Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, well i am just back from a rather nice week in The lakes with my Treg and the plastic palace, with weather from sun to snow, but who cares fun was had by all!!!

seem to have picked up a passenger in the second picture!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Hey up.
I was there yesterday .
Had a lovely run all around and the scenery was something else.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yesterday was a nice day, i decided to go the week before the holidays though so i had peace and quiet!!

had to laugh though as we went over the Kirkstone Pass one day to get from A to B and what was broken down on the side of the road (well actually blocking the road) a discovery 3..


much as i am a land rover fan i still had to have a little smug grin on my face as the AA recovery truck winched it on the back!!
 

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Stu,
Got to agree with the scenery comments for The Lakes. I went to North Yorkshire last week for the same reason - peace, quiet and gorgeous setting.

Back again next sat.
 

Attachments

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Just noticed I've got 13" Ayres Rocks on my van !
 

·
Honoured Member
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Stu, There seems to be a sheep sniffing your wheel and a Lemming stuck in your grille. Quite a little wildlife collection you've got going.

Where's the site you're on ?

We stay at Camping and Caravanning Windermere (Kendal really) Site in June/July and Castlerigg Hall (by Keswick) in autumn most years.
 

·
Honoured Member
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
HEHEY said:
Stu,
Got to agree with the scenery comments for The Lakes. I went to North Yorkshire last week for the same reason - peace, quiet and gorgeous setting.

Back again next sat.
HEHEY-Looks like your van may be legal soon!!!!!!!!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HeHey where did you go in N Yorks?

fil..the lemming was eaten by the sheep so all ended well in the end!!
the sheep is called Miska by the way and is a bit bigger than a sheep.

i've been to the windermere site, it's down a lane off the left side of the road if it's the one i think.

the site i was on was a caravan club site, Low Park Wood, which is only a couple of miles back down the road from the Windermere CCC site. i like it there for the setting, a fantastic dog walk on site round the woods and it's great for getting to most places in the lakes.
 

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
filgreen said:
HEHEY-Looks like your van may be legal soon!!!!!!!!
I am advised by someone who knows about this stuff, that under EU law, the government and its agencies cannot prohibit the use of a product which has been type tested and certified as safe and fit for use if is manufactured, tested and certified in an EU member state. The government would be breaking EU law if they brought a prosecution against someone using a 2.5m wide trailer, as it would be unfair treatment of an EU citizen. In my view this would be open to abuse from lots of angles, and wether would stand up in court is another matter. Nonetheless 20 April is the apparent date for the ammendment to be made, so the van stays put till then.
 

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Stu,
Was in Compton forest, between Pickering and Helmsley, Spiers House.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
the european vans at 8' wide are also to my understanding VAT free!!! someone slipped up there, wonder how long that will last!!

Spiers House another of my favouite sites, again great for my dogs to run around the forest. you got good taste in sites HeHey!!
 

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Stu,
Love Spiers so much, I've booked a seasonal pitch there. As you say, its great for dogs (I've got 2 cocker spaniels), kids love the forest and a good spot for enjoying the great North Yorks moors. Planning on using it as a start point for trips up to Northumberland which is a part of the UK I'm not too familiar with.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where are you from HeHey?

if it's oop north you want, you need to try out the site at Kielder Forest, it's good too
 

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Manchester. Can do Spiers in about 1 hour 40mins so dooable for a weekend
 

·
Honoured Member
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
stu said:
i've been to the windermere site, it's down a lane off the left side of the road if it's the one i think.

the site i was on was a caravan club site, Low Park Wood, which is only a couple of miles back down the road from the Windermere CCC site. i like it there for the setting, a fantastic dog walk on site round the woods and it's great for getting to most places in the lakes.
That's the one, down Ashes Lane.

We used Low Park Wood for about 8 consecutive years. As you say a great base for the Lakes, but it started getting very overgrown and gloomy, when you're there for three weeks it gets a bit depressing not seeing the sun at the site. Also, no matter where you pitch, there's constant drips off the trees onto the van roof from the rain- a surprisingly regular occurrence in the Lakes.

For years and years they were going to clear the trees and undergrowth and modernise the facilities. But, they weren't allowed to by the National Trust. Think they may have done so now.

When we reached an advanced age, suddenly the other club became much better value so we decamped to Ashes Lane.

I trust you go regularly to Sizergh Barn for lunch or afternoon tea? Banoffee Pie out of this world. And the Strickland Arms at Sizergh (10 mins walk). Fantastic food, always go 3/4 times when we're at Ashes Lane for our summer 3 weeks.

Be back in mid June, first night dinner at Strickland Arms after the tow down from Aberdeen, (with the new Treg-48 days and counting down [to Treg Day]). I'm drooling already!
 

·
Honoured Member
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
HEHEY said:
I am advised by someone who knows about this stuff, that under EU law, the government and its agencies cannot prohibit the use of a product which has been type tested and certified as safe and fit for use if is manufactured, tested and certified in an EU member state. The government would be breaking EU law if they brought a prosecution against someone using a 2.5m wide trailer, as it would be unfair treatment of an EU citizen. In my view this would be open to abuse from lots of angles, and wether would stand up in court is another matter. Nonetheless 20 April is the apparent date for the ammendment to be made, so the van stays put till then.
Probably true about not getting prosecuted.

Unbelievable how many of those big wide Hobbys you see being towed, usually by some moron in a Mondeo.

Don't know how they get away with it. Or our traveling "friends". No tax, no insurance, no get stopped.

Now I've got myself started, feel a rant coming on, I'm going for a lie down.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
steady on old timer watch your heart now!!!! just as well you stopped ranting and settled down!!

i am back at low park wood mid june for another week, then its down to Dorset for two weeks in the summer. i can't get as much time off as you oldies!!

anyway enjoy your caravaning and your Treg, i think you will find it a fantastic tow tug!!
 

·
Elite Deserter
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
fil,
you drooling over the banoffee pie or tugging from Aberdeen in the treg?

I'm sure both are equally enjojable experiences
 

·
Honoured Member
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
stu said:
steady on old timer watch your heart now!!!! just as well you stopped ranting and settled down!!

i am back at low park wood mid june for another week, then its down to Dorset for two weeks in the summer. i can't get as much time off as you oldies!!

anyway enjoy your caravaning and your Treg, i think you will find it a fantastic tow tug!!
That's a fair one. I'm sort of semi-retired I suppose. Work out of Aberdeen every other week. Should have stopped 3 years ago, but I'm not quite ready to stop completely.

Have to go back up to Aberdeen for the middle week of my "holiday", leave SWMBO in the LAkes with the big car.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top