Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is not under any warranty and I have the early stages of the lazy g/box change and the slow take up problem

Now I know a few of you have had a thingy on the box changed under warranty

My question is - what exactly is this unit and what exactly goes wrong with it???

Is it an electronic problem or mechanical??

Does the box have to come out to do it??

And last- is there a way of repairing instead of replace???
Ta.
Paul.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Noobs.

Looks like it will develope and then a new chest it will be!

do VW still offer "goodwill" or is that now in the past

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
You can always ask!

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Defo worth asking, I had a dual mass flywheel go on my 1.9 seat Altea and it was out of warrantee, drove it to Cardiff seat
kicked up a little fuss and they contacted SeatUk and they paid for the Labour £500
When my valve chest was replaced, they basically paid for the parts and I paid labour as it is a known fault - be prepared to play hard ball with the dealer and VW though - there was a lot of passing the buck even when I pointed out that it was a known manufacturing defect

What mileage and year is the car? It will be the biggest decider as to what they offer

The goodwill for my repaiur was because I had been asking them to sort the problem before the warrenty expired at 60k miles, and they only properly diagnosed it 7000 miles later

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car has done 27k and is an 06

It's only got the mild signs but I know it will get worse from here on in
Car has been vw serviced and now on short not long regime

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Car has done 27k and is an 06

It's only got the mild signs but I know it will get worse from here on in
Car has been vw serviced and now on short not long regime
Then I reckon that if it's the valve chest, you have a good chance of getting some form of contribution

I think I ended up paying £480 for labour - still a lot but better than the £1600 for the whole job

·
71 Posts
Buzzard

Did your problems include a nasty clunk on a down change from 5th to 4th when under load ?

Can anyone confirm whether that is also a valve chest problem ?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buzzard

Did your problems include a nasty clunk on a down change from 5th to 4th when under load ?

Can anyone confirm whether that is also a valve chest problem ?

Cheers
no clunk on mine ZTG

·
71 Posts
Cheers MJS
may give this a go if it gets any worse

no clunk on mine ZTG
Oh dear perhaps mine is a bit further down the line, I am on 60k miles. I am sure I read that the clunk between 5th and 4th is another symptom

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
the 60k timebomb ???? it seems to happen with an eerie regularity , if i were running warrantyfree in mid to late fifties i,d be selling soon or bracing myself for a financial spanking !!

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wilko- are you sugesting that if you want a spanking- go look for a treg with 59k on the clock

·
71 Posts
the 60k timebomb ???? it seems to happen with an eerie regularity , if i were running warrantyfree in mid to late fifties i,d be selling soon or bracing myself for a financial spanking !!
So do you reckon it's the valve chest then??

If I get a bucket full of sand and stick my head in it will it go away

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Hi ZTG - I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the valve chest

I put my head in the sand for a bit but it gets steadily worse

It got to the point where I couldn't use kick down in Drive mode, and I ended up driving round in Sport mode all the time (because the engine runs at higher pressure so the symptom dosn't occur)

·
350 Posts
Looks like we've got the same problem!!
Thought we'd hit something in the road the first time it happened. Car is out of warranty with 72k on the clock so might have some agravation getting VW to pay up although it's a known problem.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those that have had the valve chest problem---

Can you now verify your symptoms for us in diagnosis to compare
Thanks alot.
Paul.

·
350 Posts
When you "boot" it the change from 5-6 or 6-5 is very "violent", feels like you've run over something big and car jerks...."normal" day to day stuff is fine it's just under load. HTH

·
71 Posts
Mine does it changing down from 5th-4th ... it is a violent bang/thump that goes through the hole car ... I have to warn passengers sometimes cause it makes u jump out of your seat.

It will also do it in sport mode also but at no other point during the changing up or down process. If I forget to preselect 4th manually before accelerating or going under load with a trailer on ... when the treg drops from 5th to 4th it feels like a bomb has just gone off. This is the only symptom I am aware of ... as have never driven another treg.

So if this is a valve chest problem, I wonder if I have a more responsive gearbox to look forward to when it's fixed. I don't know whether it's my imagination but somedays the treg feels like a beast, and other days a bit limp between gear changes, I can only describe it like slipping the clutch on a manual so you don't feel you are getting the power thats available .. the engine revs sort of waver about a little on each change.

Anyone else .... as Buzzard said can anyone else describe their symptoms if they have had this problem diagnosed or even if they think they have it .... what can we look forward to once its fixed

Cheers Phil

·
74 Posts
I had my valve-chest replaced last November/December with VW picking up 45% of the bill and my local main dealer contributing another 5%. This left me with a pre-Christmas repair bill of just over £900 and I was utterly sickened with the car, it's faults and VW service... It had a failed prop-shaft done only months before. I've owned it since new and had all servciing done by main dealer.

Of course, VW alleged my problem "was not the same problem" as all the others I quoted...

Currently, the car is running well and I've just hit 62K but anything else going wrong and its time to move back to Landrover!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts