with chain driven engines, and even Hondas don't shag their camchains at 50k miles, and they're titchy little hyvo things revving to 12000rpm! The primary chain in the Touareg is a [email protected] great thing that wouldn't look out of place on a combine harvester, so the likelihood of it stretching to the extent that the tensioner can't cope is improbable in the extreme. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it? It MUST be some faulty sensor I reckon, but which? Any input gratefully received as always! Obviously the dealers are no use whatsoever as usual.....

Supermoto
I'm with you on that one. <60k and the chain is stretched to the point that a diagnostic sensor claims it's out of spec... I don't think so.

My old Saab 900 had a beefy looking timing chain that never gave me any probs in over 150,000 miles. It also had a triplex chain drive between the engine and gearbox and i dint think that suffered from any stretching issues either.
I've had countless Honda's too with the same method of drive and never a problem.

VW claim to make vehicles that are renowned for their reliability. Why would they include such a highly stressed component such as a timing chain as the engines weak link?

Over sensitive sensor may well turn out to be the culprit.

·
560 Posts
I have a simular problem where once every 4 months or so the engine light comes on , when checked it points to an indifference in camshaft and crack on bank 2.

My mate said the same, very unlikey that the chain is stretched and we where going to change the sensors one at a time. I think there are 3.

I found lots of info on the golf forums as the R32 has the same engine

Will try and find them for you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Evening All,

Supermoto
I agree, as a former fellow biker meself, I've replaced chains on Honda's in the past, but you know they're worn, cos you hear them rattling in the chain case as the tensioner can't cope. As the timing case is against the bulkhead tho, its a motor out to check. Where's the sensor, with a bit of machining, can it sit further 'in' its housing?

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts