Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter for 10 as I'm hoping others will chip in and enlighten me. A similar thread was useful to me 10 years ago here so...

Steering wheel. The haptic buttons that control cruise speed, audio volume on the left and station/track, menu scroll on the right are swipe sensitive - you don't need to press them. Especially cool for the cruise as it swipes up or down in 5mph increments. (sorry if old news but I'm still waiting for the manual from VW - yes I know you can download it!!)

Not a fan of the view button. I haven't got the Carlos Fandango Infotainment/cockpit display so I'm assuming its more intuitive with this. All mine does is scroll between the last 2 active screens.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, rather annoyingly the media storage does not display albums in artist order (like my Audi did). You can search via artist in the menu but you go back to the album view and it's put them all back alphabetically.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 2019 model doesn't have the haptic buttons, just regular buttons. The steering wheel change was 2020 onwards.
Not sure how I'd get on with the haptic. When I've used them before (on other devices) I find the pressure sensitive bit difficult to get right, especially when it's hot and I've got sweaty hands..

The view button on the Carlos Fandango ( 😂 ) cockpit flips between two views as well. One is the classic speedo and rev dials on each side with whatever multi function display you have selected in the middle. The other view has the middle multi function display full screen (i.e satnav or vehicle status etc.) with speed, gear etc as smaller numerals on each side.
Both the classic and full sceen views are fully configurable in their own right.
I also do not use the view button as I stick to the classic dials with usually the TPMS info in the middle. On tricky routes I might have the satnav in the middle but mostly follow the simplified satnav instructions on the head-up display as they're actually very well thought out/executed. Or my Mrs sometimes has the satnav full screen on the infotainment screen and barks instructions at me, usually too late for me to follow them..

The classic view I speak of!

For the cruise control. Once your speed is set a press of the 'set' button decreases the the set speed in 1mph increments, pressing the res button increases in 1mph increments. The + and - buttons give 5mph steps up and down.

How have you got you music arranged on the SD card/USB stick you're using? Mine is in folders with the artists name and then sub folders with albums. The infotainment, when I select my SD card as the source, lets you chose either the folder view so I see my folder structure. Or a database view, which lets you chose artist, album, genre etc.. I've nearly 100GB of music, I have no idea how Jethro Tull made it into my collection :cool:

My folder structure view

Database selections

·
Registered
10 Posts
@fka When you say "Both the classic and full screen views are fully configurable in their own right" can you give a bit more detail? I have the digital cockpit on my current car (Jag F-Pace) but this offers next-to-no configuration at all, save for being able to change the appearance of the dials from "technical" to "performance". You can't even swap the sides that the tacho and odo appear on. I'm intrigued to know exactly what you can do with the VW version.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here's the config page for the instrument cluster. From the two drop-down menus that say 'empty' you can select what you want displayed in the centre of the two dials in the classic view.

Mine are empty and look like this

Here's the drop-down menu so you get an idea of what you can show. Although that list scrolls down at least another full page

Here I've selected Range on the left and Route guidance on the right. Route guidance has no info as currenty no route planned/active.

The info displayed in the centre of the instrument cluster is selectable using the buttons on the steering wheel. Above it shows vehicle status, which includes TPMS data on one page, which is what I usually look at. Can be any number of other things like the satnav map etc..

When you go to the full screen view, whatever is selected in the centre window goes full screen. As below I have satnav selected. (Red marks in an effort to hide my location). You see speed on the right corner and selected gear on the left.

Full screen showing the menu of available items

Going back to the first picture and the drop down menus. In full screen, if something is selected in the drop down menus it appears as below in a box on the left or right side of the cluster.

That's about the long and short of it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
(y)(y)

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How have you got you music arranged on the SD card/USB stick you're using? Mine is in folders with the artists name and then sub folders with albums. The infotainment, when I select my SD card as the source, lets you chose either the folder view so I see my folder structure. Or a database view, which lets you chose artist, album, genre etc.. I've nearly 100GB of music, I have no idea how Jethro Tull made it into my collection :cool:
It's the Jennifer Rush stuff you should be more concerned about! ;)

They are filed in artist folders & then sub-folders of albums. As I said, I took the SD card straight out of the Audi (where it displayed as Artist) and put it in the Touareg. (where it doesn't). In the infotainment system the album display doesn't seem to be linked to the folder system on the SD card (see photo). It just puts them in alphabetical title order.

Audio equipment Gadget Display device Multimedia Electronic device

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nowt wrong with belting out the power of love once in a while 😂

So if you press the SD card icon it doesn't bring up your folder structure? Or the musical note icon doesn't bring up the database options?
What's in the settings for the media player i.e the gears icon?

Mine defaults to the view in your pic, alphabetical order with the album art.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can choose album or artist in the database options and scroll through both options if you are looking for something. It just defaults to alphabetical album art when you then play something. You can scroll through the art, just annoying it doesn't stack them by artist.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 months in and a rather annoying issue. Brimming the tank. It takes an age to get the last 15 litres in. For the first few fill ups I stopped at the first/second click on the pump but noticed I wasn't maximising range/capacity. Anyone else experienced the same? I'm running the TSi so not sure if its the same for diesel.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,928 Posts
All modern cars have fuel tanks with an air gap at the top and are designed to be filled up to the first click on the pump.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All modern cars have fuel tanks with an air gap at the top and are designed to be filled up to the first click on the pump.
Air gaps must vary then because all my other cars (Audi's) would only take another litre max after the first click before brimming. 15 litres is a hell of an air gap.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,928 Posts
Air gaps must vary then because all my other cars (Audi's) would only take another litre max after the first click before brimming. 15 litres is a hell of an air gap.
I wouldn't know - I've always followed the advice not to continue filling after the first click - since the my Touareg has a nominal 100 litre tank there's little advantage in over-filling - on one occasion, I got 97 litres in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
2 months in and a rather annoying issue. Brimming the tank. It takes an age to get the last 15 litres in. For the first few fill ups I stopped at the first/second click on the pump but noticed I wasn't maximising range/capacity. Anyone else experienced the same? I'm running the TSi so not sure if its the same for diesel.
An air gap is needed to allow for expansion of the fuel when it warms up though 15l (15%) sounds excessive. In my RAF days we used to fill older aircraft up to the filler caps usually which often left pools of fuel on the dispersals as the air heated up

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
I only brim if I am about to go somewhere to use some of the fuel first.

Reactions: Andrewgrale

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When brimming from the red I'm getting to close to tank the capacity (75 litres). It's just that last 10-15 litres that takes a bit of time and I don't actually think I've brimmed it, I just run out of patience. Was just interested to here what other T5 owners were experiencing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts