Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Hey,

Apologies for the duplicate post between here and General Discussion but I need to cover both angles ASAP.

Well, the deal I mentioned a couple of weeks ago is back on and I'm supposed to be travelling up to buy my Treg of choice this coming Saturday.

Only thing is the seller contacted me today to tell me about something with the transmission which he had forgotten about (and wanted to tell me before I travelled the 250+ miles).

He says that occasionally, when in standard Drive..says it doesn't happen in Sport mode, if changing down quickly from 5th to 4th gear it seems to change a bit harshly and not as smooth as other change-down transitions. The fact that it doesn't happen in Sport would suggest to me (a complete Treg Novice but aware all this stuff is now computer controlled and not mechanical like old-school machines) a software issue?

Does this symptom sound like an electronic / software issue to you guys? If so, is there a standard Gearbox reset that can be done to test / remedy? If so, I could get him to do it before I travel up and we'd both be more comfortable with the transaction.

Thanks in advance Guys / Gals

Expectant Ev

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Hi Ev

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this sounds like the Valve Chest

I had mine replaced with a contribution from VW so I only paid ?380, because the fault existed while I had the 3 year warrenty but the VW didn't diagnose it until I'd done 67,000 miles.

The all in price for replacement is about ?1400

Mine started as a slight jump between the gears but ended up as a clunk that felt as if the car was going to fall apart - but only in Drive in certain driving situations. Sport was fine because it makes the engine and gearbox run at higher pressure so the gear changes are quicker.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
now thats what forums are for MJS , can,t put a price on that EV , looks like you going to have to wait for another wave so to speak , or call their bluff & ask for it repairing before purchase
gutted for you but poorly cars soon fall out of favour at my house

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Ev - I haven't seen your other post about this vehicle - is it a private or dealership purchase? If it's private, haggle and be prepared to walk away if they won't budge. If it's dealership - see what they'll do. It is a known fault on the Treg (I think it was the result of poor quality control on a batch of parts so it can affect any but not all cars from a particular timeframe). It was due to this that VW contributed by paying for the parts and I paid for the dealers labour - not bad to say I was 7k miles out of warrenty when it was finally fixed.

The faulty valve chest won't stop the car working and it shouldn't lead to a breakdown, but it is really annoying as it gets worse

The trouble with this fault is that you spend your time clenching your teeth waiting for the car to go wallop every time you drop from 5th to 4th, and it really takes the shine off the car

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
It's a private sale and I have already got the price down to where it needed to be.

It's a very well spec'd Treg for my requirements..

3.2 V6 Sport model (proper alloys and sport trim which both myself and my wife like)
Air Suspension
Tow Bar
Leccy Leather Seats
SunRoof
SatNav
2 owners with full history

And in the colour I want too.

Ev

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Sorry, but why, oh why put, are you putting your money at risk?

You don't know exactly what the problem is on a car that is 250 miles away - though the valve block is probably the cause - but what happens if it turns out to be more than that?

Warranties don't always cover the full cost of repairs either and many won't cover you anyway for 90 days, so if it all goes tits up before then, you will be on your own.

This is far too big a risk in my view.

I'd find another car.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Responded to you on other post Nooby (ha, my turn
)

Speaking to the guy again it does seem to tally with descriptions of Valve-chest. Doesn't happen in Sport or changing down manually. And will happen whilst under load (up a hill) and it changes down automatically from 5th to 4th.

He's going to do the reset anyway but also take it to a VW mechanic to test / query tomorrow.

Hmmmmm

·
749 Posts
If the fault is consistant, would it be worth doing a gearbox reset to see if it goes away ? I am just woundering if the car has more than one driver perhaps the gearbox is getting its knickers in a twist, however i am not technical so bow to superior knowledge as on above posts.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, he is doing the reset anyway to see, for completeness..

·
31 Posts
noobytoogy said:
Sorry, but why, oh why put, are you putting your money at risk?

You don't know exactly what the problem is on a car that is 250 miles away - though the valve block is probably the cause - but what happens if it turns out to be more than that?

Warranties don't always cover the full cost of repairs either and many won't cover you anyway for 90 days, so if it all goes tits up before then, you will be on your own.

This is far too big a risk in my view.

I'd find another car.
I agree completely. I had this exact problem and have the ?900 receipt for my V10 to prove it. From what I can remember it is a "known" problem but the chance of getting VW to do anything about it are zero. I had a 3rd party warranty and that didn't cover it. Don't go there friend or get more knocked off the price

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Jason said:
I agree completely. I had this exact problem and have the ?900 receipt for my V10 to prove it. From what I can remember it is a "known" problem but the chance of getting VW to do anything about it are zero. I had a 3rd party warranty and that didn't cover it. Don't go there friend or get more knocked off the price
Errrr....he's bought it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And all was fine, thankfully...

Not only bought it but chuffed to bits with it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
And all was fine, thankfully...

Not only bought it but chuffed to bits with it...
I have just had the very same thing diagnosed on mine, sudden bang when auto shifting from 5th down to 4th under load,. Its definetly the vavle body/ soleniod bit.Luckly mine is still under a dealers warranty and is going to foot the bill. Quoted £800 for the valve body plus fitting total £1400... ouch. VW know that there is a problem and have introduced a modified valve block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts