Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Gone to change my discs and pads on my 2006 7l and it's the first time i've done them on this car but took the wheel and caliper off to change the disc and found this:
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Gas Wood

Compared to the other side I'm suspecting this "should" have the socket for the plug of the brake pad sensor so if that is the case then is this fixable ? I'm hoping that the metal "pin" pointing down might just slot into a new fitting ?

Also (and this is more concerning) is that i went to put the caliper back on for the time being and i have cross threaded one of the bolts holding it in so does anyone know if it's ok to just get a new bolt in respect of the threaded hole on the car hopefully being stronger metal than the bolt so hopefully it's just the bolt that's broke and not the receiving thread or can i get self tapping bolts etc ? I've never cross threaded anything on a car so not sure on this.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you can't get the pad light off, then simply short the wiring on the car side of the connection, the system operates on an open circuit light on logic
As regards the caliper bolt, I am presuming it is the 7mm hexagonal head slider bolt you mean??
If so, you should rethread the mounting hole (M10 I think) and replace the slider bolt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no pad light on so it's no problem as such but obviously I'd like it working. This is the Brembo caliper and these are the bolts that hold the caliper to the mounting plate on the car, they're not slider bolts ? These are the one's
Household hardware Composite material Engineering Auto part Technology

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to get a picture of the thread:
Gas Tints and shades Wood Circle Metal

I've ordered a couple of new bolts anyway so not sure if to just try one of them in here to see if it'll take hold ok and then if not i've still got another bolt and will have to re-thread it ?

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
36 Posts
Managed to get a picture of the thread: View attachment 38115

I've ordered a couple of new bolts anyway so not sure if to just try one of them in here to see if it'll take hold ok and then if not i've still got another bolt and will have to re-thread it ?
It doesn't look like there's any threads left in that. I would blow out the extra debris from it and run a tap to see if there's enough material to get some threads for the bolt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've ordered a Helicoil kit so i'll use that to re-thread it, the bolt shaft width is 14mm from what i can see so i'm hoping an M14 x1.25 will work....it's my own fault, i put the bolt in with my fingers and it seemed straight but then rather than tighten it with a ratchet or spanner i just put the impact wrench on it.....it was only when it was about 5mm proud that it couldn't go any further and i knew then i'd buggered it up

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i might've ordered the wrong size re-thread kit as I measured the bolt and it looked like 14mm so ordered an M14 kit but I've ordered 2 new bolts and they say they are M16 ? I've never used one of these kits before but are the tap bits the next size up from the original bolt do you know ? i.e. if I order a kit for an M14 bolt then do they send an M16 tap bit and the sleeve/shim reduces it down to M14 ? I'm just wondering because if I HAVE ordered the wrong size then I could do as you suggested first and try the tap they sent (theoretically an M16) and then try the new bolt in there without the sleeve if that makes sense ? If there isn't enough material then I'll have to get an M16 kit ?

·
Registered
217 Posts
The helicoil tap has to be larger than the thread it is replacing. So the helicoil can take the place of the striped thread . If that makes any sence.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does but that's also my query....if the tap it makes is larger than the thread it's replacing then is it exactly one size bigger ? i.e in this case as i've bought an M14 kit then will this make an M16 hole or is it specific to Helicoil (i.e a random size larger than M14 but not exactly an M16) ?
My thought is rather than buying another kit for an M16 bolt then if the M14 kit makes exactly an M16 hole then i can make the tap and rather than putting the helicoil in (which will then reduce it to M14) see if the new M16 bolt with take to it as it is ?
I'd rather just use a good thread on the carrier without the Helicoil insert if i can ?
Not sure if that makes more or less sense when i read it back :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts